Brake Controllers on cars that might brake automatically - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
When I wired my Forester, Subaru provided a connector for trailer lights back under the cargo area cover. I bought a light converter from etrailer that plugged in to it and generated the 4 pin light connection. One of the wires (red I think) into the converter is the brake lights. I spliced in there for my brake controller input. It avoided messing around with the very hard to get to brake pedal switch. Raz
I'm curious... With this setup, do your Forester's tail lights illuminate when you use the manual lever on the brake controller?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I would do neither

As others have suggested if it a Tekonsha Prodigy controller Tekonsha should be able to provide the actual instructions for your Outback. Lots of vehicles these days have the same auto braking safety feature. When I had mine installed on my Outback the people who installed it got the instructions from Tekonsha for the hard wiring and they only called the Subaru dealer to get an idea on the best/easiest spot that Subaru recommended for putting the wiring through the firewall.

You might even find your answer on a Subaru discussion form.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
The brake light input on the brake controller is a high impedance input, that is it will not load what it is connected to. If it draws microamps I would be surpassed. As such you can connect it to any point where the brake light voltage is present and remains constant for the duration of the pedal activation. Anything that's pulsed could be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I'm curious... With this setup, do your Forester's tail lights illuminate when you use the manual lever on the brake controller?
Since the brake controller, when activated, supplies power only to the brake magnets on the trailer, activating the manual lever should not effect the lights. (Creative wiring excepted. ) Raz
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
As Raz indicated using the manual lever on the brake controller should never impact the brakes or lights on the car.... the whole reason for using the manual lever is to apply brakes to trailer only in order to help control a sway situation more effectively.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I like to consider the trailer brakes as my back up emergency brake system. My current 94 Ranger has had more brake failures than all of my other vehicles combined. I can safely say that I can add all of Carol Ann's vehicles into that mix. We regularily service our vehicles.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Since the brake controller, when activated, supplies power only to the brake magnets on the trailer, activating the manual lever should not effect the lights.
I do not believe that this is true for a typical controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As Raz indicated using the manual lever on the brake controller should never impact the brakes or lights on the car.... the whole reason for using the manual lever is to apply brakes to trailer only in order to help control a sway situation more effectively.
I agree that manual activation of the trailer brake controller should not affect the tow vehicle's brakes, but it can run the lights of both the trailer and tow vehicle. The controller can put out power on the brake light switch wire (which is normally used only as an input). For examples...

The manual for the Curt Discovery controller lists "Manual Control activates brake lights" as a feature, and in the Manual Control section:
Quote:
The Manual Control activates the tow vehicle and trailer stoplights.
Draw-Tite Activator 5100 manual:
Quote:
The manual control activates the tow vehicle and trailer stoplights and the output indicator on the control unit.
Hayes Energize operation manual:
Quote:
• The tow vehicle and trailer brake stoplights will be illuminated during the manual lever activation
Dexter Predator DX2 instruction sheet
Quote:
The tow vehicle and trailer brake stoplights will be illuminated during the manual lever activation.
The wiring of this controller calls for a 20 amp fuse on the red brake light wire; for a signal to the controller one amp would be lots, so the 20 A is to handle the power to run the tow vehicle and trailer lights.

In the Valley Journey HD installation instructions among the Features:
Quote:
Stop Lamp Activation - When applying the trailer brakes by utilizing the manual slider alone, the Journey HD will supply power to the trailer’s brake lights.
When installed in the usual manner, the controller's output on the brake light switch wire should be seen by the tow vehicle's stop lamp circuit exactly like the brake pedal being pressed, so both the tow vehicle and trailer brake lights should come on. When installed as Raz has done, the result will depend on the wiring in the tow vehicle for trailer lights: if they are simply tapped in, the controller will light up both vehicles; if there is an isolation circuit, the tow vehicle's lights may not operate but the trailer should.

I don't know if all trailer brake controllers include this feature, but a vehicle braking without stop lamps illuminated is generally bad, so I would expect the best practice to be to include this feature. Many of us use Tekonsha controllers, such as the Prodigy series, and I don't see any reference to running lights during manual activation in their installation manuals or FAQs; however, I also don't see a warning that lights will not be illuminated.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by boley View Post
Right now I suppose there are 2 viable options to combat cars that may automatically brake:

1) Use surge brakes.

2) Disable the auto-braking safety feature in the tow vehicle. [B] This is probably the route I will take until something more robust appears.

I presume that by "disable" you don't mean you're going to rip the autobraking system out since as I'm sure you already know, it can be "turned off" via a switch. Subaru's info page on this system also indicates that it may not work anyway when towing with the vehicle (regardless of brakes on towed unit), so turning it off when towing seems prudent to me. That way one wouldn't be depending on it.

Especially given Subaru's assertion re. "may not work when towing", I think this is a better option than surge brakes. In my opinion they're inferior in many ways to controller-actuated brakes. Also, surge-type brakes are in fact not even legal in some jurisdictions, depending on trailer size.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #22

Name: B
Trailer: 1982 Casita 13'
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I presume that by "disable" you don't mean you're going to rip the autobraking system out since as I'm sure you already know, it can be "turned off" via a switch.
Yep, using the on/off switches is the plan. This is a daily driver - towing is just an occasional job.

I have emailed both Subaru and Tekonsha to see if there are any specific considerations for this system. If I hear any thing back I will update.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
If what you say is true, I stand corrected. My prodigy doesn't work that way. Raz
This is something new to me...it never occurred to me that my trailer brake lights wouldn't illuminate when using the manual knob. Mine is a Tekonsha though not a Prodigy and I'm sure as heck going to check this out! And I'm even more surprised to hear that your Prodigy doesn't do so, since some do, or are supposed to.

At least according to E-trailer per the Prodigy P3, here quoting from this link

Quote:
If ever there is a time that you need to brake your trailer separately from your tow vehicle - when traveling down a steep incline, for example - the manual override lever is easily accessible. Pushing this lever engages the brakes on your trailer with full power. In addition, when you activate this override, the brake lights on your trailer will illuminate, properly warning those behind you of the braking action of your rig.
Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have the Prodigy and as I recall, in the instruction on set-up, they tell you to drive down a road at 40mph and manually apply the brakes to see if the wheels lock up. They warn that the trailer lights will not activate when you do this.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
On my Tekonsha Prodigy P2 when using the manual lever it does trigger the trailer breaks lights - cant say for sure on the tugs lights but will have to check it out one of these days. If one has a set up that the manual lever doesnt trigger the tug brake lights and only the trailer brake lights I would not be to concerned about it. Whether or not the tug lights come on or not might be a bit of mute point on the hopefully rare occasions you actually need to apply the manual lever. In most situations the party following you is looking at your trailer brake lights and not your tug brake lights - not to mention in most situations they cant even see your tugs lights. If no trailer lights came on then that would be a bigger concern to me.

B have you tried talking to your local Subaru service center. They may be able to answer your question faster. To be honest I dont think I would actually want to have the cars avoidance feature on when towing. Cant say one way or another but I might be worried it might result in a few more fast/sudden swings than wanted when towing.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Prodigy
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz
My prodigy doesn't work that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have the Prodigy and as I recall, in the instruction on set-up, they tell you to drive down a road at 40mph and manually apply the brakes to see if the wheels lock up. They warn that the trailer lights will not activate when you do this.
P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
On my Tekonsha Prodigy P2 when using the manual lever it does trigger the trailer breaks lights...
P3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
At least according to E-trailer per the Prodigy P3, here quoting from this link
Quote:
.. the manual override lever is easily accessible. Pushing this lever engages the brakes on your trailer with full power. In addition, when you activate this override, the brake lights on your trailer will illuminate ...
The warning that Glenn found does not occur in the corresponding section of the P3 manual. If Glenn and Raz have the original Prodigy, perhaps Tekonsha changed approach between generations... apparently between the original and the P2.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I just went out to the trailer and reviewed the instructions and I can find no warning that the brake lights won't work when manual is applied. I have no idea where I got that from.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #28
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
It occurred to me that there is a difference between my two vehicles. The Subaru I wired as described. The Frontier was factory wired for the brake controller. I deleted my original post to determine if it was wiring or controller. I confirmed by measurement on both vehicles that my prodigy does not light the brake lights when the manual lever is activated. Raz