Buying a new Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #21

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
We have a 2016 Escape and love it

We took our scamp 16 from Iowa to Glacier National Park in MT and back and never had a problem, we went up through the continental divide and were able to comfortably maintain 40 mph, we could've gone faster but the overheat protection kicked in and made us slow down. The Escape is a very capable hauler with the factory tow package and has a lot of protections built into the vehicle software; if you push it to hard or get into a dangerous engine situation it will let you know.

The only thing we notice is that a head wind does affect our mileage, without wind we see 18 mpg even in the mountains. With wind we've seen 14 mpg both at about 65mph.

I did ask the dealer at time of purchase if we could add a brake controller and and 12v feed without warranty issue, and he said absolutely, he did say if we cut the 4 wire harness it came with that they won't warranty any of the trailer wiring anymore, so we worked around that by getting a 7-blade plug that plugged into the 4 wire harness.
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I am 99% certain that the Transit Connect is built on the global Ford Focus platform. The Transit Connect is perfect for a florist, pizza delivery, or to carry some cleaners supplies in. I can't imagine towing much with a Ford Focus. Not what it was designed for. Good luck.
For what its worth I like the idea of something built on a frame, like most pickups are. Most passenger cars lack frames, and get their strength from thousands (?) of sheet metal welds.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The current Focus platform is well regarded. It is common to build many different vehicles from the same platform with greatly different purposes and capabilities. My previous tug, a 2000 Toyota Sienna, was built on the same platform as a Camry. It was rated to tow up to 3500 pounds, even though the Camry maxed out at 1000 pounds. The Sienna made easy work of a Scamp 13.

It is not correct to say unibody vehicles lack frames. They have integrated frames of high strength steel, precision welded together with the body structure. A well-engineered unibody vehicle is stronger than a body-on-frame vehicle of similar size and weight. It is also stiffer, which gives it better handling characteristics.

My unibody Pilot survived a rear-end hit by a full-sized pick-up that totaled the truck. The main longitudinal frame rails, made of high-strength steel, absorbed the impact. One side was tweaked about a quarter inch, but engineered crumple zones confined the movement to the rearmost 4", so suspension alignment was unaffected. Here's a photo of the frame rails during the repair:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot Frame.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	99789

Those same strong frame members are what pull my trailer.

Body-on-frame has survived in commercial and light truck applications for two reasons: load-carrying capacity (a different engineering challenge than towing) and interchangeability of components (swap a pickup bed for a utility or flatbed unit, change the rear end, ....).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlGone View Post

I just assumed that if you have a tow "package" installed that it would be wired for lights and brakes
You know,like the whole pkg....

]
Actually it is very common for all smallish vehicle tow packages sold regardless of make/brand to only come with 4 pin wiring - which should give you the light connections you need, just not the brake wire or the charge line.

You can have the brake and charge line added along with the seven pin wiring harness added after the fact at any hitch shop. Cost differs from vehicle to vehicle to have those added but expect to pay about $250-300.

It is not common to see the full seven pin connection supplied with a factory tow package until you get up into a large tow vehicles - such as a truck.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #25

