Brake controller install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Does anyone out there have a 99 to 03 pathfinder that they have a brake controller installed with or know someone who does? Having a hard time getting at the brake switch wiring and was wondering how someone else might have done it. If not does anyone in the Calgary area know of a place that would just get me that wire tapped into and won't charge me for a full install, then I could do the rest

Thanks
Kent
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Cool

Hi,

I tow with mine,

Try http://www.nissanforums.com/

I searched under brake controler and alot came up there...its free.

Mine needed the Nissan provided controller...If other brands are used a relay must be often added...Also a plug connector adapter was needed for mine. It is provided in some Reese and Brinkman kits, People who do it themselves cannot power up the controler without the connector, it often makes the unit act dead..."brake computer does this"
shout out on the forum there too...I would go to Nissan and talk to them as I did.

Hope it helps.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Kent,

I just did an install on my 2002 GMC Sonoma. I basically went to a GMC site and ,although I did not find information specific to my model of truck, I did find some wiring information and was able to make an informed guess as to which wire was which.

Here is a link to what my GM stoplight switch wiring looks like. There are two thicker wires and other thinner wires. The "cold" wire for mine is the thicker white wire. To test this wire I scraped off a bit of insulation and then probed the bare wire with a 12V test light. When I pressed on the brake pedal the light came on, indicating power. When I took pressure off the brake pedal the light went out. I had found the proper wire.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76boler/24624...57604792637096/
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote