Brake controller for lightweight trailer (boler, scamp 13ft) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
Brake controller for lightweight trailer (boler, scamp 13ft)

HI

I've been researching brake controllers and the conventional wisdom has been for getting a time-based controller for lightweight trailers, for cost savings.

Now, the "literature" has also admitted that proportional controllers are better, even for lightweight trailers, and from my search, are maybe $50 - $100 more expensive. (For safety, I"ll gladly fork out a little more for a better controller, without overdoing it).

So, I"m struggling to decide and thought I'd ask the group what type of controller they use, and their experience with it.

For example, with a Boler or Scamp, is a time-based controller really that much heavier on TV's brakes?
Or, is a proportional controller such as Tekonsha prodigy P2 or P3 (both around $160 CAD) too much controller? Someone had a line in a review that the P3 was not suitable for lighter trailers. Couldn't find anything to back tha t up though.
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've had my Tekonsha prodigy for 12 years and it's worked great. I don't thing I would trust a timed controller, but maybe they work ok. Tekonsha I believe has a life time warranty, worth the extra money in my humble opinion.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Get the P2. period. (unless you want the P3, or even the Primus ) All are Proportional.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #4

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Tekonsha

Get the P2.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
The P2.....is there any other ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
P2 vs P3

There is, according to their website, no difference on the internals between the P2 and P3. The P3, for an extra dollar online, has a more user friendly display and 5 memory settings for trailer setups.

I just bought the P3. Thanks all.
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I've used a Tekonsha Voyager, which is a simple proportional control, its been perfectly adequate. Timed controllers are kinda old school, and pretty much obsolete.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use a Prodigy RF controller. Because we have a varity of of tow rigs we can use and that way I don't need a controller for each rig. It doesn't know what rig is towing and it doesn't know what trailer it is attached to. It just works and does its job properly. The P2 is the way to go.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can get the Tekonsha Primus IQ on amazon.ca or Costco.ca for about $90. Proportional and vastly superior to the Voyager. I have one and love it (and I hated the Voyager).
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #10

Name: Joe
Trailer: DRV and Scamp
Colorado
I think I have a Tekonsha Voyager at home that not in use. I will be back Tuesday morning.

If you are interested or have questions, let me know.
jlcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Name: Cathi
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Nova Scotia
I have a prodigy P2. Use if for a 13' Scamp, towing with a 2008 ford escape 3.0 liter V6. Love the prodigy, and the Scamp.

UHaul is the best place for hitches and brake controllers in this neck of the woods: Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. Best prices.

Safe and easy travels to you...brakes on a trailer are a truly wondrous thing...very enjoyable sense of safety.
Tillie and Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcasey View Post
I think I have a Tekonsha Voyager at home that not in use. I will be back Tuesday morning.

If you are interested or have questions, let me know.
The Voyager was a good controller in its day. I still have one taking up space in a drawer, it will go in my estate sale in a box full of other quaint and antique stuff for a dollar.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan krombein View Post
There is, according to their website, no difference on the internals between the P2 and P3. The P3, for an extra dollar online, has a more user friendly display and 5 memory settings for trailer setups.

I just bought the P3. Thanks all.
Good choice.

Now, don't mind us, we'll keep posting for days.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Voyager was a good controller in its day. I still have one taking up space in a drawer, it will go in my estate sale in a box full of other quaint and antique stuff for a dollar.
After going to estate sales where an item with a purple sticker is fifty cents and a yellow sticker item is a dollar, that's how I see the future of a lot of my stuff anymore; each adorned with a little colored stick-on dot, just awaiting that reflective and forward-looking buyer...

It's clearly all perfectly good stuff, mind you. Otherwise, I wouldn't have kept it around here in pristine NOS condition for the last few decades...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, light, scamp, weight