Brake Controller mounted in trailer???? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Actually I was referring to the original post.
No problem then. I wasn't sure.

It was pointed out to me in a separate email that the instructions for the Tekonsha say that it will still work even if it's not plugged into the tow. I missed that in my quick scan. It seems like they've already done what I was proposing. I'm a day late and a dollar short again

Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #16

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
No problem then. I wasn't sure.

It was pointed out to me in a separate email that the instructions for the Tekonsha say that it will still work even if it's not plugged into the tow. I missed that in my quick scan. It seems like they've already done what I was proposing. I'm a day late and a dollar short again
Yes, I think it remembers the sensitivity setting from when it was last plugged in to the vehicle. To change the sensitivity it must be plugged in breifly, and can then be used at the newer setting. That way if a user were to forget to plug it into the cig lighter he would still have brakes. Also you could unplug the controller, charge your cell phone or other use of the cig socket. Sensitivity usually is only changed for loaded vs unloaded towing or wet or icy roads anyway.
Russ

Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Yes, I think it remembers the sensitivity setting from when it was last plugged in to the vehicle. To change the sensitivity it must be plugged in breifly, and can then be used at the newer setting. That way if a user were to forget to plug it into the cig lighter he would still have brakes. Also you could unplug the controller, charge your cell phone or other use of the cig socket. Sensitivity usually is only changed for loaded vs unloaded towing or wet or icy roads anyway.
Russ
It does remember what its last setting was if signal to the controller is lost. But you also have NO manual override if the remote is not powered.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #18

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
It does remember what its last setting was if signal to the controller is lost. But you also have NO manual override if the remote is not powered.
Yes, that is true. The manual overide is nice to have for testing the system periodically. I like to know the brakes are doing their thing! It's good to feel the Scamp slow the 4500 pound Jeep down.
Russ
Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
knowing the weird stuff 12vt dc current tends to do....i would just go without the brakes. but only far enough to get a brake controler installed.
or....if i was shopping for a trailer with brakes,,,i would go ahead and install the controler knowing i was going to need to anyway. thus i would be prepared for finding a once in a lifetime deal on the perfect trailer.