Brakes install stalled out! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Unhappy Brakes install stalled out!

Well... we were doing ok installing the first brake and hub assembly on our Scamp 13 (it did not have brakes, we are adding 7" electric brakes to it) until were adding the additional grease via the zerk fitting on the spindle. When we realized that we had added an entire tube of grease, we realized that we probably have a problem. Hubby has given up for the night, and he is dreading what he will find when he removes the hub.... a brake drum full of grease? Any thoughts anyone? Is it possible that you do need to add a full tube of grease to the EZ lube spindle? No, we thought not....
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
It sounds like the inner grease seal was pumped out from to much grease. You might clean things up and reinstall the seal. Bearings should have enough grease.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
If you did fill the brake drum make sure you use a brake cleaner before putting them back on.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Euwww... If there is grease on the shoes don't even bother to clean them, new ones are the safest answer to lubricated brake shoes, but at least they won't squeak.

But do let us know that actually happened. Just yesterday someone told use that it couldn't happen, so you may be OK....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
On the Easy Lube spindles, make sure you are using a good double lip seal.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The typical brake kit comes with a useless rubber coated seal. go to a real parts store or a marine supply and get the correct seals.
I recently had the same experience... The seal lip did not fail in my case.
The entire seal simply fell out. not only was it not precise, it wasn't metal to metal in the hub leading to an imprecise fit without a proper friction fit.
I cleaned up the mess and reinstalled an old seal. This will have to do until I find a flanged double lipped seal from a reputable manufacturer.
The flange is not absolutely necessary, it is simply a far superior design which virtually eliminates the likelihood of installation error.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The flange isn't necessary. Just cover the seal with a clean piece of 2x4 and wang away this everything is level.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Euwww... If there is grease on the shoes don't even bother to clean them, new ones are the safest answer to lubricated brake shoes, but at least they won't squeak.

But do let us know that actually happened. Just yesterday someone told use that it couldn't happen, so you may be OK....
If the following is that to which you refer, then you have sorely misstated the facts as to what was said....

"E-Z lube axles are designed to be used just as you say not to.
Used properly, an EZ-Lube hub can not be over filled, in fact it is designed to push the old grease out into the chamber where the zerk is located."

A faulty seal or an improper application is not a fair indictment of a good design...Full is full. A port is provided to vent any excess grease.
Of course care must be taken when using a hand grease gun which can produce thousands of PSI. The same admonition applies to impact wrenches, air compressors, and just about any other tool.

Almost anyone who has ever attempted to change just the shoes on a 7" brake, would opt to clean them.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
The flange isn't necessary. Just cover the seal with a clean piece of 2x4 and wang away this everything is level.
As I said...
"The flange is not absolutely necessary, it is simply a far superior design which virtually eliminates the likelihood of installation error."

Or splinters!!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #10

New Hampshire
ok, thanks, yep, the kit came with rubber seals.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't have any statistics for "Almost Anyone" when it comes to who cleans grease contaminated brake shoes, but for the nominal cost of new shoes or pads I, among many others mentioned on line, would replace them....period.

When "Joe the Home Mechanic" is doing brake work, he is not just risking his own families health and safety, but also that of all of us on the road with him. Now, if a person were an experienced and qualified brake mechanic, that answer might be different.

In looking on different sites it sounds that overfilling bearing buddy hubs is a lot easier than one would think. But if everyone was an expert mechanic this really shouldn't be a problem... right?

Murphy's Law #4 applies, "If something can be used improperly, it will be used improperly", hence my earlier warning and concerns.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Clarification

[ Quote Bob Miller>

"In looking on different sites it sounds that overfilling bearing buddy hubs is a lot easier than one would think. But if everyone was an expert mechanic this really shouldn't be a problem... right?"

I was led to believe that "Bearing Buddies " and "EZ Lube" were two totally different animals . Floyd's description of the EZ Lube system matches what I saw reading the literature from Dexter . I was never a fan of Bearing Buddies so I am hoping there not the same !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

I was led to believe that "Bearing Buddies " and "EZ Lube" were two totally different animals....
They aren't the same. About the only thing they have in common is the zerk.

Bearing Buddies should never be used on a spindle that has brakes.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Boy, I wish I lived close enough to come over and help. First of all, on these kind of spindles, you always need a new seal everytime you take the hub/drum off. When you install new seals, they must be installed correctly so that they match up with the hub and bearings inside. I use over half a full tube of red grease when I repack both my EZ Lube bearings, but they're 10" brakes if that makes any difference.

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

New Hampshire
Alright, we pulled it back apart and saw that the seal (yes, a new, rubber seal) had sat right over the holes in the spindle where the grease comes out, and no grease traveled along the spindle - it all went behind the seal. And yes, the grease is all over the brake pads, and the brake pads don't appear to be removable, so it looks like we are going to replace the whole unit. Live and learn. Hubby did his forensic examination as he took it apart, and now with our further understanding of how it works he sees why some folks on here recommended a different type of seal that has a metal cap or ring - because that will space the seal farther back and allow the grease to come out and go outwards. Right? He is going to take the cleaned up parts to the auto parts store tomorrow and try to find these other seals. And for your entertainment, I am posting a very embarrassing pic of the brake drum full of grease. Please be kind. We are quite beside ourselves that we put that much grease into this before we wondered why it wasn't coming out!!!
Attached Thumbnails
101_0787.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #16

New Hampshire
Not even a single sympathetic mumble?

I'm guessing no one was on here at 2 am to see my last pathetic posting? I was pretty sure I'd get at least a couple of ROFLs....
Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
I'm guessing no one was on here at 2 am to see my last pathetic posting? I was pretty sure I'd get at least a couple of ROFLs....
I hope you can figure out what's going on and get it repaired easily and get out and camp!

Best of luck to you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #18

New Hampshire
Thanks Frank! That's exactly what we needed, a reminder of why we are doing this in the first place.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #19

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I would imagine no one is ROFL because we are all too busy remembering when we have done similar seemingly stupid but easy to do things.

Good luck with the redo and remember part of the reason we try these things on our own is so we can learn.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Trailer shop I go to said blowing grease into the hubs is very common, had the stack of grease covered parts in a scrap barrel to prove his point.

I seem to recall he also recommended rotating the hub a bit as the grease was put in to distribute it around the bearing. Not sure if that is the same axle as you have but it makes sense.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes