Break away cables - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I installed the same switch Byron listed. I was told they were required in California, but didn't verify that.
Whether or not the switch is beneficial is a matter of luck when the trailer becomes unattached, and where other cars are situated.
A trailer suddenly stopping will wake up the following drivers in a hurry with no brake lights.
Likewise a trailer zigzagging across the interstate at full speed would not be the best thing either.
The best medicine is to keep your coupler in good shape, adjusted and double check your actions when hooking up.
If the whole front A frame breaks off the trailer the battery will likely be disabled and the brakes won't function. Periodic inspection for cracks in that area would be a good idea. Look for rust lines on the painted surface.
Some manufacturers use a simple butt welded miter joint at the A frame junction with no fish plate reinforcement. Pretty iffy....

Russ
Good post. Lots to think about here. Then there is the do you make the switch activate before or after the safety chains are engaged discussion. A search will yield arguments for each. I made mine the last line of defense and hope it's never needed.

One other point. I some how had mine pulled while camped. I dont know how it happened but the battery was dead by morning. Now I check it as part of setting up. Raz

Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #16

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
I'm confused. My 2005 13 ft Deluxe Scamp came with trailer brakes. I areplaced safety chains with new heavy duty ones with safety clasps, and added coupler locks. Why do I need a break away switch, too? My rig has been in the shop several times for repairs, but no one mentioned a break away switch? Not sure how it would work....If the coupler fails, the safety chains are in place. So why do I need such a device?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I'm confused. My 2005 13 ft Deluxe Scamp came with trailer brakes. I areplaced safety chains with new heavy duty ones with safety clasps, and added coupler locks. Why do I need a break away switch, too? My rig has been in the shop several times for repairs, but no one mentioned a break away switch? Not sure how it would work....If the coupler fails, the safety chains are in place. So why do I need such a device?
I would suggest you this http://www.oregon.gov/odot/ts/docs/v...ng_trailer.pdf It explains Oregon's towing laws and recommended practices.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I just checked on neighboring states. All neighboring States require a breakaway switch. If stay in Oregon and NEVER go out of the State you don't have to have a breakaway switch.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
Thanks to this thread I discovered I am supposed to have a breakaway switch in California. I suppose DMV could have mentioned that when I first registered it here. Anyway it was fairly easy to install and I discovered a disconnected ground wire for the left brake in the process. All is good now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app