Breakaway switch cable snapped - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Fun Finder (X139)
My breakaway switch cable just snapped. No warning.

I always have it to OVER the safety chains, so it won't drag on the road and cause sparks or just get worn down. I do NOT wrap it around the safety chains, since I don't want it to snag and accidentally set off the breakaway switch on the interstate. It is long enough to allow slack for turning, etc... but no too long.

Any ideas on why this might have broken? It just snapped. I don't remember it being frayed, but why would it just snap? There's never any pressure on it. It always had plenty of slack. The only friction would be against the top of the safety chains.

Thank god the trailer didn't come loose the same day this cable snapped.

For a new one, just go to any RV store? Camping World?
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">For a new one, just go to any RV store? Camping World?</span>
Almost any RV store will have them in stock.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I think this one is pretty neat. No dragging on the ground! Fastway® Zip Breakaway Cable & Switch Won’t Drag... You can buy just the cable. See if there's a dealer in your area....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
My breakaway switch cable just snapped. No warning.

I always have it to OVER the safety chains, so it won't drag on the road and cause sparks or just get worn down. I do NOT wrap it around the safety chains, since I don't want it to snag and accidentally set off the breakaway switch on the interstate. It is long enough to allow slack for turning, etc... but no too long.

Any ideas on why this might have broken? It just snapped. I don't remember it being frayed, but why would it just snap? There's never any pressure on it. It always had plenty of slack. The only friction would be against the top of the safety chains.

Thank god the trailer didn't come loose the same day this cable snapped.

If it had been pinched at some point, maybe between the hitch and the ball bar, or some other pinch point, it could subsequently snap at the weak spot where it was impacted.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I think this one is pretty neat. No dragging on the ground! Fastway® Zip Breakaway Cable & Switch Won’t Drag... You can buy just the cable. See if there's a dealer in your area....
Donna, I swear, you are just full of......oh, yeh,.....great ideas. What a cool tool. Gotta get one of those cause I'm sick of fighting that thing.

Thanks,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Fun Finder (X139)
Quote:
Donna, I swear, you are just full of......oh, yeh,.....great ideas. What a cool tool. Gotta get one of those cause I'm sick of fighting that thing.

Thanks,

EKW
I ordered one of those zip breakaway cables. You just attach it with a ring to the old plastic piece that snaps in. Instantly compatible. And won't drag.

Thanks for the recommendation!

paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Odd how things happen. Just last Tuesday I unhooked in Rawlins, WY to have my tahoe looked at, then hooked up and drove to Lander, Wy. While unhooking, I realized that I had forgotten to hook up the safety cable and it drug all the way to Lander. Needless to say, it was a frayed mess. So, off to ACE Hardware I went and fashioned a new one.

I'm ordering one of those Donna recommended ones too.

Dummy Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a couple of images of the Fastway® Zip Breakaway Cable
Attached Thumbnails
Fastway_Zip_w_Switch_08_buster.jpg  
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Donna -

You are da'bomb!

I am ordering that cable today!

I too am sick and tired of worrying about accidently snaring my cable on something and coming to a dead stop! And I keep cutting my fingers on the fraying pieces of metal.

Thanks for another great idea!
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here's a couple of images of the Fastway® Zip Breakaway Cable
I just bought the Fastway Zip 4 FT cable at a local So Cal dealer. They are selling it for $11.95 (vs $14.00 at Fastway). They also carry the full Breakaway system. Really nice shop.

You can save a couple of dollars by checking them out on the Web:

http://store.sevensaturdays.com/fastwaytrailer.html

They also carry covers for Casitas and Scamps:

http://store.sevensaturdays.com/rv.html
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Donna,

Was that a picture of my trailer at the Oregon gathering. Wink wink I could not find how to add a little graphic in the reply mode with the revamping of this site.

Didn't notice if you had a Fastway zip but everyone coming by my campsite during trailer tours was interested in the Fastway Zip. I told them to do a search on this site because I had added to a post a few months back and it's been advertised in Trailer Life magazine.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Thanks Donna,
I'm putting a whole kit on order from Earlton RV, the home of the recent Wagon's Ho bolerama in Ontario. Along with a few other things.

Got to support those that support us.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote