Brakes install stalled out! - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Unhappy Brakes install stalled out!

Well... we were doing ok installing the first brake and hub assembly on our Scamp 13 (it did not have brakes, we are adding 7" electric brakes to it) until were adding the additional grease via the zerk fitting on the spindle. When we realized that we had added an entire tube of grease, we realized that we probably have a problem. Hubby has given up for the night, and he is dreading what he will find when he removes the hub.... a brake drum full of grease? Any thoughts anyone? Is it possible that you do need to add a full tube of grease to the EZ lube spindle? No, we thought not....

Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
It sounds like the inner grease seal was pumped out from to much grease. You might clean things up and reinstall the seal. Bearings should have enough grease.
Chuck

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
If you did fill the brake drum make sure you use a brake cleaner before putting them back on.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Euwww... If there is grease on the shoes don't even bother to clean them, new ones are the safest answer to lubricated brake shoes, but at least they won't squeak.

But do let us know that actually happened. Just yesterday someone told use that it couldn't happen, so you may be OK....
Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #5

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
On the Easy Lube spindles, make sure you are using a good double lip seal.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The typical brake kit comes with a useless rubber coated seal. go to a real parts store or a marine supply and get the correct seals.
I recently had the same experience... The seal lip did not fail in my case.
The entire seal simply fell out. not only was it not precise, it wasn't metal to metal in the hub leading to an imprecise fit without a proper friction fit.
I cleaned up the mess and reinstalled an old seal. This will have to do until I find a flanged double lipped seal from a reputable manufacturer.
The flange is not absolutely necessary, it is simply a far superior design which virtually eliminates the likelihood of installation error.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The flange isn't necessary. Just cover the seal with a clean piece of 2x4 and wang away this everything is level.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Euwww... If there is grease on the shoes don't even bother to clean them, new ones are the safest answer to lubricated brake shoes, but at least they won't squeak.

But do let us know that actually happened. Just yesterday someone told use that it couldn't happen, so you may be OK....
If the following is that to which you refer, then you have sorely misstated the facts as to what was said....

"E-Z lube axles are designed to be used just as you say not to.
Used properly, an EZ-Lube hub can not be over filled, in fact it is designed to push the old grease out into the chamber where the zerk is located."

A faulty seal or an improper application is not a fair indictment of a good design...Full is full. A port is provided to vent any excess grease.
Of course care must be taken when using a hand grease gun which can produce thousands of PSI. The same admonition applies to impact wrenches, air compressors, and just about any other tool.

Almost anyone who has ever attempted to change just the shoes on a 7" brake, would opt to clean them.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #9

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
The flange isn't necessary. Just cover the seal with a clean piece of 2x4 and wang away this everything is level.
As I said...
"The flange is not absolutely necessary, it is simply a far superior design which virtually eliminates the likelihood of installation error."

Or splinters!!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #10

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
ok, thanks, yep, the kit came with rubber seals.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't have any statistics for "Almost Anyone" when it comes to who cleans grease contaminated brake shoes, but for the nominal cost of new shoes or pads I, among many others mentioned on line, would replace them....period.

When "Joe the Home Mechanic" is doing brake work, he is not just risking his own families health and safety, but also that of all of us on the road with him. Now, if a person were an experienced and qualified brake mechanic, that answer might be different.

In looking on different sites it sounds that overfilling bearing buddy hubs is a lot easier than one would think. But if everyone was an expert mechanic this really shouldn't be a problem... right?

Murphy's Law #4 applies, "If something can be used improperly, it will be used improperly", hence my earlier warning and concerns.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #12

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Clarification

[ Quote Bob Miller>

"In looking on different sites it sounds that overfilling bearing buddy hubs is a lot easier than one would think. But if everyone was an expert mechanic this really shouldn't be a problem... right?"

I was led to believe that "Bearing Buddies " and "EZ Lube" were two totally different animals . Floyd's description of the EZ Lube system matches what I saw reading the literature from Dexter . I was never a fan of Bearing Buddies so I am hoping there not the same !!!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

I was led to believe that "Bearing Buddies " and "EZ Lube" were two totally different animals....
They aren't the same. About the only thing they have in common is the zerk.

Bearing Buddies should never be used on a spindle that has brakes.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Boy, I wish I lived close enough to come over and help. First of all, on these kind of spindles, you always need a new seal everytime you take the hub/drum off. When you install new seals, they must be installed correctly so that they match up with the hub and bearings inside. I use over half a full tube of red grease when I repack both my EZ Lube bearings, but they're 10" brakes if that makes any difference.

Best of luck to you!

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes