Brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #1

Name: Bev
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Smile Brakes

I am looking for a Boler 13 or Trillium and was wanting to know if I need to have brakes on the trailer? I have a 2009 Ford Escape 4WD. Ford didn't install the the extra wire for electric brakes in that year. Also if anyone has a nice Boler or Trillium in the Vancouver area that they are ready to pass on to a new owner.
Bev G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Trailer brakes are always a good thing
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Brakes

Check your owner's manual. It may specify that brakes are required over so many pounds. Agree that they're always a good idea. For one thing, activating the trailer brakes is the most effective response (and sometimes the only effective response) to control trailer sway.

A good hitch shop will know how to add the brake wire and controller.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You also better check "State" laws where ever you go. AND, the owner's manual of my '99 Nissan Frontier states (copied right out of my manual):

* When towing a trailer load of 1,000 lb (454 kg) or more, trailers with a brake system MUST be used.

Some will argue about "laws". But here's one thing to think about...even though your trailer "manual" may not state it's a requirement, what about your tow vehicle? My thinking is, it's like insurance. Say for whatEVER reason and God forbid this should happen... that I plowed into the rear of someone and my answer to the "cause" was "I couldnt stop". THEN, they sue. The lawyers will dig up everything to nail you. Simply looking at my manual would be enough for them to say, "Why werent you running trailer brakes?" We live in a sue-crazy world. Just something to keep in mind.

Personally, and in my opinion, I like the little "tug" I feel on my trailer when I apply my truck brakes. And I would run them whether or not they're required. Just a little added security more ways than one.

Finally... I had to run ALL the wires for my trailer. My truck was not prepped either for my 7-pin, let alone trailer brakes. But it was worth while. It was good experience too.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pretty well any hitch shop, even Uhaul will run the brake wire needed on your vehicle for you. You will also want to make sure you have a charge line as well for charging up the battery when towing and a seven pin connection added to the tug.

Your biggest problem will be finding a small Boler or Trillium with brakes already installed - unless you are looking at a newer Trillium such as an Outback.

Most of the axles originally put on older 13' Bolers did not have the plate on the axle for mounting brakes to. In order to add brakes you will need to put a new axle on the trailer - that is not a bad thing though as many of the older trailers are due for an axle change out anyways.

If you have to get a new axle with brakes put on the trailer & are located in the Lower Mainland many owners of old fiberglass trailers have found Escape trailers in Chilliwack to have the best price and fastest service. Bonus is they know fiberglass trailers well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I would never tow a trailer through the mountains without brakes and I tow with an F150. I went up to the Yukon this summer and on some of those hills , it was scary, always a 90 degree turn at the bottom. We had new brakes on the TV and brand new axle/brakes on the trailer plus a Prodigy P2 controller. Also don't forget a breakaway switch on the setup, mine didn't have one(install before the trip). Hate to see the trailer pass the truck.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

Name: Bev
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Brakes

Thank you everyone for the information.
Bev G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes