Blow out on the freeway - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #101

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I had new shackles and brackets installed in my last trailer, the welder who did the work said he sees axles knocked out of alignment all the time on trailers. Hitting curbs and such is very common. none more so then on landscaper trailers.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #102

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It seems that many people are trying to use situational ethics to justify their driving at speeds above the posted limit . That logic does not compute in my world
My partner is on restricted time for many of our trips together so I get the issue of limited time but I do the math ahead of time as to how many miles and the speed and adjust our plans as I really don't like doing trips that require a 1600 or more mile drive a day at 65 mph.

Heck just doing the math on how long/far and how fast someone on restrictive time would have to travel while towing to save "a day" of travel scares the **** out of me! In order to travel 1300 miles at 55 it takes 24 hours, in order to do 1300 miles in 12 hours of driving ( max length of time I am willing to drive on any give day) one would need to be towing at 109 mph!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #103

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Situational Ethics
Didn't we used to call that "The end justifies the means".
I don't agree with it either.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #104

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Looks like those tires were a disaster about to happen, your blowout could have had far worse results. Did you get the new tires balanced? I found I had to ask them to do such, it was not standard.

Walmart needed two hours to balance the tire. I didn't want to wait. I plan to get the balancing done soon though, when we are staying at Sue's parent house.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #105

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
There is not much wear thickness or road distance between bald and belt on most tires.
The tire pictured appears to have been subjected to excessive negative camber.
Check the tread where there is some. If you find more than 5/32nds anywhere or if it is
progressively deeper as you move away from the exposed belt, then your axle may have been habitually overloaded or it is worn to the point of needing replaced.
If the good part of the tread is worn to less than say...4/32nds then it may be that your axle has some wear but is OK. A little negative camber wear can be tolerated since any trailer tire should be replaced when the tread wears to 3/32nds anyway.
Most will warrant replacement even sooner. With a little axle wear you can still get reasonable tire life and replace them when the inside tread reaches 3/32nds.
When this starts to happen too often, then it is time to consider a new axle.
If you use the "Logan's Run" method for tire replacement, then you could base your axle replacement decision on whether the inside tire wear commonly reached 3/32nds before your arbitrary time limit.

BTW I've seen plenty of tires on cars which were at least that bad, and the TPMS is no substitute for tire maintenance.

It's a three year old trailer with a 3500# rubber torsion axle. Wouldn't just one edge be worn away if the camber was out of spec?

Denny Wolfe
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #106

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
It's a three year old trailer with a 3500# rubber torsion axle. Wouldn't just one edge be worn away if the camber was out of spec?

Denny Wolfe
A hands-on look is always better,so my response was elaborate in order to cover most likelihoods.
Generally... underinflation will cause a tire to wear on both edges fairly evenly.
Slight to moderate overloading will mimic underinflation with slightly more wear to the inside edge, caused by induced negative camber.
If the tires have been rotated they will develop wear characteristics of each side. A torsion axle wears each side independently.
Sad revelation... Many torsion axles do have or develop a slight bit of negative camber from new. (nature of the beast)

Question...
Which brand of axle? Most come with "EZ-Lube", but Lil'Snoozy says it supplies "Bearing Buddies"??
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #107

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I am thinking back to when I picked up my Hauley. I seem to recall looking at the tires that came on it, and thinking that the tread did not look even from side to side. I mean, the tread was deeper in the center than it did toward the edges. I think I even checked it with a gauge to confirm this.

Those tires didn't last me long, because of an injury to the axle. So they were replaced after only 3-4 months. But if my recollection is accurate, and if they were the same brand as Denny's, then maybe this wear pattern is simply a reflection of the tires' construction. That pattern doesn't make sense to me otherwise, because it looks like classic underinflation/overload but those possibilities have been ruled out.

Trailer (ST) tires seem to be made for low mileage, probably because most trailers sit so much the tires age out before they wear out. All the more reason IMO to use LT tires whenever such will provide sufficient load capacity and needed service life. LT tires have higher speed ratings and much longer tread life. A trailer like Denny's is being towed many miles, and a 40,000 mile (or greater) tire could prove beneficial.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #108

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Question...
Which brand of axle? Most come with "EZ-Lube", but Lil'Snoozy says it supplies "Bearing Buddies"??
I think Lil Snoozy might use modified boat trailers. They sure look like it to me. Many, if not most, boat trailers use bearing buddies, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #109

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
My axle is made by Tie Down Engineering. It is the EZ Lube. The trailer is an LS3 , 2014.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #110

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
LIL Snoozy

Yes Lil Snoozy rides on a Wesco boat trailer with drum brakes (surge style) It's a 3500lb. torsion axcel set up. The fiberglass bottom and top go together just like a boat does ,shoe box style . My Snoozy rides on 205 Radial 14 in tires . It tows very nice .The only problem is backing up with a short trailer . I need to keep practicing
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #111

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Yes Lil Snoozy rides on a Wesco boat trailer with drum brakes (surge style) It's a 3500lb. torsion axcel set up. The fiberglass bottom and top go together just like a boat does ,shoe box style . My Snoozy rides on 205 Radial 14 in tires . It tows very nice .The only problem is backing up with a short trailer . I need to keep practicing

Well you will get some practice this afternoon 😳

Denny Wolfe
Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #112

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Snoozy

we are in 95 be there by 2pm
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #113

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I used Shoreland'r boat trailers in a former life. They look like Lil Snoozy trailers but had leaf spring suspension. They were a breeze to back up compared to the Scamp 13. I never had any problems with sway, and they tracked like a dream. The boats were 4-5,000 lbs.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #114

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I used Shoreland'r boat trailers in a former life. They look like Lil Snoozy trailers but had leaf spring suspension. They were a breeze to back up compared to the Scamp 13. I never had any problems with sway, and they tracked like a dream. The boats were 4-5,000 lbs.

Tom
LOL most probable due to the total length of the boat trailer being longer than the Scamp 13'? The shorter the trailer the harder it is to back up - the slightest of steering wheel movement results in big movement by little trailer. It does indeed take some getting use to!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #115

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Carlisle tire has a PDF on tips and best practices for towing and trailer tires.
Carlisle recommends (Best Practice) that towing speeds do not exceed 60 MPH
There was no mention in the article about towing at speeds above the tire's rating of 65 MPH.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote