Brake Controller for Xmas??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Brake Controller for Xmas???

Hi All,

Now that we have our '05 Casita 17' FD Trailer and the '09 Kia Borrego Limited Tug, I would assume the final piece to connect the tug to the rig would be a brake controller. We already have a WDH and anti-sway bar that came with the Casita.

I have spent some time this evening reading about brake controllers, including some threads that discuss brake controllers on this forum. It appears to me that the Tekonsha Prodigy 2 or 3 brake controllers are hard to beat.

Heck, it even looks like there is possibilty that an absent-minded professor like me could actually install it!

Any thoughts before asking Santa for a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller?

Thanks,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Go with the P2, it does all you need. The 3 has a few more bells but aren't really needed. If you read up on the difference, and I know you will , you'll see what I mean.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree the P2 is an easy install and works great

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Trail Michigante
We love our P2! Brakes on your FGRV will make a huge difference, especially if you do any mountainous travel, never mind the added safety factor and control during panic stops.
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I went with the P3 for the extra money since it would give a little more information easier than the P2.
The P3 gives actual words in the display where the P2 uses code numbers.
The buttons are in the front and not on the sides as the P2.
The P3 shows the current to the brakes (I don't know about the P2)
They both do the same thing with the same sensor so functionally they are the same.
The only difference is what it tells the operator.
$20.00 or so difference so you pays your money and takes your choice.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thanks for the confirmation that a Tekonsha product is the way to go with a few options to choose from within their line. Dave definitely has me figured out!!! I will research it and place my order. I promise to Just Do It and not take too long. Brake controllers aren't quite as intriguing as trailers and tugs!

Thanks,

Dean
Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the confirmation that a Tekonsha product is the way to go with a few options to choose from within their line. Dave definitely has me figured out!!! I will research it and place my order. I promise to Just Do It and not take too long. Brake controllers aren't quite as intriguing as trailers and tugs! Dean
Dean, pull up Etrailer for videos on installations, they probably have one with your tug. You might even get lucky and have a plug and play install. My Ranger didn't so I had to run/install the whole shebang, think it took about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We purchased a P2 just before we bought our Casita. I installed it in a hotel parking lot the night before we picked up the trailer. Took about an hour or so. Really very simple to install. Only problem I had was when hotel security came around asking what I was doing laying on the floor under the dash. Had to explain I was not hot wiring the truck....just installing a brake controller. We all had a laugh about that.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #9

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Oh, we do like the P2. I don't think we would ever need a P3 unless we bought a double axle trailer...which I don't think will happen.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #10

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

OK, I am up with getting the Tekonsha Brake Controller. I have even figured out that it is easy enough to install myself. In fact, I can order a brake controller that comes with a wiring harness for my Borrego, so I can Plug n Play. My only issue is that I can't find the receiver plug under the driver side dash for where to plug in the brake controller. I am going to inquire on the Borrego Forum to see what I am missing!

In any case, it looks like the installation will be easy enough once I figure out where to plug the controller!

Thanks,

Dean

P.S. - In addition to my 7 pin round plug on the rear of my Borrego, there is also the following plug. I assume this is for plugging in lights for a trailer without brakes??? Thoughts??? Here is the picture. . .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

California
Dean, that looks like one end of a battery disconnect. I bought that same disconnect system from Little House Customs to make it easy to remove the SD's battery. No idea why that would be on the rear of your tug.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #12

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Dave and All,

Interesting. Hey, looked in the Owner's Manual! It gave me the general location for the brake controller service connector. I will look again tomorrow.

Regarding the extra service connector at the rear of the Borrego, I traced it from the rear to the front. It ties into the battery.

On the other hand, my Owner's Manual mentions that the Borrego has a "trailer light connector" at the rear that is separate from the 7 pin connector.

Here is a picture from the Owner's Manual. . .

Thanks,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 01:18 AM   #13

California
Even though your manual states a factory wiring harness.....that's not it. That one has been added by a PO for some other purpose that needed some heavy gauge wire. Think you got a PM on its possible use. If it was me, remove it all or zip tie it some where out of the way. It has nothing to do with your P2 install.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #14

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I believe the PO added heavy gauge wire to power hitch mounted arm chair lift.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #15

Kentucky
Registry
Dave and Sergey,

Got it. It definitely consists of a heavier gauge wire indicating something other than trailer lights (per the Owner's Manual). It was well installed by a PO.

Got to install wiper blades on my daughter's Pilot and my Fit. I will also take some time to look again for the brake controller service connector under the dash of the Borrego.

Thanks,

Dean
Old 12-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think a brake controller sounds like a much better gift than a vacuum cleaner!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

Kentucky
Registry
Donna D,

AGREED! A brake controller will be coming my way, but it might not quite make Xmas morning.

That reminds me of my DW, Laura. I love to to cook both outside and inside, so kitchen stuff is ALWAYS a good gift for me to receive. On the other hand, I would never buy Laura kitchen stuff as a gift. She loves to read, so I can ALWAYS buy her a book. Me, I get excited over measuring spoons and brake controllers!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #18

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Progress today on finding the service connector inside the Borrego in terms of connecting a brake controller. I had looked two other times and could not find it. I did some research last night and found out where it should be. So, I looked again this afternoon. Could not find it. Decided to remove the plastic panel just to the left of the foot push parking brake. Had to remove the latch for the hood release. Had to remove the weather stripping. Had to push, pull, and wiggle it out. Finally, got it out. Guess what was hidden BEHIND the panel. Yup, the service connector for the brake controller. Of course that was not the end of it. It has a security system that was added as an accessory at some point (I just bought this '09 Borrego last weekend). When they wired it, they put a wire behind the hood release cable, so I had to disconnect the cable in order to allow the wire to move with the pigtail service connector so there would be enough slack to push it over top of the plastic panel. Whew. It worked. Then had to reassemble everything. I now have a service connector to plug the brake controller.

Here is a picture of the pigtail that I can now access.

Santa, may I have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller for Xmas? I promise that I did not cuss too much while doing the above!!!

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
For about 15 years I have towed with time-delay brake controllers. This summer I finally purchased a P3 (even though the old controller still worked ok). I have no regrets. It was worth every penny to get the smoother braking action.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Santa, may I have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller for Xmas? I promise that I did not cuss too much while doing the above!!!

Dean
You worked so hard on this, you certainly deserve it; no matter the language.
Santa

I appreciate what you went through. I had a horrible time finding my brake controller connector on the Tacoma. Totally frustrated I went back to the dealer (a good long road trip away) and asked for help. Their mechanic, a nice man well experienced with automotive idiosyncrasies, had the connector out in a second. It was tucked behind all those wire bundles, in the same general area. A real pain to reach.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote