Brake controller location. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't have much faith in those collections of rules, although I suppose they are a starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
... they are not required by law as Jason suggests on most of our trailers.
I don't know about "most" of us, but here in Alberta the Vehicle Equipment Regulation AR 122/2009 Part 3, section 56, subsection 2 does require a breakaway feature on any trailer requiring brakes (which generally means those over 907 kg / 2000 lb). Yes, this would apply to visitors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Unlike heavy duty commercial trailers which are subjects to everyday use, light RV trailers are often used a few weeks per year. The cons of break-away sw in RV is...it is activated by separate battery and this battery is always hooked up. With a whole year parking, the internal current could drain out the required voltage leading failure in case of emergency unless being checked before the trip (the cost of this battery is insignificant to the owning and using the RV) That is why the rule is applied with tolerance as...common sense. (How many time within 5 year period the break-away sw would be actually used in a RV trailer- safety chains is other safeguard). In my case, my F.G trailer weighs only 460kgs, less than 1,000lbs. So I am happy with the regulation...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'd be surprised if the typical break away draws any stand by current, mine appears to be a simple switch that closes when the pin is pulled allowing current to flow to the brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, which I found attractive as well; however, each of those tow vehicles must still have a 7-pin connector with power supplied to it for brake operation. That essentially kills the universal tug idea, although it would be somewhat easier to set up all of your tugs with this wiring than with the full brake controller wiring and mounting.
To me the Prodigy RF was also attractive in another way. My truck does not come pre-wired from the factory for a "plug and play" brake controller installation, and this feature is not included in the tow package provided by the dealer. I was not terribly interested in doing the brake controller wiring myself (even though it was described fairly well on the FJ forums). Given that the 2 quotes I got from reputable local hitch installers was around $500 each for the brake controller install, including the brake controller, it did not take me long to see the value in buying the Prodigy RF from an online supplier for about $300. No regrets so far.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #25

As Norm has suggested, a breakaway switch uses zero current until activated. It is just a mechanical switch.

By the way, 460 kg is slightly more than 1,000 pounds (1014 lb), but the difference is not important. The Boler or Trillium weighing under 1000 pounds seems to be generally regarded here as a marketing myth; is that a real weight, with all equipment and everything carried in the trailer?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
The cons of break-away sw in RV is...it is activated by separate battery and this battery is always hooked up...
It does need a battery on the trailer, separate from the tow vehicle's battery, but in travel trailers that can be (and normally is) the same battery as used for everything else on the trailer. Is this trailer planned to have a battery, other than one dedicated to the brakes?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #27

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My local RV dealer installed my brake controller (which I had taken out of a previous tow vehicle) for free. Definitely locate it so you don't do a number on your knee or shin when driving and using the brakes.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #28

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
My local RV dealer installed my brake controller (which I had taken out of a previous tow vehicle) for free. Definitely locate it so you don't do a number on your knee or shin when driving and using the brakes.
..To my understanding, any battery connected to a circuit will be subject to drainage if .." standby " a period of time. This phenomenom is caused by internal current. Commercial trailers have their own routine maintenence, so it won't be a problem. To private owner of such as..RVs, I doubt about it's function when parking too long without use. IMO, make sure to check it's voltage before the new year trip. A battery whose voltage dropped to a threshold( I don't know how much, 50%???) it will be replaced with the new one, recharging is...no cure. Just my thought...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #29

Ontario
...Even a battery stays by itself alone still has a minor internal current which will drain battery(drop it's voltage) if sitting too long without use/recharge. This is cause by INTERNAL RESISTANCE of battery itself. The phenomenom is insignificant but it exists and shows the effect versus time...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In the fall, when you are putting the trailer away, take the battery out of the break away controller and put it on a multi stage charger. Put it back in spring. Problem solved.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
..To my understanding, any battery connected to a circuit will be subject to drainage if .." standby " a period of time.
Only if the circuit is completed through something... not an open (off) switch.

Battery self-discharge is a separate issue, addressed above.