Brakes mandatory for which US States? Canada? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #1

Name: Carmella
Alberta
Brakes mandatory for which US States? Canada?

Hi All

I am a Canadian about to embark on a solo road trip down through the Western part of the United States with my little Trillium. I do not have brakes on it now and was not planning on getting them since I will likely stay relatively flat (Nevada and such). I drive really carefully and slow. But my concern is the police perhaps giving me trouble...has this happened to anyone? Could they make me park my trailer because of some law? What about these pesky lights that seem to not be fully functional in the back...the plug just seems to be really old style 7 plug RV...

Much obliged for any tips and or advice

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I don't know about brake regulations, but get those lights fixed. It's got nothing to do with regulations, really. It's all about safety!

coop

Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmella in Canada View Post
Hi All

I am a Canadian about to embark on a solo road trip down through the Western part of the United States with my little Trillium. I do not have brakes on it now and was not planning on getting them since I will likely stay relatively flat (Nevada and such). I drive really carefully and slow. But my concern is the police perhaps giving me trouble...has this happened to anyone? Could they make me park my trailer because of some law? What about these pesky lights that seem to not be fully functional in the back...the plug just seems to be really old style 7 plug RV...

Much obliged for any tips and or advice
Brake laws are normally for trailers registered in state. I wouldn't worry too much about brakes - if it is legal in your home province you will not be dinged down here.

HOWEVER - Your lights need to be fixed - Yes, for safety. But, also, you will be pulled over and cited with a fix-it-ticket (at least in CA) and will have to appear in court to prove you fixed the problem.

If your brake lights work and you only have trouble with your running lights you can just travel during daylight hours - in CA that is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset. Again - for safety I travel with my running lights on during the day.....

Good luck and enjoy the western U.S.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
A couple of links that might help - Towing World,
Rocket Trailers
And, although not as useful to those here, Towed Motor Vehicles by State
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I also drive safe and carefull, BUT I would put on brakes. I am not concerned about how good and safe I am, I am worried about the other guy who does not care.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
I also drive safe and carefull, BUT I would put on brakes. I am not concerned about how good and safe I am, I am worried about the other guy who does not care.
Its like what I say to my wife all the time. "I'm not worried about me, I'm paying attention. Its the masses of other people on the road that aren't paying attention. At least I'm 50% safer than them!" Two people, not paying attention is a recipe for disaster!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
seems to me I remember reading somewhere something to the effect that IF its legal where you live its legal on the road with you, might be wrong (yet again though....).

Tags
brakes