Buying a new Tow Vehicle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #29

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...as I appear to be. I don't want to encounter the same fate as him. I am just gonna mark all of you down as "undecided" and we'll call it a draw. ...At least one of you is still shooting arrows at me! Upon further review, I surrender! ��
Maybe it was just Cupid trying to have a discussion and make friends!...

Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Floyd, was the Transit Connect's ride smooth like a car, or closer to that of the Ranger, or somewhere in between?

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 PM   #31

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Floyd, was the Transit Connect's ride smooth like a car, or closer to that of the Ranger, or somewhere in between?
Nothing like the Ranger. My Ranger is set up so that I can run over a dime and tell what year it was.

The ride is much more car like, especially when you consider that most cars are firmer than their ancestors. The seating is firm, almost Racaro like, with good lateral support and good adjustment. Nice fabric too.
I like the short wheelbase much better for handling and ride, but I suspect most folks would prefer the LWB wagon. Even the empty cargo box version is quiet with a solid feel to body and doors.
It corners flat with very little body roll,especially on the short wheel base with an empty box.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #32

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Road test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Nothing like the Ranger. My Ranger is set up so that I can run over a dime and tell what year it was.

The ride is much more car like, especially when you consider that most cars are firmer than their ancestors. The seating is firm, almost Racaro like, with good lateral support and good adjustment. Nice fabric too.
I like the short wheelbase much better for handling and ride, but I suspect most folks would prefer the LWB wagon. Even the empty cargo box version is quiet with a solid feel to body and doors.
It corners flat with very little body roll,especially on the short wheel base with an empty box.
I agree here... we were impressed with the Transit Connect wagon! It handled well... and the feeling of roominess was very obvious. It had plenty of power, cornering was fine... exceleration was good. And in a small vehicle... we looked tiny! LOL We decided not to buy this for a few reasons... One being the two dealers we were talking with, did not have much expertise in it... and both did not fully understand why I was so concerned about the hitch and weight capability for towing. I think it might have done ok with towing our 13 footer... but that was it! NOTHING MORE.
We then test drove the Escape... it looked nice and for the most part drove well and comfy. But, to my surprise I felt the road on my butt more than the Transit!!!! Also we heard the road more in the Escape. Over all... it was too smallish inside and we felt cramped up. So we passed on the Escape as well.

So... we are about to purchase a nice fully capable (4500 pound tow capacity) Jeep Cherokee Latitude. We test drove it last night for a few hours... the V6 had plenty of power and it felt great on the road. Over all this is a nice solid vehicle. I believe we will sign papers tonight! The price of the Cherokee (31K) is under what the Escape was being sold for. One dealership priced the Transit at just under $27K which was a good price.
Thanks to the person who mentioned he bought the Cherokee... made me rethink and go out to test drive one.
Thanks for all your input here, it is greatly appreciated! And.... it helped!
Ralph
Old 09-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #33

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I hadn't looked at Jeeps but I love that they make towing capacity very easy to find on their web page!

On the other hand, I can't view preowned inventory at all- it does the search and then the results are all messed up on my Mac no matter which browser I use.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Thanks Floyd.

Ralph, glad you found something you like. Everybody is different. Good thing they make such a wide variety of vehicles.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #35

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
Alabama
Many of the new vehicles have pretty good tow numbers, but they are based on the "factory Towing Package"
The reason is that many of these are also sold in Europe where they have even higher ratings, but the requirement for stability control and integrations into the car's systems are the law. This includes detecting bad light bulbs as well.
With out trailer lighting scheme the light detection is not possible, but the stability is and if you check the literature on the Escape (Kuga in Europe) the towing package is required for the higher ratings.
It is easy to overlook this and the salesmen are really not up to date either,
Often this package cannot be added by the dealer and does not include the actual hitch.
The salesmen will say that they can add it to the car they want to sell you, but this is generally not correct.
I am looking at a Chrysler 2017 Pacifica to replace my 2103 VW JSW (which tows beautifully by the way, with its Euro stabilization package) due the the TDI recall.
Does anyone have any experience with the new Pacifica?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #36

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Shopping
California
There is also the ford Edge which is about a foot larger than the Escape and tows the same 3500 lbs
Old 09-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #37

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
It was designed to tow a 2000 pound trailer with 200 pounds of tongue weight.
If you want a frame, you would have to eliminate many full sized vehicles such as the full sized Transit van or many years of full sized GM vans and many others. . .
Huh? Full-sized GM vans have always been built body-on-frame. I've had three over the past three decades, until 2014 when we moved to our current Ford Expedition EL (also body-on-frame).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern • WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA • Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #38

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Huh? Full-sized GM vans have always been built body-on-frame. I've had three over the past three decades, until 2014 when we moved to our current Ford Expedition EL (also body-on-frame).

/Mr Lynn
Not so, look again!
They had a three sided sheet metal box welded to the body, not body on frame construction. Not sure about the newer ones.
I had a few myself in fleet, so I spent my time under them, with them on the lift.
Hate to quote them but.... Wikipedia says that they were unibody from 1971 through 1996.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #39

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Not so, look again!
They had a three sided sheet metal box welded to the body, not body on frame construction. Not sure about the newer ones.
I had a few myself in fleet, so I spent my time under them, with them on the lift.
Hate to quote them but.... Wikipedia says that they were unibody from 1971 through 1996.
". . . a three-sided sheet metal box"? Do you mean frame rails with only three sides?

It's been quite a few years since I was under my 1987 GMC Rally STX G2500 van, but I was under it quite a bit, changing oil and the occasional starter moter, etc., and I sure remember a distinct frame. Wikipedia talks about a "unibody style frame," whatever that means.

My 1998 Chevy Express Conversion (by Glaval) certainly had a frame, which sadly a couple of years ago rusted out to the point that I was warned not to drive the truck—thanks to Massachusetts salt. The body and drivetrain were fine, so I was able to sell it for $1,500 to a welder. I have pictures of that frame.

I'll grant you I might have misinterpreted what I was seeing on the '87, but not on the '98.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern • WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA • Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #40

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
". . . a three-sided sheet metal box"? Do you mean frame rails with only three sides?

I'll grant you I might have misinterpreted what I was seeing on the '87, but not on the '98.

/Mr Lynn
No not a frame rail which are commonly not boxed anyway . GM sometimes called it "unitized body".
As I noted above, 1971 through 1996. So your 1998 may have been any form... maybe even "body on frame" construction.

The whole point was to say that "generalities are always false" and that a competent tow vehicle could be "unibody" or a "body on frame" vehicle may not be competent.
Extreme example... what would you tow with an MG TF? Or even a Crosley or a King Midget ?
Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #41

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
I have a 13ft Scamp... it weighs in at just under 2000 pounds loaded.
I tow it with our 2 door Jeep Wrangler which does fine with it. My wife needs a new car and we figure on buying a vehicle that can tow the Scamp as well.
We are looking at two brand new vehicles in particular and would like your input...
2016 Ford Transit Connect Wagon (not the full size van)
and...
2016 Ford Escape
The Transit connect can tow 2,000 with tow package.
The Escape can tow up to 3500 with tow package.
I have not read anywhere about actual towing experiences with the Transit Connect Wagon... Makes me wonder if nobody is actually using it for towing small campers?????
Can anyone give me any real life experiences towing with the Transit Connect Wagon and/or the Escape?
Thanks
Ralphieboy
We bought a 2013 Escape with the 3500# tow package specifically to tow our Parkliner. Parkliners are advertised as towable behind the family's mini-van. Well, not in our case. We're going to buy a full size truck soon to tow it, as my old F150 bit the dust a while back.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
We bought a 2013 Escape with the 3500# tow package specifically to tow our Parkliner. Parkliners are advertised as towable behind the family's mini-van. Well, not in our case. We're going to buy a full size truck soon to tow it, as my old F150 bit the dust a while back.
Do you mean that your Escape did not provide a satisfactory towing experience? If so, care to elaborate? What is the loaded weight of your Parkliner?