Blowout - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
How can a valve stem cause a blowout?

From the dictionary... Blowout - a sudden bursting or rupture of an automobile tire.

The valve stem is not even connected to the tire, it is attached to the rim. Maybe if there is a tube in the tire the valve stem could be involved? If the valve stem leaks, that would be a flat.
How about a sudden loss of air because the valve stem has been torn from the rim? It can happen.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The first thing replaced on a used trailers should be tires. Metal valve stems are nice but if you replace you tires every 5 years, less if in southern climate, the rubber stems are fine.
For less than $200 you can order 2 new tires mounted on new wheels- http://www.easternmarine.com/14-15-a...ailer-Tire-Rim
that is where I got mine, shipped to my door and I already had the HF jack- worked like a charm!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Several years back, there were major problems with rubber valve stems manufactured in China. Anyone in the know, immediately had the rubber ones replaced with metal, not only on trailers but tugs as well. I'd think most people only carry one spare. If you're boondocking and experience two flats or blow outs
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had the same thing happen on my big Burro. The actual blowout was a non event.. thought I too, was hitting the rumble strips, then I saw the trailer leaning to one side and knew what happened. Sway control, wieght distibution and a clear head saved me from any more damge than a new tire. There was only a few scraps left on the rim when I stopped.

I used my Jeep scissor jack to get it off the ground, put on my spare, waited for manly Dave Boduex to come and tighten the lugs and I was on my way.

I had Good Sam, but for stuff like this, it was faster to do it myself.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The first thing replaced on a used trailers should be tires. Metal valve stems are nice but if you replace you tires every 5 years, less if in southern climate, the rubber stems are fine.
For less than $200 you can order 2 new tires mounted on new wheels- Trailer Parts Superstore - 14, 15 and 16 inch Trailer Tire & Rim
that is where I got mine, shipped to my door and I already had the HF jack- worked like a charm!
I notice that those tires all all bias-ply. The ones on my camper now are radials (Karrier, 5 ply, ST205/75R14 50psi 1760lbs.). Is there any advantage of one over the other? I do like the idea of buying tires made in the USA like the CARLISLE tires in your link.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I for one had all my valve stems changed. After hearing about the poor rubber compound in "Made in China" stems I checked mine!!! Sure enough...wiggle the stem and watch the cracks open and close. YIKES! Between '06& '07 aprox. 13 million stems were made and I got 3 of 'em. Ten buck$ a tire to change the stems and no repeats as yet. Trailer Mfg'd in '07 with a Dexter 3500# axle with 15" Goodyear Marathon Radials. Knock on wood I'm still running the original tires.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
down under 2.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Andy, As Greg stated it can and did happen. I had read about the valve stem issues and had taken the trailer down and had the stems changed before we took off ( dumb, a$$ put on faulty stems!) . Our blow out was the first trip after getting the Casita home, total blowout! Tire everywhere! Of course I had new tires put on in the next town. The comments from the tire shop (second tire shop in a week) was, those are new tires they Shouldn't blow out! In my world "shouldn't" shouldn't be a word.................................

The next valve stem issues was later that camping season and the stem completely cracked (which allowed air to blow out if the stem wasn't in the right position), I found it while checking tire pressure before heading down the highway. I drove 4 blocks praying (God answered that prayer!) I would make it to the tire store. Again had stems changed (metal) and haven't had an issue again.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Sure enough...wiggle the stem and watch the cracks open and close. YIKES!

Exactly, What happened to my second valve stem issue!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Andy, As Greg stated it can and did happen. I had read about the valve stem issues and had taken the trailer down and had the stems changed before we took off ( dumb, a$$ put on faulty stems!) . Our blow out was the first trip after getting the Casita home, total blowout! Tire everywhere! Of course I had new tires put on in the next town. The comments from the tire shop (second tire shop in a week) was, those are new tires they Shouldn't blow out! In my world "shouldn't" shouldn't be a word.................................

