Brake controller wiring for a 94 Ranger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've noticed there are a lot of Rangers being used as tow vehicles.

For those of you who have installed brake controllers, did you just tap into the existing wiring or did you use a plug to connect to the exisiting wiring harnesses? I see there are 2 wiring harnesses available from Tekshona the 3035 and the 3035-P both for Ford 94 - current model with the latter mentioning for clamshell.

Both mention for vehicles with a tow package. I have not looked for an empty connector for the brakes under my dash yet, but I do know some connectors do exist for options that were not installed. (BTW, I've got the Ranger wiring manuals, given time, I might find the right connector if one exists)

If you installed a controller how did you do it and what has your experience been?

I know manually there are 4 wires, one to each + and - at the battery (plus circuit breaker), one to the brake pedal switch and the last to the trailer connector. Tekshona has understandable instructions on how to install that way. I was wondering if using a harness is possible since it would make the job a little easier.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
I've noticed there are a lot of Rangers being used as tow vehicles.

For those of you who have installed brake controllers, did you just tap into the existing wiring or did you use a plug to connect to the exisiting wiring harnesses? I see there are 2 wiring harnesses available from Tekshona the 3035 and the 3035-P both for Ford 94 - current model with the latter mentioning for clamshell.

Both mention for vehicles with a tow package. I have not looked for an empty connector for the brakes under my dash yet, but I do know some connectors do exist for options that were not installed. (BTW, I've got the Ranger wiring manuals, given time, I might find the right connector if one exists)

If you installed a controller how did you do it and what has your experience been?

I know manually there are 4 wires, one to each + and - at the battery (plus circuit breaker), one to the brake pedal switch and the last to the trailer connector. Tekshona has understandable instructions on how to install that way. I was wondering if using a harness is possible since it would make the job a little easier.
I have a 98 Mazda B2500 which didn't have a tow package, so I installed a transmission cooler and a brake controller from CTC about 6 years ago. I just tapped into the wire near the brake light switch and ran new wires in a 3/8 split loom inside the kick panel ahead of the door and then through inside the fender to the battery. The only trouble I've had since was a corrosion problem at the Bargman plug at the hitch. I have since used dielectric grease in the back of the plug to prevent future corrosion. When it shorted due to corrosion it destroyed my 4 to 5 wire converter(I think about $30 at the time) and caused the right signal lamp indicator to stay on(at the dash). If you want a truck with factory brake controller it seems you you have to buy the bigger (thirstier) much more expensive variety. My truck has towed a variety(i've bought and sold several FG trailers) over six years and the truck now has over 210km on it. While you are at it you might install a solenoid switch to prevent draining the tow vehicle battery. Most RV dealers will likely have one. They have to be the type manufactured to stay on all the time. Most are designed for short duration use and will burn out quickly in this application. You will have to find a feed wire that is controlled by the ignition switch so the tow vehicle battery is disconnected when you turn the ignition switch off.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My 98 Ranger has factory tow package but no brake controller or trailer battery recharge wiring, basically just has relay to power the brake, turn and running lights and a Flat-4 connector in the rear.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Thank you Bill and Pete.

I ran all the wires from front to back already, installed an isolater and circuit breaker. Just have to connect the controller when I get it. The kick panel/fender route sounds promising, I'll keep that in mind for the install.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote