Brakes on Lil Snooze - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Seems the boat forums have the same arguments.............
I've never used electric brakes. My last boat had surge brake issues that I traced to the master cylinder. Couldn't figure out how come my brakes were hot. Come to find out the master cylinder was sticking and not completely disengaging. Installed a new master cylinder and problem was resolved.

Overall surge brakes are no different than drum brakes on a car. Just inspect them periodically and you should be in good shape.

I tow alot through mountains and I like the surge brakes going down hill because they will engage and keep me slowed down.

As far as backing up the trailer with surge brakes, I haven't found any negative issues associated with it.

Surge Brakes – Issues with them? - Boat Talk - Chaparral Boats Owners Club

Old 09-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Well, that explains the surge brakes.
Yep. The trailers must be a better deal than building them
and then charging a upgrade for surge brakes...................LOL

Some have ordered them with electric brakes.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #45

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree with Mike and have a preference for electric brakes for the same reasons he gave.
I have to say that outside of a small malfunction which was easily repaired shortly after taking delivery of my Lil Snoozy that I have since had absolutely no issues with my brakes 10 K miles later.
The first time our trailer needs brake work I plan on converting to electric and again for the same reasons Mike gave.
I have looked on line and have seen conversion kits. Looks pretty simple to convert.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #46

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
One could say that electric brakes are terrible because someone tried to tow an electric brake trailer without a controller, and the brakes didn't work. Maybe electric brakes are terrible because someone tried to tow an electric brake trailer with worn out brakes and they screamed down a mountain out of control. Jared, did that trailer which wouldn't back up have either free-backing brakes or a reverse solenoid which was hooked up to the reverse light circuit and working? Keep in mind that much experience with surge brakes is with rented trailers, which are notoriously poorly maintained.

Certainly a hydraulic line is more expensive and more complex to maintain than a wire, and any significant mechanical device (such as a surge actuator) is more expensive and more likely to need maintenance than a modern electronic brake controller.

As for "idiots"... Someone needs a cargo trailer once or twice in the life of their current vehicle to move some stuff. He would rather rent a surge-braked trailer for thirty bucks each time than wire his tug, buy and install a controller, and then rent an electric braked trailer for the same price. Is he an idiot?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #47

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Bill in Pittsburgh,

The guy at Wesco told me it was basically a matter of "pulling the hydraulic backers and putting on electric backers." Didn't sound complicated for anyone who knows what backers are (not sure I do, exactly, but I have a vague idea).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #48

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Bill in Pittsburgh,

The guy at Wesco told me it was basically a matter of "pulling the hydraulic backers and putting on electric backers." Didn't sound complicated for anyone who knows what backers are (not sure I do, exactly, but I have a vague idea).
I think that the reference is to the backing plate. Hydraulic and electric brakes both use the same axle mount and drums. You would also change the coupler as you don't need the extendable function that actuates the master cylinder.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #49

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
The trailer had a manual lockout for reverse, which didn't move.

I've installed brake controllers for one time use, so yes, I would go that route.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #50

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
The trailer had a manual lockout for reverse, which didn't move.
So it was both obsolete and defective or damaged... kind of like an electric brake trailer with an old timed controller and broken wire connections?

Quote:
I've installed brake controllers for one time use, so yes, I would go that route.
A perfectly good choice (especially in a pre-wired truck), but does that mean someone who isn't willing to install a controller for one-time use is an idiot?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #51

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Yes, the lockout was damaged, but an electric one doesn't require a lockout. If they're locked out, then they obviously don't work in reverse. That usually wouldn't be a problem, but I can think of a few times it wouldn't have been fun without them. As for obsolete, I have no idea how new equipment trailers are set up.

No, somebody isn't an idiot for not wanting to install a controller for one time use, but I stick to my statement that surge brakes are the way to go for rentals towed by idiots. Even with a brake controller, most wouldn't have them setup properly.

Tags
brakes