Burro - What Size Hubcap? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro
I'm trying to figure out if I can put hubcaps on my current wheels, and if so how do I determine what size I need (interested in the baby moon hubcaps). The wheel is a 13 inch wheel and it is on a 13 foot Burro (no idea if the wheels are original). I found the Hubcap Mike website where they give instructions on how to measure ( http://www.hubcapmike.com/baby-moon-measure-3-nubs.html ) for 3 nubs but the issue seems to be the instructions show nubs that point outward but mine seem to point inward. Here is a picture, although I'm not sure how helpful it is. You can see what I'm calling a "nub" just above the number 352 stamping. There are 3 of those nubs/bumps on that inside diameter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	28830
Shane O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I think the difference is merely one's perspective.

One person would say the nubs point inward (toward the center of the wheel ).

While someone else would say they pointed outward ( from the parent metal. )
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #3

Hmm, interesting perspective!

It just seems from looking at the Hubcap Mike website that their instructions seem to show nubs on the outside.

I wasn't expecting issues with buying hubcaps!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Just checked and my Burro baby moons will also fit on my 16ft Scamp wheels. They are tough to find. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
moons.jpg   moons1.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
[quote]I'm trying to figure out if I can put hubcaps on my current wheels, and if so how do I determine what size I need (interested in the baby moon hubcaps). The wheel is a 13 inch wheel and it is on a 13 foot Burro (no idea if the wheels are original). I found the Hubcap Mike website where they give instructions on how to measure ( http://www.hubcapmike.com/baby-moon-measure-3-nubs.html ) for 3 nubs but the issue seems to be the instructions show nubs that point outward but mine seem to point inward. Here is a picture, although I'm not sure how helpful it is. You can see what I'm calling a "nub" just above the number 352 stamping. There are 3 of those nubs/bumps on that inside diameter.

Attachment 28830

Shane, I have two full disc original Burro hubcaps....stainless and in excellent shape that are yours if you want them. Pay the shipping costs from WV (26554) is all I ask. They were on my '83 13' Burro. When I rebuilt the Burro, I went to 14" 5 lug aluminum wheels.
If you want them, let me know. I monitor FGRV about twice a week.
Best wishes,
Mike in West Virginia
13' Burro with a new floor, new Dexter torsion axle w/brakes, mag wheels and new tires.....and a Poly Glow shine.....and NO leaks!
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Shane, I have two full disc original Burro hubcaps....stainless and in excellent shape that are yours if you want them. Pay the shipping costs from WV (26554) is all I ask. They were on my '83 13' Burro. When I rebuilt the Burro, I went to 14" 5 lug aluminum wheels.
If you want them, let me know. I monitor FGRV about twice a week.
Best wishes,
Mike in West Virginia
13' Burro with a new floor, new Dexter torsion axle w/brakes, mag wheels and new tires.....and a Poly Glow shine.....and NO leaks!
Mike,

If Shane doesnt want them put me down for them.

Scott

Scott
Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #7

Holy smokes! Heck yeah I want them (sorry Scott)! I'll PM you to find out how to get you some money for shipping and the trouble.

And thanks to Myron as well, fitting the Scamp as well probably would have been very helpful info.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Holy smokes! Heck yeah I want them (sorry Scott)! I'll PM you to find out how to get you some money for shipping and the trouble.

And thanks to Myron as well, fitting the Scamp as well probably would have been very helpful info.

LOL! No Problem Shane, Send along a pic when you get them put on. How goes the reno? I have mine completey stripped down. Nothing left but the shell. I want to get it painted soon. Do you plan to attend the 2010 EGGFEST / SCAMP CAMP in La Crosse WI in Sept.?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02667.jpg  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #9

Renovation hasn't quite yet begun. However, starting today I am on vacation through next week.

I've done tons and tons of reading on this site and I'm ready to begin the floor replacement. Not sure exactly what I'm doing but I have been restoring Jeeps for years so hopefully my automotive knowledge (and this site) will get me through.

And I was not aware of the Eggfest in WI, I will be definitely looking into attending that!

So much to learn and do!!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Just checked and my Burro baby moons will also fit on my 16ft Scamp wheels. They are tough to find. Hope this helps.

Thanks Myron,

I just ordered a set online, using the measurement on my rims and your measurement of your Baby Moons, I have good confidence they will fit.

Scott
Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
Shane, I need nothing more than the actual shipping costs. I'll send them to the address you sent me via United Parcel Service. When you get them, just send me a check in the amount of shipping. The only other thing I ask is this: if for some reason you don't want to use them, Scott B. was next in line to request them, so, just return the favor and send them on to him. They are NOT baby moons but full-disc hubcaps.
It may be mid-week before I send them to you...if that's OK. If you are going to replace the floor in your Burro and need any long distance, first-hand experience....give me a call. I did a frame-off on my Burro....only and easiest way to do it. Completely removed all wood and fiberglass matting and am glad I did. 3043630367 evenings are best. Be glad to discuss what I found and the reasons for the extensive rot in my Burro.

Best wishes,
Mike
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Myron,

I just ordered a set online, using the measurement on my rims and your measurement of your Baby Moons, I have good confidence they will fit.

Scott
I got the Baby Moon hubcaps today! Ordered Friday and arrived on Monday. The look great and fit great! Unfortunetly my tires are off as I am doing the reno so they will have to wait along with all the other goodies, new tailights, side marker lights, fantastic fan, hook up fixtures, cause first will come the red paint!

And speaking of red paint I am trying to decide if I should paint the rims red with the chrome baby moon hubcaps or black?

My thanks again to Myron, his pic of his baby moons gave me the confidence to order this set. Thanks Myron!

Scott
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Scott, who did you order them from that you got them mailed so quick??
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
And speaking of red paint I am trying to decide if I should paint the rims [b]red with the chrome baby moon hubcaps or [b]black?
My 1st thought would be [b]RED,
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub_caps.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	29000

But why not [b]BLUE to match your Burro Logo?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
My 1st thought would be [b]RED,
Attachment 29000

But why not [b]BLUE to match your Burro Logo?
Thanks for the pic Fredrick,

I like the red too, blue is out as the burro logo is gone as well, it was missing parts on one side, it will be replaces with a new custom logo in black ontop the new red paint. I decided to paint the whole burro red as I love the custom paint jobs vs. the big white egg. I want to maintain the burro name but feature a more agressive burro.

Scott
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have mine completey stripped down. Nothing left but the shell. I want to get it painted soon.
I shoulda scrolled a little farther up...

One look would be to match the black logo with black wheels, but be kinda dark... If the whole trailer is going to be red, then I'd think doing the wheels in red as well would be monotonous. I have seen a Burro that was painted red and white... wheels with full chrome covers.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
boy, that thing looked good then LOL.

Those were hubcaps from a 70s ilk Chevy sub compact. I can't remember which model. I got them at an old hubcap store out in the desert. They popped right on, no trouble and I paid all of 20 bucks for the pair.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #18

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Will be transfering my old baby moons to the currently-in-drydock '86 Scamp. Painted rims, just this morning, a lovely, delicate, very-very light baby blue. Other half sez I need to demonstrate my feminine side.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Scott, who did you order them from that you got them mailed so quick??

Sorry Bill, I missed your reply. I got them from ebay, ordered friday and arrived monday the guy must have got right on it. The fit and look great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Scott

Tags
burro