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
The escape is also built on the focus platform and it still hauls very well and is very stable.
I will say that I wouldn't tow our scamp without trailer brakes on the escape as the difference in weight is not very large for a loaded scamp 16 (~3500lbs vs ~2000-2500lbs), a scamp 13 is probably a lot different however.
Another plus for the escape is that with the factory tow package they add sway control software to the vehicle so that when it detects sway it will try to counter it automatically... Can't say i've noticed it, but it feels as stable as our 2001 mountaineer towing.
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I am 99% certain that the Transit Connect is built on the global Ford Focus platform. The Transit Connect is perfect for a florist, pizza delivery, or to carry some cleaners supplies in. I can't imagine towing much with a Ford Focus. Not what it was designed for. Good luck.
For what its worth I like the idea of something built on a frame, like most pickups are. Most passenger cars lack frames, and get their strength from thousands (?) of sheet metal welds.
It was designed to tow a 2000 pound trailer with 200 pounds of tongue weight.
If you want a frame, you would have to eliminate many full sized vehicles such as the full sized Transit van or many years of full sized GM vans and many others.
Of course you would have to eliminate nearly all crossovers and small SUVs.
The Transit Connect will prove to be a competent vehicle within its design capabilities and when compared to its peers such as small SUVs and crossovers.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp brochure.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgensen View Post
The escape is also built on the focus platform and it still hauls very well and is very stable.
I will say that I wouldn't tow our scamp without trailer brakes on the escape as the difference in weight is not very large for a loaded scamp 16 (~3500lbs vs ~2000-2500lbs), a scamp 13 is probably a lot different however.
Another plus for the escape is that with the factory tow package they add sway control software to the vehicle so that when it detects sway it will try to counter it automatically... Can't say i've noticed it, but it feels as stable as our 2001 mountaineer towing.
The same sway control software is included in the Connect tow package.
Still unless you just want the van (like me) the Escape could be a better choice for several subjective, non safety related reasons.(properly equipped of course )
Old 09-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
General Custer was about as outnumbered...

...as I appear to be. I don't want to encounter the same fate as him. I am just gonna mark all of you down as "undecided" and we'll call it a draw. ...At least one of you is still shooting arrows at me! Upon further review, I surrender! 👍
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...as I appear to be. I don't want to encounter the same fate as him. I am just gonna mark all of you down as "undecided" and we'll call it a draw. ...At least one of you is still shooting arrows at me! Upon further review, I surrender! ��
Maybe it was just Cupid trying to have a discussion and make friends!...

Old 09-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Floyd, was the Transit Connect's ride smooth like a car, or closer to that of the Ranger, or somewhere in between?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Floyd, was the Transit Connect's ride smooth like a car, or closer to that of the Ranger, or somewhere in between?
Nothing like the Ranger. My Ranger is set up so that I can run over a dime and tell what year it was.

The ride is much more car like, especially when you consider that most cars are firmer than their ancestors. The seating is firm, almost Racaro like, with good lateral support and good adjustment. Nice fabric too.
I like the short wheelbase much better for handling and ride, but I suspect most folks would prefer the LWB wagon. Even the empty cargo box version is quiet with a solid feel to body and doors.
It corners flat with very little body roll,especially on the short wheel base with an empty box.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #32

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Road test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Nothing like the Ranger. My Ranger is set up so that I can run over a dime and tell what year it was.

The ride is much more car like, especially when you consider that most cars are firmer than their ancestors. The seating is firm, almost Racaro like, with good lateral support and good adjustment. Nice fabric too.
I like the short wheelbase much better for handling and ride, but I suspect most folks would prefer the LWB wagon. Even the empty cargo box version is quiet with a solid feel to body and doors.
It corners flat with very little body roll,especially on the short wheel base with an empty box.
I agree here... we were impressed with the Transit Connect wagon! It handled well... and the feeling of roominess was very obvious. It had plenty of power, cornering was fine... exceleration was good. And in a small vehicle... we looked tiny! LOL We decided not to buy this for a few reasons... One being the two dealers we were talking with, did not have much expertise in it... and both did not fully understand why I was so concerned about the hitch and weight capability for towing. I think it might have done ok with towing our 13 footer... but that was it! NOTHING MORE.
We then test drove the Escape... it looked nice and for the most part drove well and comfy. But, to my surprise I felt the road on my butt more than the Transit!!!! Also we heard the road more in the Escape. Over all... it was too smallish inside and we felt cramped up. So we passed on the Escape as well.

So... we are about to purchase a nice fully capable (4500 pound tow capacity) Jeep Cherokee Latitude. We test drove it last night for a few hours... the V6 had plenty of power and it felt great on the road. Over all this is a nice solid vehicle. I believe we will sign papers tonight! The price of the Cherokee (31K) is under what the Escape was being sold for. One dealership priced the Transit at just under $27K which was a good price.
Thanks to the person who mentioned he bought the Cherokee... made me rethink and go out to test drive one.
Thanks for all your input here, it is greatly appreciated! And.... it helped!
Ralph
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #33

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I hadn't looked at Jeeps but I love that they make towing capacity very easy to find on their web page!

