Brake Controller for Xmas??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #15

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Dave and Sergey,

Got it. It definitely consists of a heavier gauge wire indicating something other than trailer lights (per the Owner's Manual). It was well installed by a PO.

Got to install wiper blades on my daughter's Pilot and my Fit. I will also take some time to look again for the brake controller service connector under the dash of the Borrego.

Thanks,

Dean

Old 12-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I think a brake controller sounds like a much better gift than a vacuum cleaner!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

Kentucky
Registry
Donna D,

AGREED! A brake controller will be coming my way, but it might not quite make Xmas morning.

That reminds me of my DW, Laura. I love to to cook both outside and inside, so kitchen stuff is ALWAYS a good gift for me to receive. On the other hand, I would never buy Laura kitchen stuff as a gift. She loves to read, so I can ALWAYS buy her a book. Me, I get excited over measuring spoons and brake controllers!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #18

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Progress today on finding the service connector inside the Borrego in terms of connecting a brake controller. I had looked two other times and could not find it. I did some research last night and found out where it should be. So, I looked again this afternoon. Could not find it. Decided to remove the plastic panel just to the left of the foot push parking brake. Had to remove the latch for the hood release. Had to remove the weather stripping. Had to push, pull, and wiggle it out. Finally, got it out. Guess what was hidden BEHIND the panel. Yup, the service connector for the brake controller. Of course that was not the end of it. It has a security system that was added as an accessory at some point (I just bought this '09 Borrego last weekend). When they wired it, they put a wire behind the hood release cable, so I had to disconnect the cable in order to allow the wire to move with the pigtail service connector so there would be enough slack to push it over top of the plastic panel. Whew. It worked. Then had to reassemble everything. I now have a service connector to plug the brake controller.

Here is a picture of the pigtail that I can now access.

Santa, may I have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller for Xmas? I promise that I did not cuss too much while doing the above!!!

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
For about 15 years I have towed with time-delay brake controllers. This summer I finally purchased a P3 (even though the old controller still worked ok). I have no regrets. It was worth every penny to get the smoother braking action.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Santa, may I have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller for Xmas? I promise that I did not cuss too much while doing the above!!!

Dean
You worked so hard on this, you certainly deserve it; no matter the language.
Santa

I appreciate what you went through. I had a horrible time finding my brake controller connector on the Tacoma. Totally frustrated I went back to the dealer (a good long road trip away) and asked for help. Their mechanic, a nice man well experienced with automotive idiosyncrasies, had the connector out in a second. It was tucked behind all those wire bundles, in the same general area. A real pain to reach.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #21

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Had no trouble finding the 'connector' in my '08 Tacoma for the P3 controller but, the plug'n play connector for the Tacoma required a 'ground' connection in addition to the 'plug'. I was gonna use a ground connection inside the cab but past experience has taught me that the closer you can get a ground/neutral to the battery ground connection, the better off you are. So, I ran a 12ga wire (white) through the firewall to the same 'lug' where the battery 'ground' is connected to the body/chassis... Dunno whether or not your Borrego requires a 'ground' wire or not but if so I'd recommend similar.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1641 - Copy.JPG  
Old 12-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #22

Kentucky
Registry
Paul (Santa),

THANKS! To be honest, I have been a pretty good boy this year! Yup, it is amazing how much wiring there is in newer vehicles. A bit different than my old '67 Chevy Pickup.

Harvey,

Thanks for the heads up. I am anticipating that "Plug-n-Play" is more of a theoretical term than a reality. We shall see! I am anticipating that Santa will deliver a brake controller in the next 4 to 9 days via Amazon!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #23

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm about to purchase the P3 myself. I really like how the controls are all in the front and push button instead of dial. Saw it for $127.99 with free ship at amazon today. I have an old Tekonsha voyageur that's a pita to use. Light color changing thingie goes from yellow to amber to dark red for brake force, blah blah in short it's annoying. The P3 looks better for a short timer like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #24

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Wendy Lee,

Yup. That is a good price for P3. I have seen them for 139.99 that includes the Plug n Plug harness specific to your tug. If you don't need that and the universal one that comes with the controller is fine, then 127.99 is the best price that I have seen.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #25

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Just as a heads up...I've just realized that Amazon (or their sellers) toy around with their prices at will. On the day I posted the $127.99 price above, that was indeed the price. Two days before Christmas, the same unit was up in the $141.00 range. Going to look again after Christmas to see if the seller(s) are now depressed and saddened with their holiday sales and hope to hock off a few P3's at the cheaper price I originally saw. Ha Ha!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
I picked a P3 up for $117 (including a Toyota specific cable) at Jet.com using their first time order 20% off discount. Strangely they sell it with the brand specific cable (and the regular generic cable) for less than without. If you search around they show them available with several different brand specific cables included. ANDROID20 is the first time coupon code that worked for me - not sure how long they will be offering that.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Just as a heads up...I've just realized that Amazon (or their sellers) toy around with their prices at will. ..
Many retailers are doing daily or even hourly price changes based on market research. I tend to put things on my wish list at Amazon and then wait, I often end up seeing the price lower in a few weeks or months.

Although I have not used it, there is this Amazon price tacking website (among many others) that are supposed to give you a price history and / or forecast so you can get the best price. And shopping beyond Amazon will also result in lower prices sometimes. I buy a lot at Amazon but I am not married to them and always look for better prices elsewhere.

Lastly, I am convinced that Amazon sometimes sells open box or returned items as new. I even got a SSD hard drive one time from Amazon with the seal on the outer and inner packaging broken. Returns are easy and at their expense but it does delay things.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #28

Kentucky
Registry
Hi CampyTime, Eric, and Gordon2,

Yup, I have noticed that Amazon prices fluctuate, but for that matter so do the prices of gas and bread!

I cross shop, but will buy from Amazon most of the time. The older I get, the less I like to Xmas shop. For the last several years, I will do Xmas shopping via Amazon often in one evening. Two to seven days later all items are delivered! My DW will then round out by doing the boots on the ground shopping. I get good prices and don't have to deal with the crowds, free shipping, and a great return policy. I, too, am not wedded to Amazon, but it often works for me! If I need an item right away that needs no research, then I buy local. If I have time and an item that requires surfing the net, I order via Amazon at the end of my research session. Bam, done!

In terms of the the brake controller, Eric, your $117 with the Toyota specific cable for the Prodigy P3 was outstanding from Jet.com. Those coupon codes and/or first-time buyer discounts can be used strategically to help out!!!

Take care,

Dean