Burro frame and axle question - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Burro frame and axle question

Can anyone with a 17' Burro tell me if my setup is original or if someone redid it? I'm attaching photos.

My frame has a cutout where the axle goes through and a piece down below that bolsters across the cutout. Is this how all the Burros are? I'm wondering what would be the best way for axle replacement.

Mike

Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Jayco Talon toyhauler/ 1985 Burro 13 custom.
Registry
Mike, I am not 100% sure, but I would say that someone welded those gussets into place. I have had a few fiberglass trailers and one being a 1987 17' wide body and it didn't have anything like that. Does the frame show any rust through spots where they may have needed the extra gussets for strength?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galazin View Post
Can anyone with a 17' Burro tell me if my setup is original or if someone redid it? I'm attaching photos.

My frame has a cutout where the axle goes through and a piece down below that bolsters across the cutout. Is this how all the Burros are? I'm wondering what would be the best way for axle replacement.

Mike

I agree, looks like the added steel gussets are to support where they cut the frame to put the axle, question is why did they cut the frame for the axle? WHo knows possible to lower the step into the Burro or perhaps it is a replacement axle that didnt fit? Hard to say. If you plan to replace the axle then all could be put back to original, or the gussets could be welded back in as they are.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #4

Oklahoma
I took it to a shop and had them look at it. They recommended removing the gusset for good, restoring the frame (undoing the cutout) and then adding the new axle. But that would mean welding on the frame, which is up against the floor, and they were concerned about consequences to whatever's above the floor at those areas.

Seems to me it would be simpler to take off the gusset, put on a new axles, then weld the gusset back on. But I'm no expert on this stuff, not by a long shot. What do you all think?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I have a 2000 17ft. Burro (you didn't say what year yours was) but mine doesn't look anything like that. On my trailer there's a bracket welded to the outside of the frame, then the axle bolts to that bracket, such that the frame rests on top of the axle. There is no frame cut out.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
I have a 2000 17ft. Burro (you didn't say what year yours was) but mine doesn't look anything like that. On my trailer there's a bracket welded to the outside of the frame, then the axle bolts to that bracket, such that the frame rests on top of the axle. There is no frame cut out.
Thanks. Mine is a '93. I know they changed some things in the '90s but still that helps.

Tags
axle, burro