On the other hand, I can't view preowned inventory at all- it does the search and then the results are all messed up on my Mac no matter which browser I use.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #34

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Thanks Floyd.

Ralph, glad you found something you like. Everybody is different. Good thing they make such a wide variety of vehicles.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #35

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Many of the new vehicles have pretty good tow numbers, but they are based on the "factory Towing Package"
The reason is that many of these are also sold in Europe where they have even higher ratings, but the requirement for stability control and integrations into the car's systems are the law. This includes detecting bad light bulbs as well.
With out trailer lighting scheme the light detection is not possible, but the stability is and if you check the literature on the Escape (Kuga in Europe) the towing package is required for the higher ratings.
It is easy to overlook this and the salesmen are really not up to date either,
Often this package cannot be added by the dealer and does not include the actual hitch.
The salesmen will say that they can add it to the car they want to sell you, but this is generally not correct.
I am looking at a Chrysler 2017 Pacifica to replace my 2103 VW JSW (which tows beautifully by the way, with its Euro stabilization package) due the the TDI recall.
Does anyone have any experience with the new Pacifica?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #36

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Shopping
California
There is also the ford Edge which is about a foot larger than the Escape and tows the same 3500 lbs
GirlGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #37

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
It was designed to tow a 2000 pound trailer with 200 pounds of tongue weight.
If you want a frame, you would have to eliminate many full sized vehicles such as the full sized Transit van or many years of full sized GM vans and many others. . .
Huh? Full-sized GM vans have always been built body-on-frame. I've had three over the past three decades, until 2014 when we moved to our current Ford Expedition EL (also body-on-frame).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Huh? Full-sized GM vans have always been built body-on-frame. I've had three over the past three decades, until 2014 when we moved to our current Ford Expedition EL (also body-on-frame).

/Mr Lynn
Not so, look again!
They had a three sided sheet metal box welded to the body, not body on frame construction. Not sure about the newer ones.
I had a few myself in fleet, so I spent my time under them, with them on the lift.
Hate to quote them but.... Wikipedia says that they were unibody from 1971 through 1996.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #39

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Not so, look again!
They had a three sided sheet metal box welded to the body, not body on frame construction. Not sure about the newer ones.
I had a few myself in fleet, so I spent my time under them, with them on the lift.
Hate to quote them but.... Wikipedia says that they were unibody from 1971 through 1996.
". . . a three-sided sheet metal box"? Do you mean frame rails with only three sides?

It's been quite a few years since I was under my 1987 GMC Rally STX G2500 van, but I was under it quite a bit, changing oil and the occasional starter moter, etc., and I sure remember a distinct frame. Wikipedia talks about a "unibody style frame," whatever that means.

My 1998 Chevy Express Conversion (by Glaval) certainly had a frame, which sadly a couple of years ago rusted out to the point that I was warned not to drive the truck—thanks to Massachusetts salt. The body and drivetrain were fine, so I was able to sell it for $1,500 to a welder. I have pictures of that frame.

I'll grant you I might have misinterpreted what I was seeing on the '87, but not on the '98.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
". . . a three-sided sheet metal box"? Do you mean frame rails with only three sides?

I'll grant you I might have misinterpreted what I was seeing on the '87, but not on the '98.

/Mr Lynn
No not a frame rail which are commonly not boxed anyway . GM sometimes called it "unitized body".
As I noted above, 1971 through 1996. So your 1998 may have been any form... maybe even "body on frame" construction.

The whole point was to say that "generalities are always false" and that a competent tow vehicle could be "unibody" or a "body on frame" vehicle may not be competent.
Extreme example... what would you tow with an MG TF? Or even a Crosley or a King Midget ?