Brakes installer in So Cal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Brakes installer in So Cal?

In case I buy this scamp I'm looking for, does anyone have a recommendation for an installer to add electronic brakes? Scamp customer service didn't have a recommendation, but they did say, "Ya might try Camperworld." And there is one close. But if there's a highly recommended independant shop I'd prefer that. The Scamp's in Mission viejo south of LA, I'll be on my way north. I'd prefer to do it as early in the journey as possible.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
In case I buy this scamp I'm looking for, does anyone have a recommendation for an installer to add electronic brakes? Scamp customer service didn't have a recommendation, but they did say, "Ya might try Camperworld." And there is one close. But if there's a highly recommended independant shop I'd prefer that. The Scamp's in Mission viejo south of LA, I'll be on my way north. I'd prefer to do it as early in the journey as possible.
This is not "rocket science" if the axle has the four bolt plate on the spindles, then it is a simple matter to install the brakes since they come assembled. Anyone with basic mechanical and electrical skills can do this job. It's about a 3 or 3-1/2 on a 1-10 DIY scale.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks, sounds like the kind of thing I'd prefer to do my self, but I don't have many tools with me or a comfortable place to work. While it sounds like any mechanic can do the job, the average mechanic is less than, well I don't want to say less than honest, so I'll just say he's out for himself more than me. So I'd prefer a reference, if anyone's got one.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is not "rocket science" if the axle has the four bolt plate on the spindles, then it is a simple matter to install the brakes since they come assembled. Anyone with basic mechanical and electrical skills can do this job. It's about a 3 or 3-1/2 on a 1-10 DIY scale.

It's the "if" part that need to be addresses first. If the axle has the backing plates it's not a big deal. If not a new axle with brakes will be needed. I am not familiar with what Scamp uses. The next issue if there is a backing plate is getting the right sized brakes for the trailer which might have to be ordered.

My husband works in MV as a mechanic but can't do side work at work. I will ask if he can recommend any one in that area.

Edited to ad.. he doesn't know anyone to recommend because they do all their work in house.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
It's the "if" part that need to be addresses first. If the axle has the backing plates it's not a big deal. If not a new axle with brakes will be needed. I am not familiar with what Scamp uses. The next issue if there is a backing plate is getting the right sized brakes for the trailer which might have to be ordered.

My husband works in MV as a mechanic but can't do side work at work. I will ask if he can recommend any one in that area.

Edited to ad.. he doesn't know anyone to recommend because they do all their work in house.

So close and yet, no dice. Thanks for enquiring.

Scamp factory says a 2001 should be brakes ready. But Camping World won't talk about even looking for parts to order without seeing it at their shop.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't recommend anyone, but check to see if there's a utility trailer builder/manufacturer in your area. They know how to put axles on and may be able to help with brakes if the axle has the backing plates.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can't recommend anyone, but check to see if there's a utility trailer builder/manufacturer in your area. They know how to put axles on and may be able to help with brakes if the axle has the backing plates.
I'm home now. Gotta say, never felt like I needed more braking at any point on my 500 mile trip. LA freeways, high way 1 up the coast, but I was driving very deliberately, keeping it very smooth, looking for any surprises way ahead. It was exhausting, but fun too. I do wish my little car had more supple suspension, but that's another matter. I still want trailer brakes, if just for that panicked "Oh s--t!" moment if it ever comes, heaven forbid.

I have the original owners manual, it has a Dexter model/part number for the brakes. So unless the trailer has a new axle, which I really doubt, I should just be able to order them. I'll check it out underneath there tomorrow and hopefully be able to get an order in Monday I did the brakes on all three of my cars, might as well do the trailer.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Although an axle swap might be premature for a 2001, you may want to price out a new axle with brakes and compare it to the brakes alone. Your axle is 1/2 - 2/3 the way through it's anticipated life span. If new axle, consider the bolt on brackets for the future.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Although an axle swap might be premature for a 2001, you may want to price out a new axle with brakes and compare it to the brakes alone. Your axle is 1/2 - 2/3 the way through it's anticipated life span. If new axle, consider the bolt on brackets for the future.
I will consider that. But, money is a little tight until I'm getting paychecks again. The remaining 1/2 to 1/3 of it's life (based on your 10 year old 1/2 to 2/3 used up estimate) should be another 5 to 10 years. So as long as I can get a similar replacement axle down the road that will take the brakes I buy now I can live with that.

Is swapping the whole axle a similarly simple job as bolt on brakes? I was under the impression a new axle would mean some welding, but that may be for older eggs that didn't come with brake capable axle from the factory. Hopefully the 2001 era axles are bolt on. I really want to learn to weld, but not on my new Scamp!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #10

You also need to run power to the brakes....
Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
You also need to run power to the brakes....
Yep, got my eye on the P3 brake controller by Tekonsha. Probably overkill but it looks awesome. Not sure if my trailer's 7 pin connector cable has the wire in it for the brakes (blue?) or if I'll have to redo that. If that has the wire in the cable extending it to the brakes from the cable should be pretty easy. Running from the controller to the car connector should be no problem, I've already run stereo wires into the trunk from the cabin, one more wire will be easy. And if the trailer's cable doesn't have it, I won't mind terribly putting in a new cable as the one on it now is big, clunky, extra thick and covered in electrical tape, surely there's a nice shiny, perhaps coiled cable that would be nicer than what's on there.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

You like the Prodigy... I've got the P2. Cheap(er) online here: Prodigy Brake Control by Tekonsha - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts. Fortunately my tug was wired, so it's plug and play. How cool is that!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
You like the Prodigy... I've got the P2. Cheap(er) online here: Prodigy Brake Control by Tekonsha - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts. Fortunately my tug was wired, so it's plug and play. How cool is that!
Yeah, I was looking for the Tekonsha plug and play wiring harness for Miatas at Camping World and they didn't have one for some reason?! Must be nice to have a "tow ready" TV.

OK, seems there is no way I'm getting brakes on this trailer before I need to head off to New Mexico. Scamp, even with the $500+ expedited shipping option will take a week to get it here (normal shipping is about $120). I need to leave next Monday or Tuesday. Dexter says there is no way to weld brake flanges onto my TorFlex Axle (And I sure don't see where they'd securely, precisely attach). So I need a new axle entirely and that is only about $540 with brakes before shipping, but no way to get it in time.

I'm feeling pretty confident towing this thing after my 500 miles getting it home through a variety of challenging conditions. But the thought of a dreaded panic stop, or unexpected gusts of high winds freaks me out. Hopefully freaked out enough to drive extra carefully and deliberately.

I'll get a much cheaper rate at welders in Albuquerque than the SF bay area anyway, and I'll be closer to Scamp for shipping costs (trying to look on the bright side of a less than ideal situation).
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Order a new axle from a trailer supply place. We have used Red Neck with very good luck. Still ain't going to happen this week though. I hate to think of you towing without brakes. There are some mountains between here and there, and bad drivers too! Be careful!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #15

British Columbia
Yeah, it is regrettable. But I do feel a lot more confident having towed it 500 miles so far, equal to about half the distance of my trip to NM. So I have some idea what to expect. I did avoid the one huge downhill on the 101 freeway, so giant mountain sized downhill grades will have to be taken extremely cautiously until I get a sense what I'm up against. And yeah, I was amazed at how people just get annoyed by a slow moving vehicle in the slow lane, doing really unsafe things to get around me, not stopping to think that maybe I'm in the slow lane going slow because I have a large load and want to be safe!! I did find I had to be 100% attentive 100% of the time towing this rig. I am leaving 7 days for the trip so I will not feel hurried and can take time consuming detours or sit out less than ideal conditions.

But overall, I'm much more excited than concerned. Taking it slow and easy I don't think I'll have problems based on my experience so far.

Just remember "safety third!", or wait, that's just for burning man, "Safety first!!" is what I meant.

Tags
brakes