Brakes on Bigfoot TT? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Humm caliber shouldn't clamp down and allow the pads to freeze to the rotor all on it's own ... did you apply the parking brake? The brake piston has to be moved for the pad to touch the rotor.

Technically the same thing would happen if using drum brakes. Apply the parking brake and the shoes press against the drum and could likely freeze there.
The front pads froze to the disc, the piston of the caliper has no return spring so the pad is always in slight contact with the disc.When driving it is only the runout of the disc that gives any clearance, so when parking on the driveway after braking to a stop there is no clearance. On drum brakes there are return springs that always leave some clearance as long as the parking brake is not applied.I would not recommend leaving the hand brake on for weeks at a time. It would be interesting to hear from owners of trailers with disc brakes if there are in fact any drawbacks.

TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25' Rear Queen
Originally Posted by Trusty2010 View Post
Thank you, Jim. Hearing your experiences (except the downhill part!) is very reassuring since I also have a Tundra 4.7L. And, yes, I completely agree with you about the w.d. hitch + anti-sway - probably will get the Equalizer since I had it on an early trailer and it worked great.

And, Thank you, Tony for the information. The Bigfoot I am looking at is a 2007 so I am hoping the brakes are still okay - but it sounds like they have had no maintenance in three years so they need to be checked out before we hit the road.
My 2007 Bigfoot 17.5G (loaded with just about every option) may be for sale. Did you already purchase the 2007? Will you contact me with the details?

Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote