Blowout! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #21

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Blowout!

I too recently had a bad tire. A bulge in the tread at under 5000 miles which I was told was separating belts. I installed the TST tire pressure monitoring. (The one with replicable batteries that screws onto the valve). I have used it on one trip and all seems to work pretty well. It takes about 5 minutes for the reader to pick up the signal and from that point on you get alternating info between the two tires and warning limits you can set on pressure and temperature. I purchased my system from Plug It Right. I received at in a couple of days, at a good price. (http://www.plugitright.com/TST-Tire-...ng-System.html). These guys can sell you a system with as few as two sending units, which is not always the case with other vendors.

This will not solve all problems but slow leaks, leading to eventual failure, will be caught early.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
I also just recently purchased from Plug it right. I was very happy with the whole experience. They shipped fast and everything worked. It gave me some piece of mind. You get temperature and psi readings. I cannot see my tires when towing, this was a good solution to overcome that. I also think that TT tires fail a lot, and if I can catch a problem before a tire shreds, I will probably save myself money and hopefully prevent fiberglass damage.
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTom View Post
I also just recently purchased from Plug it right. I was very happy with the whole experience. ..
I quote from their website:
I am learn the ins & outs of this product, am am getting very close to adding it to my Store front.

Is this another Chinese company with a US "front"? That seems to be very common now, esp on eBay. I'm not saying that they are not a good company because I have no way of knowing. That sentence does not give me confidence however. Perhaps they don't know the English language well enough to offer me good customer service.
EDIT: Their ABOUT US page has information that shows this is a real US-based (small) company.

PS.. I know I will catch heck for judging based on grammar, but face it, that's the way life on the net is. You are judged by your use of language.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Plug It Right

Is this another Chinese company with a US "front"? That seems to be very common now, esp on eBay. I'm not saying that they are not a good company because I have no way of knowing. That sentence does not give me confidence however. Perhaps they don't know the English language well enough to offer me good customer service.

PS.. I know I will catch heck for judging based on grammar but face it, that's they way life on the net is. You are judged by your use of language.

I know what you mean. It is unusual to get a US based person on the phone these days. Attached is the link to the Plug It Right site. I have talked with Diana a few times on the phone. They are traveling with their 5th wheel, but are very responsive to calls.

About US 941-416-0918 10 -10 7 days a week plugitright@gmail.com

Not sure where the TST devices are actually manufactured but they are based in Georgia, (the State).

Truck System Technologies
Old 06-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #25

North Carolina
Let me add another thought.. "Plugitright" says
"For the 507 FT & 510 sensors it is recommended you use metal valve stems if your rubber valve stems are over 3 years old or..."
Then he (they) go on to explain that they had a valve stem failure,
We pulled into the next parking lot and found the 3 year old rubber valve stem leaking.

and the failure was caught by the monitor when the pressure dropped.

But isn't possible the the added weight of the sensor on the end of the valve caused the failure?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #26

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
... I have talked with Diana a few times on the phone. They are traveling with their 5th wheel, but are very responsive to calls.
There IS something to be said for buying from someone who actually uses the product.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #27

California
RE Valv Stems

I was replacing my tires anyway so I had metal valve stems put in place. I also had the tires balanced with the sensors in place, but one did not even need any weights.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #28

California
Good Input From the Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
There IS something to be said for buying from someone who actually uses the product.
Yes, they seem to be a small operation, selling a few products that they either designed themselves, or have experience with on their own RV. Very knowledgeable on the phone.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #29

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
I was replacing my tires anyway so I had metal valve stems put in place. I also had the tires balanced with the sensors in place, but one did not even need any weights.
Indeed, I don't think I would be comfortable putting an external sensor on my valve stems until I get metal stems. My tires were manufactured around Christmas of 2014 so there is some time until I need to replace them and I would have to have them remounted only for the metal valve stems.

I would assume that the metal stems also help give more accurate temperature measurements.

EDIT: TST says use metal stems. See "Do I need special valve stems?" I am going to my tire place and see how much it would cost to replace my valve stems with metal ones.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
EDIT: TST says use metal stems. See "Do I need special valve stems?" I am going to my tire place and see how much it would cost to replace my valve stems with metal ones.
Well... the guy at Discount Tire just told me it was $3 for the metal valve stems and no charge for putting them in. I will believe that when I see it, which will be next week.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #31

Name: Diana
Trailer: Carriage 5th wheel
Texas
May I add a clarification? The learning the ins & outs of this product quote is about the Internal Tire Pressure system only not the external sensor systems. I have been using mine for 6 years of fulltime RV use. If I misunderstood the quote, I do apologize. Thank you, Diana

Quote:
I quote from their website:
<b>
I am learn the ins & outs of this product, am am getting very close to adding it to my Store front.
</b>

EDIT: Their ABOUT US page has information that shows this is a real US-based (small) company.

PS.. I know I will catch heck for judging based on grammar, but face it, that's the way life on the net is. You are judged by your use of language.
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #32

Name: Diana
Trailer: Carriage 5th wheel
Texas
I'd like to offer an answer if the moderator does not object. This is for information only. The added weight of the sensor cannot cause a failure. The only way a sensor can report a failure is if, as in our case, our older rubber valve stem had started to dry out causing minor surface cracks. That is when the weight of our sensor did open that crack enough to alert us, which I think is a good thing. It's just my opinion for. Thank you, Diana.
Quote:
Let me add another thought.. "Plugitright" says
Quote:
"For the 507 FT & 510 sensors it is recommended you use metal valve stems if your rubber valve stems are over 3 years old or..."
Then he (they) go on to explain that they had a valve stem failure,
We pulled into the next parking lot and found the 3 year old rubber valve stem leaking.

and the failure was caught by the monitor when the pressure dropped.

But isn't possible the the added weight of the sensor on the end of the valve caused the failure?
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #33

North Carolina
Update: I did buy the TST TM-507SE (external) sensors from Plugitright. I do like the idea of internal sensors but these are working out well. Although Plugitright did not answer my email asking when to expect the package, it actually arrived very fast, faster than I would have even expected to get a reply by email since the order and email were sent on a weekend. That was nice since I had a long trip planned and I had time to get everything set up in time for it.

I did put the metal valve stems on the trailer’s tires. The cost was $3 each so it was a no brainer, especially after seeing some reports on the web on how the sensors allegedly caused rubber valve stems to flex (in one case, even to the point of the sensor leaving marks on the wheel when pushed against it at speed). I also opted for balancing, so with tax, etc. it was $27 for the two tires or close to $180 for the TPMS with two sensors and two metal valve stems with the tires balanced with the sensors in place.

I also chose to remove the anti-theft device from the sensors. That made then just a little bit lighter. I don’t think the risk of theft is very high and I take them off the wheels anyway when parked for more than a day. That also helps the batteries last longer (they are supposed to only transmit when under pressure).

In order to extend battery life, the sensors only transmit about once every five minutes unless there is a sudden drop in pressure, in which case the unit will immediately alarm. I can’t say how fast or how much the pressure drop must be to trigger an instant alarm but I can say that when I remove the sensors from the valves, and the pressure immediately goes to zero, the unit alarms every time.

In the short time I have owned the TPMS I have put on 1,650 miles and been very happy with added piece of mind that comes from seeing the pressure and temperature on the trailer’s tires. Plugitright not only shipped the kit very quickly, they also had a great price.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #34

North Carolina
Update #2.

I owe PlugItRight an apology for saying that they did not answer my email. It turns out that they did.

For some unknown reason, my email client (MS Outlook) was not receiving all the emails for one of my accounts. It seemed to work fine and reported no errors, but some emails were never retrieved. I found them by going to the web interface. I then deleted the account from my email client and recreated it with the same parameters, and got all my missing email. This was not a case where they were considered junk mail, they just didn't download at all. Weird.

So I wanted to set the record straight and I have to rate the customer service for PlugItRight as present at A++++.