The next valve stem issues was later that camping season and the stem completely cracked (which allowed air to blow out if the stem wasn't in the right position), I found it while checking tire pressure before heading down the highway. I drove 4 blocks praying (God answered that prayer!) I would make it to the tire store. Again had stems changed (metal) and haven't had an issue again.
I agree that a valve stem problem can cause rapid tire deflation but that is not a blow out. A blow out is when the tire bursts or ruptures. It seemed to me that the term was not being used correctly. Rapid tire deflation due to any reason can be dangerous, and if the tire is run without air for a while, any flat can look like a blowout because the tire is torn apart.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #30

I didn't run very long without air. I actually heard it blow and started slowing it down and getting over. The valve stem was completely blown out, broke apart .... What ever it was, (I will continue to believe it was a valve stem issue) I know I don't want to have that happen again. It wasn't fun and to think what really could have happened had I not heard it, actually I prefer the way it happened cause I was on top of it.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I notice that those tires all all bias-ply. The ones on my camper now are radials (Karrier, 5 ply, ST205/75R14 50psi 1760lbs.). Is there any advantage of one over the other? I do like the idea of buying tires made in the USA like the CARLISLE tires in your link.
I have no idea what the physical difference is between radials and bias plys, but I can certainly testify to the difference in performance when used on my Trillium.
When I bought the trailer it had brand new (I got the receipt) radial tires on it. The fellow I bought it from had taken the wheels to Wal-Mart and had the tires put on;I suppose they didn't know or care what kind of vehicle they were for. The first time I took it on the highway it started swaying (at about forty mph) so bad that I turned around and went straight to the local RV guy, thinking I needed sway bars or something. He took one look at my tires and said that radials were wrong for the trailer and that I should go straight to the tire store and buy proper, bias-ply trailer tires.
Les Schwab ( all over here in the West), confirmed the diagnosis, I bought two bias ply tires, and resumed my trip. The difference was night and day. Problem solved!
Maybe there are radials that will work for you; just make sure to ask the seller (or your trailer's maker) if they're appropriate for your trailer.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #32

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
The sidewalls on trailer tires are much stiffer than car tires, the ST stands for special trailer. Radials are good car tires, smooth ride better gas mileage, long life. Maybe not so good for trailers.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #33

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Using:
ST205/75r14 Radial c rated 6 ply trailer tires, max 65 psi set at 38 psi per trailer manufacturer recommended tire pressure listed on inside of closit door. The tires support 1870 lbs. set @ 50 psi each (they rate higher than axle so great)
Trailer shipped original same size b rated tires with only 1500 lbs. each max each.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #34

Registry
Hi: Robin G...For that very reason, " I actually heard it blow", I tend to tow with the radio turned off!!! I have towed with both ST. Carlisle Bias Ply tires and Goodyear Marathon Radial tires properly inflated to trailer specs. The radials seemed to have more bounce...but no more sway.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #35

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Maybe shocks would help with bounce?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I've had absolutely no problem with sway with my radials, even without any type of anti-sway device. They are ST tires; maybe Francesca's radials weren't STs and were just regular car tires?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #37

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I've had absolutely no problem with sway with my radials, even without any type of anti-sway device. They are ST tires; maybe Francesca's radials weren't STs and were just regular car tires?
I'll bet you're right, especially since it sounds like Wal-Mart doesn't sell trailer tires. Who knew there was any difference? I guess the lesson here is passenger car tires DON"T BELONG on trailers! I hope everybody goes out and looks for those magic "ST's (Special Trailer)" on their tires.....
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #38

Registry
Hi: Borden... I believe that ST. Radials still have more flex in the sidewalls than Bias ply ST's. I didn't mind the bounce as I figured it may help the tortion tube rubbers last longer. Just IMHO!!! What I do know is that items placed on the floor of our 5.0 are still where I put them when we arrive.