Brake mounting flange? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Name: Kirk
Trailer: 78 13' Scamp
Brake mounting flange?

Looking at adding brakes to the 13' scamp. TV is a 04 Outback. Is this the flange I'm reading about to mount brakes on the axle?

If so, 7" or 10"?

What are indications of needing a new axle all together? How low can she go?

Where's a good place to order brake kits? My pop is a pretty good wrench so we probably could handle the install job ourselves.

koehlerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Looks correct(flange)
Go with 10"
To check axle,see how much clearance you have in the wheel well 3" or less from top of tire to wheel well, axle should to be replaced.
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - 10" Brake Assemblies

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Here is an installation of 10 inch brakes on a 17 ft. Boler with a 3500 lb. drop axle. I also have the same 10 inch brakes installed on my 13 ft. Boler which also has a 3500 lb. torsion axle.All the components are identical size.(yours appears to be a torsion axle) Brake size may be determined by the size of your axle. If your axle has a lower rating you may require the smaller brakes. Installation should be the same.

YouTube - ‪Part 12 Installing Brakes on a 1979 Boler Trailer.wmv‬‏
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Kirk, FYI... I bought the 3500# Dexter axle for my Scamp from POTTER WEBSTER Good people to deal with!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If your going to add the brakes yourself to the old axel you could save some money.
I would check the price of a new axel with brakes vs. adding brakes to the old axel if you are going to have it done.
Don't go to an RV shop. Go to a trailer supply shop.
I have added both 7' and 10' to a Boler and several Scamps.
The best place I have found is NorthernTool .com. They have everything you need and are very easy to work with if you misorder.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Name: Kirk
Trailer: 78 13' Scamp
Thanks Kevin, for the confirmation. It looks like I have about 2.5 inches from top of tire to wheel well. =(

Thanks other Kevin for the link to the youtube. Is that your production? Well done!

Thanks Donna, for the Potter Webster suggestion. I'll be calling them up soon. Online shows an axle with brakes at 458.00.

Installation cost? Is it something I should even ask a welding buddy of mine to consider doing for me?

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

koehlerk is offline   Reply With Quote