Burro axle sag questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
I'm currently refurbishing a Burro for a friend, and I suspect the rear axle may be sagging; the trailer seems pretty low to the ground. It has the rubber torsion axle that I hear is pretty common on these little trailers.

What angle are the axle trailing arms supposed to be at? Her trailing arms are up about an inch at the wheel end; I thought I had read here somewhere that the wheel end of the arms should be lower than the axle end.

Is there some kind of "bounce test" I can do to evaluate the axle condition?

What is she looking at, price-wise, if she needs a new axle?

What makes of axle are there? What should one look out for when buying a new axle?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
What angle are the axle trailing arms supposed to be at? Her trailing arms are up about an inch at the wheel end; I thought I had read here somewhere that the wheel end of the arms should be lower than the axle end.

Is there some kind of "bounce test" I can do to evaluate the axle condition?
Steve-- A quick bounce test is: (as related in an old post somewhere) Have someone stand inside and move around (not a full fledged jump) --you watch the swing arms and tires-- if all the movement is in the tire sidewalls and not the swing arms, the axle is probably suspect.

As for angle, mine (on my 20+ year old Scamp) were frozen at 20 degrees up on one side and 25 degress up on the other....... I replaced it with a dexter axle with a 22 degree down angle. This raised the trailer to where I wanted it also. Hope this helps Larry

Tags
axle, burro