Blueprint, schematic, specs on Lil Bigfoot frame? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-10-2016, 12:20 AM   #15

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Might be difficult.

Bigfoot Industries suffered a serious setback in the spring of 1998 when Terry Mayall, who founded the company, and two directors died in a plane crash near Moses Lake in Washington.
It would be difficult for me to justify making an expensive call to Canada to get information I don't personally need.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
I think we may have exhausted this resource also, our own RV repair people reported being in contact with a family member of the original Bigfoot people, but never getting a response.

We seem to be on the right track with our commercial trailer repair company, who have an axle on order and a plan for installation. As others have reported, getting a replacement done properly seems to be entirely dependent upon the intelligence/experience level of the repair people... otherwise you might wind up with a new axle but a trailer which is mainly good for boondocking and high water crossings.

We will report in once this axle ARRIVES and gets INSTALLED.

But thank you, K.C. for digging into this, your interest and assistance is much appreciated!

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
We seem to be on the right track with our commercial trailer repair company, who have an axle on order and a plan for installation.
I have been looking at the potential of ordering a lift kit for a Dexter axle locally. The local representative is Six Robblees; they likewise have an emphasis on the needs of heavy freight haulers. So, I can appreciate how you feel taking the "little trailer" to a place like that.

My silly question (having absolutely no idea what a Bigfoot's frame looks like!) is why not reconfigure the mounting plates on the frame and buy a standard axle. There's no real need to answer that, but I'll probably Google some as my inquiring mind wants to know.

I have provided a link to something that might help you ferret out the required "start angle". It indicates the loaded and unloaded measurements associated with various configurations. Maybe it will help verify what you currently have.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...nformation.pdf
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Personally I don't think those engineering documents were destroyed as is rumored. I think there are still copies of all of them. Most people don't throw out the life's work that they were very proud of. Children often do save family stuff.

Asking Craig for a comformation of what happened to the original build sheets for the trailers is an option & he may well have some good suggestions as to how to replace the axle easily (including simple taking the trailer to a reputable axle repair company), but as Glenn rightly pointed out asking "his folks" as you suggested is not an option, as his father had not been involved in the company for a number of years prior to the bankruptcy due to having died in a plane crash.

As such its unlikely Craig's family every had personal possession of the build sheets ;-)

All the paperwork for the company became under the control of the Bankruptcy Company once the doors closed. As there was a long time delay between the finalization of the bankruptcy and the eventual purchase of what was left of the company, they did what they had to do to keep cost down - including reducing the volume of paper work that was not legally required to be retrained in order to save on storage costs.

Pretty sure as the folks who currently own and operate the current company, at the same plant as the old company and who also worked for the old company could get their hands on the old build sheets &/or blue prints they would have.

BTW the OP is not the first party to ask the current owners about an older model Bigfoot and to be told they no longer have the original build sheets for older models.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I have been looking at the potential of ordering a lift kit for a Dexter axle locally.
Get the custom 3" lift from Orbital Machine Works as I did for my SD. A very quality built piece and an easy install.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #20

Name: Slawek
Trailer: custom
California
Lil Bigfoot 13' needs new axle
This should help.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #21

California
Registry
Civil guy, I think that reconfiguring mounting plates is what we are doing (or something similar). DH drew a plan for welder, who agreed this was the way to proceed.

I'm completely stoked as we heard yesterday the AXLE IS HERE. They are able to do the repair this week, but unfortunately we have to travel (not in trailer). Next week is the go time.

While this is being done, DH is having the wheels balanced (Tires and bearings are in great shape). Plus, we will finally have working brakes.

If possible, we'll post some photos of what modifications we do.

(I've also been monitoring that thread from Denabear, who still has not been able to resolve her axle problem -- thank you for posting the link.)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Civil guy, I think that reconfiguring mounting plates is what we are doing (or something similar). DH drew a plan for welder, who agreed this was the way to proceed.

If possible, we'll post some photos of what modifications we do.
Please do post photos. I have been pondering adding lift, moving the spare tire from the rear to under the trailer, adding some sort of bumper storage, and lowering the coupler. So, I am all about frame modifications these days!

And please, call me Mike. Civil is just what I try to be.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:25 AM   #23

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I bet we could not get specs for our Silver Cloud either. It developed a water leak under the bathtub at Eggs a la Bourbon last week. Hubby has a plan though, for a work-around.

The paperwork that came with these campers is really generic.

CindyL
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #24

California
No specs but I just took my lil Bigfoot of the frame today so if U need anything shoot.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #25

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykiter View Post
No specs but I just took my lil Bigfoot of the frame today so if U need anything shoot.
I hope you'll take photos of the entire process!! Can you describe what was involved to do this? What all did you have to take apart to get it off the frame (and why did you decide to do it)?

Is your axle original, and is it leading arm or trailing arm?
Old 06-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #26

California
Quote:
I hope you'll take photos of the entire process!! Can you describe what was involved to do this? What all did you have to take apart to get it off the frame (and why did you decide to do it)?

Is your axle original, and is it leading arm or trailing arm?
I am redoing completely my whole trailer and I decided to powder coat frame as well since next time it will be redone will most likely be in 25 years. Taking shell off was straight forward. 4 large bolts that attach back of the trailer to frame ( u will have to undo nuts from under the trailer, 2 more on front and 6 more that you access from the inside of the trailer on front under bunk bed couch that where small treaded bolts with #2 square head. My floor is out so U could put a wrench on big 6 bolts since they spin out when I tried to undo nuts under the trailer. Than I jacked whole shell up till i could rollout frame with axel and wheels. ME and my friend actually where able to pick up whole shell with interior completely gutted and windows and door removed. Shell is probably about 180lb.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #27

California
Quote:
I am redoing completely my whole trailer and I decided to powder coat frame as well since next time it will be redone will most likely be in 25 years. Taking shell off was straight forward. 4 large bolts that attach back of the trailer to frame ( u will have to undo nuts from under the trailer, 2 more on front and 6 more that you access from the inside of the trailer on front under bunk bed couch that where small treaded bolts with #2 square head. My floor is out so U could put a wrench on big 6 bolts since they spin out when I tried to undo nuts under the trailer. Than I jacked whole shell up till i could rollout frame with axel and wheels. ME and my friend actually where able to pick up whole shell with interior completely gutted and windows and door removed. Shell is probably about 180lb.
DO U know how to post pics here?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #28

California
Registry
Quote:
DO U know how to post pics here?
If you look down under your "reply" window, you'll find "additional options." There you can choose to make attachments, and upload those from your computer. If you can reduce the size of your photos, that's helpful.

You can also go to your "profile" area (just click on your own name in the upper right-hand corner, or click the "CP" for "control panel" and look for "albums." I've created several albums for different topics. After you upload photos there, you can view the photo, and BELOW the photo is a link you can copy to post on the forums.

There are also some help files and threads here about photos which might have different or better info... I kind of stumbled my way through this on my own.

Oh, and also, people often use outside sites like Flicker or Photobucket to upload photos and then link to them.

So, you did not have to remove any cabinetry or flooring to get to the bolts? We're getting our axle replaced TOMORROW, and if there's a way to check these bolts (while the guy is under there) without having to demo inside, I'd like to do it!

Tags
bigfoot