Brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
We got our Lil Snoozy last fall and used it for several trips. The surge brakes have worked fine. I worried about this a lot before buying and read a lot about it on several threads on this forum. We finally decided to go with the surge ones. At that time there were lots of opinions on both sides of the issue. Perhaps a search of previous threads would show some of the information offered by others. My husband drives conservatively and carefully and always assumes the trailer is going to try to kill us! That is, of course, if one of the other crazy drivers out there don't do so first!
The ONLY way to tow our eggs is conservatively! I worry the same way, but truthfully, it's the idiots and morons on the highways you have to watch for, particularly as we're hauling trailers other people may find fascinating and lean in towards us. We must always be vigilant.

Hydraulic brakes are designed for boat trailers. Lil Snoozy uses them because they buy boat trailers for their chassis. They still work fine, and relieve the tow vehicle from having to have a 7 pin connector. Electric brakes are better for travel trailers, but given the weight of our eggs, I don't think it is really not a big deal. We almost went the Lil Snoozy way, and I trust the company to know what's best. I was VERY impressed with their response to our inquiries.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
We got our Lil Snoozy last fall and used it for several trips. The surge brakes have worked fine. I worried about this a lot before buying and read a lot about it on several threads on this forum. We finally decided to go with the surge ones. At that time there were lots of opinions on both sides of the issue. Perhaps a search of previous threads would show some of the information offered by others. My husband drives conservatively and carefully and always assumes the trailer is going to try to kill us! That is, of course, if one of the other crazy drivers out there don't do so first!

Have you towed one with electric brakes?
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would imagine surge brakes could invite disaster on icy roads in the mountains I travel............

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
But, if you were going ice fishing . . .
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #25

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Thanks to all who posted. We sent our deposit today. We opted for the electric brakes. Now I have a few weeks to get the controller wired up. I am looking at a Tekonsha Prodigy P-2. Any opinions on it?
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good move on the brakes and the P2 is great.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes