Brakes-they work! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Brakes-they work!

When I bought my Scamp, the Marines(yes, it was a military unit) had stripped the brakes of all but the backing plates. Ordered new from etrailer along with a prodigy p2. Just got them installed-and they work! Should now make an easier tow up and down my mountain((I'm at 7,000ft). I got the emergency brake switch too.

Nice to know I'm a little safer now.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Yes and legal too.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
the reasoning they do this on all units rented by Welfair & Rec. they can't provide renters with prodogy Brake controllers.and people were wiring the brakes directly to Brake lights--thus Burning out the brakes--it was easier for Mechanic??? to take them off===duh---cut the wire same thing.
i rented one many years back-But i had a controller---guy renting it to me---didn't know what i was talking about---BUT I did,
sparky1.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Sorry - can't resist an old inter-service rivalry joke. "The Marines do so well in a Charge because bayonets have so few moving parts. Anything that has more moving parts than a bayonet, the Marines won't understand"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Utah
Registry
That's why I was Army!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
The military doesn't order all of their campers with brakes. I have two Casitas I got from military surplus and neither has them. Wish they did.
On that subject does anyone else have a surplus unit?
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
1.Thanks for serving.
2. I was a sailor,always had shiny shoes---Marine job security--ha-ha-wherever I was, they had marines (except subs I rode).I was in Beirut 83-Disaster--84 came home-I was Nato Peace Keeper,
still have lots of Marine Jokes,, but i'm pretty quiet about them now.The Marines & sailors at Welfare & rec,were mostly Medical hold---had no clue about RV's and that stuff.,
i've had campers since 1967.1 tent camper, 2.truck campers, 5.TT's, 4 motorhomes, 2.vans still have most of them.
sparky1.in s.va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #8

Utah
Registry
Gene: Mine came from the factory with brakes and a 7 wire connector. The military base took the guts out of the brakes and cut off the 7 wire and attached a 4 wire connector(and cross wired it too!). I guess, as a BX rental unit, they were trying to make it as simple as possible(but why did they take out the fresh water tank?). The unit was a 'basic' unit-no frig or icebox, no heater, just the closet where the bathroom goes and a 2 burner stove. But the price was right to me!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Dennis, I guess I should consider myself a little lucky. I'ts just like them to order them as basic as possible. I've seen some on Govliquidaion.com that were decked out pretty well. That is the first I've heard of one that basic. My first one is a 13' from a small base in duluth, Mn. It was being used as a guard station at one of the entrance points. Possibly a rental before that. It was abused. I got it real cheap and did a lot of fixing. I will be trying to sell it this month. Everything works.
My current one, I got at the Grand Forks, ND AFB base from the Outdoor Rec agency. They sold two of them. I tried for both. The other one had a bathroom. Pretty good shape. Mine needed some tinkering but nothing major. No bath but a working fridge, stove, heater & AC. I know of at least 2 other units people have got from the base that are in ND. They are operational but kind of rough but nothing a little TLC can't remedy.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote