brakes or no brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Thank you all for your thoughts and good information on this topic. We will look into the cost of installing brakes and consider our usage. So far we have not had any problems with the trailer and we have had it all over the west, up and down mountains, but if we increase our travel opportunities and do not move up to a larger trailer in the near future we'd certain get the brakes. It is still a curiosity to me as to why some small Burros have them and others don't, but at different times Burro's were made different places. Ours was made in Sac City Iowa.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
as you've seen, sometimes people just upgrade to brakes just for the safety factor, I doubt if any smaller early eggs had brakes from the facory unless they were custom ordered.

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
The '87 Burro 17' widebody I had was also manufactured in Sac City and, believe it or not, didn't come with brakes. The axle was also woefully underspec'd for the trailer weight as well. I installed a much heavier (and appropriately spec'd) axle with brakes immediately after I bought it.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's an interesting site for CA brake requirements:

I think what has happened is that the RV manfs have become more safety conscious, for a number of reasons, and have gradually upgraded the trailers.

Scamp, for example, used 1 7/8" inch couplers on the 13' and 16', then put 2" on the 16' and now uses 2" on both. Axles on the 13' were 1,200#, then 1,600# and now are 2,200#. I believe Casita 13' brakes were an option and now have brakes as standard. Small Coleman pop-ups now come with brakes standard.

As someone (Brian?) pointed out a while back, regardless of what the tow vehicle and trailer are, six braked tires on the pavement are more useful than only four...

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote