Brakes for 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1983 / Toyota 4Runner 2000
I have just purchased a 1983 16' Scamp in very good condition but it does not have brakes. i will be towing with a 2000 Toyota 4Runner. Should I add brakes to this Scamp? What is the best way to go about adding brakes?

David Wrench
davidwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi David

Are you sure there are no brakes installed on your Scamp 16? I would be very surprised if it does not have brakes.

It it does have brakes, pull the hubs and drums and check everything out. If you understand how drum brakes work on a car, you will be able to figure out the drum brakes on your trailer.

If it in fact does not have brakes, you will be able to add them - the only question is how much time and money will be spent. If the trailer's axle has flanges to mount brakes, it will be easy. If there are not flanges on the axle, the axle will need to be replaced with one that already has brakes installed.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1983 / Toyota 4Runner 2000
Quote:
Hi David

Are you sure there are no brakes installed on your Scamp 16? I would be very surprised if it does not have brakes.

It it does have brakes, pull the hubs and drums and check everything out. If you understand how drum brakes work on a car, you will be able to figure out the drum brakes on your trailer.

If it in fact does not have brakes, you will be able to add them - the only question is how much time and money will be spent. If the trailer's axle has flanges to mount brakes, it will be easy. If there are not flanges on the axle, the axle will need to be replaced with one that already has brakes installed.

-- Dan Meyer
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, there are no brakes. Not on the orignal sale invoice. Maybe replacing the axel with one with brakes might be a good idea for a 20 plus year old trailer.

Thanks for your web site link. It is handy to have that info.
David
davidwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
David,
If you don’t have flanges for mounting the break backing plate, the only option is, as Dan said, axle replacement. The flange is a square metal plate with four threaded holes that is welded to the axle inboard of the spindle.
Let's assume that your Scamp axle never had breaks installed at the factory but the flanges are there, you will have what Dexter calls an idler or plain hub with no drum. On Dexter axles, you can identify the required break size by looking for the hub number that is cast into the backside of the wheel-mounting flange. You should be able to read the number without taking the wheel off of the trailer. If you have hubs with the number 8-258 or 8-259, you can install 7.5" brakes. If the number is 8-248, the axle was designed for 10" brakes. I have no idea how far back that numbering system goes. If you don't find the number or find some other number, you will need to remove a hub to get the numbers off of the wheel bearings. A phone call to Dexter may help you sort it out. Dexter break parts and kits also fit several other brands but identification is more difficult. The wheel bearing numbers would provide a clue as to which break kits will fit the spindle on your axle.

We had a similar discussion about adding breaks to a 13’ Scamp back in January. You will find links to lots of helpful info here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...18310&hl=breaks
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, scamp