Just posting this in case anyone else might want to check the condition of their brake drums.
So we ordered a new axle
with the splined trailing arms, which are adjustable so we can set the height of the trailer. We did not order a brake assembly, as repair shop is providing those. The existing brake assembly is a "throw-away," but the brake drums appear to have been only slightly used, with light
rust on the wear surfaces. So the drums are salvageable (saving us about $100 or so on new drums).
But the rust should be cleaned off drums before installing new assembly to avoid fouling that. So, hubby undid the lug nuts and pulled the wheels. (I'm sure he enjoyed this because it gave him an opportunity to use his hydraulic jack... Always a fun time!).
Behind the wheel is the combination of the hub and the brake drum. Removing the nut on the end of the axle
stub releases the hub and brake drum. This can then be pulled off the axle
stub so the drums can be cleaned. (The brake assembly stays on).
To clean the rust off our drums, he used a circular wire brush attached to a drill. The stuff that came off was epic. But the drums are now good and clean.
Unfortunately, I thought about documenting this after he'd already finished, but I did get a photo of the "crap" that came out of ONE drum. He says this is just a bit of it. (Will post below)
By this time next week we'll have a new axle, new brake assembly, more height on our trailer and a wifey itching to hit the road! Wahoo!
Sent from my iPad
Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV