Brakes install stalled out! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #15

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Alright, we pulled it back apart and saw that the seal (yes, a new, rubber seal) had sat right over the holes in the spindle where the grease comes out, and no grease traveled along the spindle - it all went behind the seal. And yes, the grease is all over the brake pads, and the brake pads don't appear to be removable, so it looks like we are going to replace the whole unit. Live and learn. Hubby did his forensic examination as he took it apart, and now with our further understanding of how it works he sees why some folks on here recommended a different type of seal that has a metal cap or ring - because that will space the seal farther back and allow the grease to come out and go outwards. Right? He is going to take the cleaned up parts to the auto parts store tomorrow and try to find these other seals. And for your entertainment, I am posting a very embarrassing pic of the brake drum full of grease. Please be kind. We are quite beside ourselves that we put that much grease into this before we wondered why it wasn't coming out!!!
Attached Thumbnails
101_0787.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #16

New Hampshire
Not even a single sympathetic mumble?

I'm guessing no one was on here at 2 am to see my last pathetic posting? I was pretty sure I'd get at least a couple of ROFLs....

Old 05-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
I'm guessing no one was on here at 2 am to see my last pathetic posting? I was pretty sure I'd get at least a couple of ROFLs....
I hope you can figure out what's going on and get it repaired easily and get out and camp!

Best of luck to you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #18

New Hampshire
Thanks Frank! That's exactly what we needed, a reminder of why we are doing this in the first place.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #19

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I would imagine no one is ROFL because we are all too busy remembering when we have done similar seemingly stupid but easy to do things.

Good luck with the redo and remember part of the reason we try these things on our own is so we can learn.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Trailer shop I go to said blowing grease into the hubs is very common, had the stack of grease covered parts in a scrap barrel to prove his point.

I seem to recall he also recommended rotating the hub a bit as the grease was put in to distribute it around the bearing. Not sure if that is the same axle as you have but it makes sense.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #21

New Hampshire
That is great advice Badger. Thanks. I can't wait to try this again! :O
Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #22

New Hampshire
Grease seals

Closeup of the two sizes of seals that came with my 7" brake kit: They send two sizes of seals and bearings with the kit because some spindles are 1" and some are 1-1/16". But these don't look like the same type of seal to me, I'm thinking only the one on the left is a double ring seal and the one on the right is not a double ring... ? The outer ring on the one on the left is clearly taller than the inner ring, which would give the grease a place to come out of the EZ Lube hole in the spindle. The one on the right is the one we used because it's the 1-1/16", and we had the problem of the grease going behind the seal. Now I think we know why.
I have ordered the metal seals for our next attempt, just thought this was interesting. Live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails
100_4281.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #23

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Closeup of the two sizes of seals that came with my 7" brake kit: They send two sizes of seals and bearings with the kit because some spindles are 1" and some are 1-1/16". But these don't look like the same type of seal to me, I'm thinking only the one on the left is a double ring seal and the one on the right is not a double ring... ? The outer ring on the one on the left is clearly taller than the inner ring, which would give the grease a place to come out of the EZ Lube hole in the spindle. The one on the right is the one we used because it's the 1-1/16", and we had the problem of the grease going behind the seal. Now I think we know why.
I have ordered the metal seals for our next attempt, just thought this was interesting. Live and learn.
You're right about double vs single, but the seal needs to match the depth of the hub such that it leaves the inner bearing a bit of room.

I wish you lived around the corner, I'd come over and lend a hand.

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
If-it-was-me (as my Grandfather would say) I would just clean up the pads, install new (better) seals and keep going. IMHO there is a lot of difference between getting fresh grease on a new pad surface and grease leaking all over the pads over a long period of time, the pads getting really hot, and the grease deeply saturating the pads. In the first case you made a mess, in the second you ruined stuff. There is a lot of phobia around about trailer brakes. Yes they should work and work well. But, in the real world they mostly just need to keep the trailer from running you over.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sorry, I can't agree with your advice, especially to a novice mechanic.

Even making the suggestion to just wipe it off (especially in this case after soaking in for at least a day or two) gives all kinds of free license to other wannabe mechanics to make their own decisions as to what to do when something spills on a brake shoe (or Pad) Maybe next time it's oil or brake fluid.

Brakes are a critical safety device and those decision should only be made by the most skilled & experienced mechanic, most of which I know would just toss the contaminated parts because they won't risk a customer or their reputation on that practice.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Both of those seals in the picture are double lip seals.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #27

New Hampshire
We ordered a new brake backing plate. We started to clean the grease out of the one we filled with grease using Brakleen and kitty litter, and decided it was not worth the time and effort. It really needs to be disassembled to get at all the grease that is in the springs and between the pieces etc. and a new one was only $32 including shipping. I'm really just trying to become more informed about the seals at this time so that we can save ourselves from making a mistake again. Not that we would keep pumping a whole tube of grease into it again!!!! Learned that one.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Trailer shop I go to said blowing grease into the hubs is very common, had the stack of grease covered parts in a scrap barrel to prove his point.

I seem to recall he also recommended rotating the hub a bit as the grease was put in to distribute it around the bearing. Not sure if that is the same axle as you have but it makes sense.
The instruction manual that came with my new Deter axle specifically says rotate the hub as you as lubricating it. Dexter recommends use a new seal whenever the hub is removed from the axle.

Tags
brakes