Brake Controllers - Proportional or Time Delay?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've been perusing the threads and there seems to be a lot of brake lock up issues. Are there controllers that just work, or is this fiddling process endemic?? I am a newbie just collecting information, so let me know if my question makes you veterans laugh.
Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
I've been perusing the threads and there seems to be a lot of brake lock up issues. Are there controllers that just work, or is this fiddling process endemic?? I am a newbie just collecting information, so let me know if my question makes you veterans laugh.
Michael:

There has been a lot of discussion about brake controllers on the forum, for example http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...rake+controller

There is also quite a bit of information out there, for example http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/t...ontrollers1.htm

I believe that most people these days are installing proportional controllers -- they are reasonably priced and have performance advantages over time delay brake controllers.

I have just had a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller installed (a proportional controller) based on advice on this forum.

Brian
Old 11-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
+1 for the Tekonsha Prodigy, and I think its great.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I only have experience with one brake controller, the Tekonsha Prodigy. I found it easy to learn how to use, easy to set up, and I switch it back and forth between my Dodge Dakota and Subaru Outback by simply unplugging and replugging on the other vehicle (I wired both myself although the Dodge has a connector under the dash that was easy to connect to).
I have not had any brake lockup issues with the unit and am very pleased with it.

I was slightly intimidated before I bought it and worried that a brake controller would be a "complicated to use" accessory, but found that it's easy to adjust to your trailer, and once adjusted it's really set and forget, nothing special is needed to apply the brakes on the trailer; the harder you make your tow vehicle decelerate, the more power goes to the trailer brakes (that's why it's called proportional). It really helps to take advantage of the trailer brakes and reduce the load on the tow vehicle.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I also use Tekonsha - aP 3 - and found that my Jeep stops quicker with the trailer than without it. Imagine that!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Are there controllers that just work, or is this fiddling process endemic?
The fiddling process is only endemic to the [b]first set-up. After that, they just work.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Time delay controllers are not even close to the quality of the proportional units. I've use Tekonsha Voyager (not really proportional but close) Prodigy and P3 and they all work great.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks!

I am having a Prodigy installed tomorrow.
MD
Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Time delay controllers are not even close to the quality of the proportional units. I've use Tekonsha Voyager (not really proportional but close) Prodigy and P3 and they all work great.
You'll be happy with the Prodigy. I just traded up from that one to a P3. It worked great. Just in case something falls through on your deal here's where I got my last two. http://www.towshop.com/
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I also use Tekonsha - aP 3 - and found that my Jeep stops quicker with the trailer than without it. Imagine that!
Same thing happens with my P3 and Ranger. Amazing!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The fiddling process is only endemic to the [b]first set-up. After that, they just work.
I had the battery out of my tow vehicle during a recent visit to the repair shop. I had to re-set the prodigy after getting the car back. Just something to think about.