Brake Parts for a 1980 17' Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Brake Parts for a 1980 17' Boler

My brake drum shattered on my Boler
As well the backing "plate" and internals where trashed.
Any ideas on how, what or where to get parts?
I'm a little unsure on what to order.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tim
First try to figure out who mfg. the axel. There may be a tag on the center axel tube. If not a square center tube is most likely a Dexter and a triangular tube is most likely an ALKO. Next you will need to measure drum diameter, shoe width and bolt pattern.(4X4 or 5X4.5) Also you need drum race seat mearurements and spindle bearing shaft measurements to order your drum. If you have 7" drums which was common in the 80's it will be harder to find the parts since the newer axels now use 10" drums.
After you get your info. go to the Dexter and ALKO website and see if you can match what you have. It helps if you have a picture of your brakes on the good side when you do your research. Just remember if you find a match you have RH and LH backer plates when ordering parts. It's usually cheaper to order a complete backer plate assy.
If you can't find a match post a picture with your info. and the members here may be able to help you find the correct parts.
Good Luck
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Tim, the least expensive way to replace your brakes is to replace the entire assembly.
I have replaced or added brakes to 4 or 5 eggs in the last 5 years ande have found the best and least expensice place to buy them is Northerntool.com. They will have what you need.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think Perry is spot on. The axle on your trailer (if original) is 31 years old....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our 1978 Boler 17' tailer has 10" 12v electric brakes
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Thanks for all the helpful input, it is most appreciated!
For a little bit more detail, there are no springs on the axel, so it is a torsion style.
I'll be checking out the owners manual for parts, I'm always on an extreme budget.
I have two sons with autism and at the time of this writing they are 8 and 10. The older boy can be a runner and is a night waker, so tent camping wasn't an option.
The 17' Boler was the smallest & lightest unit I could fined that had a shower space in it. Though it came from the factory "shower ready", the original water tanks where gone. . . so I got to do some creative plumbing.

There is a chance that we could be moving from Bellingham Washington to Chapel Hill North Carolina. RVing our way across the country over this summer. Are there concerns that the original axel is no longer safe for such a trek? If so, is there a better option for an upgrade replacement? Spring over torsion?

Thanks again for all the good info,

Tim
Tim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Petersen View Post
Are there concerns that the original axle is no longer safe for such a trek? If so, is there a better option for an upgrade replacement? Spring over torsion?
A torsion axle is your best choice for ride and handling characteristics. It provides a smoother ride than leaf springs and shock absorbers combined.

Leaf Spring suspension alone will be easier on your budget in the short run, but the harsher bouncing will be rough on the trailer components. My Fiber Stream has leaf springs, and I want to add shocks.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
I had to drill and add the shower drain and get a water heater for ours installing hot water tank under the sink. Ours had the indents in the shower floor for drain and water heater is listed on sticker inside the trailer. Retro fitting hot water; water and grey water tanks are under floor running across trailer, they would be better above the floor! Will have to insulate under trailer for winter camping. Ours has leaf spring suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Petersen View Post
Thanks for all the helpful input, it is most appreciated!
For a little bit more detail, there are no springs on the axel, so it is a torsion style.
I'll be checking out the owners manual for parts, I'm always on an extreme budget.
I have two sons with autism and at the time of this writing they are 8 and 10. The older boy can be a runner and is a night waker, so tent camping wasn't an option.
The 17' Boler was the smallest & lightest unit I could fined that had a shower space in it. Though it came from the factory "shower ready", the original water tanks where gone. . . so I got to do some creative plumbing.

There is a chance that we could be moving from Bellingham Washington to Chapel Hill North Carolina. RVing our way across the country over this summer. Are there concerns that the original axel is no longer safe for such a trek? If so, is there a better option for an upgrade replacement? Spring over torsion?

Thanks again for all the good info,

Tim

Tags
boler