Breakaway Switch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Breakaway Switch

Does Scamp install a breakaway switch at the factory? Is it required in every state?
Jaycojunkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojunkie46 View Post
Does Scamp install a breakaway switch at the factory? Is it required in every state?
Last I checked, Scamp did not supply a breakaway switch on the thirteen.
I'm not sure about the larger trailers but I think not.
Brakes are an option on the 13 and are now in the option package with the front bath.
Most states do not require a breakaway switch or even brakes on trailers under 3000lbs. A Breakaway switch is commonly required when brakes are required. The switch is a cheap thing to buy and an easy thing to install if you choose to get one aftermarket.
You might check with your local DMV on line to see what is required where you live.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here's a listing of general trailer brake requirements by state:
Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Although many are at 3000 lbs before requirement brakes, the state with the most RV's, California, sets it at 1500 lbs along with a number of others. Two are at 1000 lbs.

IMHO: And with about 30+ years of RV towing experience, and one instance where a tow ball snapped off and the breakaway switch saved the day, I wouldn't be without brakes and a breakaway switch on anything over 1000 lbs, regardless of local requirements. Even a 650 lb tent trailer I recently restored had both electric brakes and a breakaway switch from the factory.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I tried to get one installed on our new to be Scamp 16 they would not do it.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Last I checked, Scamp did not supply a breakaway switch on the thirteen.
I'm not sure about the larger trailers but I think not.
Brakes are an option on the 13 and are now in the option package with the front bath.
Most states do not require a breakaway switch or even brakes on trailers under 3000lbs. A Breakaway switch is commonly required when brakes are required. The switch is a cheap thing to buy and an easy thing to install if you choose to get one aftermarket.
You might check with your local DMV on line to see what is required where you live.

I believe it's a Federal law that if brakes are required so is breakaway braking system.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Whether required or not a breakaway switch is smart, inexpensive and easy to install. We added one to our Scamp 16 after the trailer came off the ball (though the anti-sway bar kept it all together).

The previous owner had inappropriately modified the ball receiver causing our problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Here is one make by CURT:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cht-52010

They are inexpensive.
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I believe it's a Federal law that if brakes are required so is breakaway braking system.
The thing is, no Scamp13 or 16 is required to have brakes,(most states) so even when equipped with brakes, they are not required to have a breakaway switch.
In some states the breakaway switch is required at a higher weight than brakes are required. I.E... TN requires brakes at 1500#, but a breakaway switch is not required until 3000#... Besides,You know what they say nowadays..."Ley federal es una broma! "
Its only ten bucks and ten minutes to install one, anybody who wants one should be able to get one!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Over the years I've seen some really creative break away switches. Some wrapped around the jack to keep the wire from dragging!. Spend a couple of bucks, get something that works like it should and isn't some Red Neck, patched together... maybe works-maybe doesn't switch. You are protecting an asset and maybe others on the same traveled road. This is one to consider: Zip™ Breakaway Cable » Fastway Trailer Products
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #10

Most Scamps are required to have brakes if they are towed in about 10 different states AND/OR if they are towed anywhere by a great number of popular TV's that have reduced limits without brakes.

As state towing requirements are considered minimum requirements, there is no harm at all in towing on the safe side and following the most restrictive of them, i.e. 1000 lbs. or more requires brakes, and let's toss in breakaway switches for an extra margin.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Not federal. Ks doesn't require them, but if they're installed, they must be working...go figure that one. I got dinged registering an out of state trailer with a battery that needed replaced. I was putting a winch and a big battery on, so I didn't bother fixing it then. I ended up temporarily taking the switch off the trailer to pass registration...

I added a breakaway switch to the scamp when I rewired it, cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
I tried to get one installed on our new to be Scamp 16 they would not do it.
Ken
Hi Ken, I went to the factory and picked up my Scamp new and towed it back to Pa. When I had it inspected I was told I needed a breakaway switch to pass. They installed it at the trailer facility for me for about 10 dollars or less. Well worth it.
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 AM   #13

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I've been wondering for quite a while what a breakaway switch is for and why one might need one? I do not have this in my trailer, but I do have brakes and safety chains.

Would a reader please teach me about this? Thank you!

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraps1958 View Post
Hi Ken, I went to the factory and picked up my Scamp new and towed it back to Pa. When I had it inspected I was told I needed a breakaway switch to pass. They installed it at the trailer facility for me for about 10 dollars or less. Well worth it.
Same deal for me as well. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wendy,

A breakaway switch is a small mechanical switch mounted on the front of the trailer. When hooking up the trailer to the tow vehicle, the switch is connected to the tow vehicle by a thin steel cable.

Should the trailer 'breakaway' from the tow vehicle, the cable activates the trailer's breakaway switch causing the trailer's brakes to activate, stopping the trailer.

The breakaway switch consists of two switch contacts separated by a plastic 'plug'. One contact is connected to the positive side of the trailer battery the other contact is connected to the electric brake's activation wire.

When the trailer breaks away from the tow vehicle, typically by coming off the ball, the thin steel cable connected to the tow vehicle pulls the plastic plug as the trailer separates from the tow vehicle.. This results in the 12 volts being connected to the brakes and brake activation.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Wow fascinating! Thank you Honda! I want one of those! Any suggestions for a good brand name and is this something an auto mechanic can put on or do I go to rv joint?

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You also have to check that your trailer brake ground wire has connection to the battery in your trailer. On my Scamp the brake coils ground wire goes to the frame so I had to make sure the battery had a good ground to the frame. When the tug separates from the trailer the breakaway switch draws power from the on board battery. Not all brake coils are wired negative to the frame some are wired to the ground on the 7 pin cable which still should be wired to the frame but you have to check to make sure you are wired battery negative to the frame when the 7 pin cable is disconnected. You will have to make sure the battery wiring to the frame can carry enough current to fully activate the brakes and not be under wired. Not all trailers are wired the same or correctly. Double check and be safe.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #18

As this has to do with safety, I would suggest having a person knowledgeable with trailer brakes and electrical systems do the install. It has to be either connected to the coach battery, via a fused line that is HOT when towing, or to the separate mini battery that some breakaway switch systems come with.

The safety chains are only a part of the system. Should you have a trailer come off of the ball and fall onto the safety chains you might not know about it immediately and the trailer will come forward and can even spin around when you hit your brakes when this happens.

For this reason the break away switch cable has to be kept short enough to activate the brakes with the safety chains still in place.

Years ago we had the thrill of a hitch ball break off of a U-Haul moving truck while towing a new boat. Before everything was stopped the trailer was buried under the truck, breaking off the tongue jack.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Wow fascinating! Thank you Honda! I want one of those! Any suggestions for a good brand name and is this something an auto mechanic can put on or do I go to rv joint?

See my post, #9 You need both the cable and the switch. Protect your investment!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As this has to do with safety, I would suggest having a person knowledgeable with trailer brakes and electrical systems do the install. It has to be either connected to the coach battery, via a fused line that is HOT when towing, or to the separate mini battery that some breakaway switch systems come with.

The safety chains are only a part of the system. Should you have a trailer come off of the ball and fall onto the safety chains you might not know about it immediately and the trailer will come forward and can even spin around when you hit your brakes when this happens.

For this reason the break away switch cable has to be kept short enough to activate the brakes with the safety chains still in place.

Years ago we had the thrill of a hitch ball break off of a U-Haul moving truck while towing a new boat. Before everything was stopped the trailer was buried under the truck, breaking off the tongue jack.
What would be the merit of placing a fuse in the breakaway switch line?
Would it not potentially compromise the very purpose of the switch?

Tags
scamp