Buying a new Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
Buying a new Tow Vehicle

I have a 13ft Scamp... it weighs in at just under 2000 pounds loaded.
I tow it with our 2 door Jeep Wrangler which does fine with it. My wife needs a new car and we figure on buying a vehicle that can tow the Scamp as well.
We are looking at two brand new vehicles in particular and would like your input...
2016 Ford Transit Connect Wagon (not the full size van)
and...
2016 Ford Escape
The Transit connect can tow 2,000 with tow package.
The Escape can tow up to 3500 with tow package.
I have not read anywhere about actual towing experiences with the Transit Connect Wagon... Makes me wonder if nobody is actually using it for towing small campers?????
Can anyone give me any real life experiences towing with the Transit Connect Wagon and/or the Escape?
Thanks
Ralphieboy
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One person has mentioned using the Transit Connect to tow a Scamp 13. IIRC, they said it towed fine, but a limited payload capacity meant the van could not carry much when towing at the same time. A pity, because it's a nice-sized vehicle and you can't beat a small van for practicality. My previous tug was a 2000 Toyota Sienna van, which I consider the best vehicle I have ever owned. The new ones have just gotten too big.

If you do a "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the search menu) on "Transit Connect" you can probably find that post.

EDIT: Found it. Here's the post: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rts-75912.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This is almost weird because I have been researching the Transit Connect as my new tow vehicle for some time. I will likely be buying one.
It will likely be the van and not the wagon and will certainly be a shortbox.
It is adequate for towing my Scamp13D. It is pleasant to drive and can be optioned far beyond my needs.
The only caveat is that it is only available with an automatic transmission.
The factory tow package is strongly recommended which includes electronic sway control. I also see the backup camera as a must.
They also offer extra large tow mirrors.
Either engine would do fine. The 1.6L Ecoboost I4 is leading edge and has a few more HP and is optional at a small additional expense over the standard normally aspirated 2.5L I4.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #4

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is almost weird because I have been researching the Transit Connect as my new tow vehicle for some time. I will likely be buying one.
It will likely be the van and not the wagon and will certainly be a shortbox.
It is adequate for towing my Scamp13D. It is pleasant to drive and can be optioned far beyond my needs.
The only caveat is that it is only available with an automatic transmission.
The factory tow package is strongly recommended which includes electronic sway control. I also see the backup camera as a must.
They also offer extra large tow mirrors.
Either engine would do fine. The 1.6L Ecoboost I4 is leading edge and has a few more HP and is optional at a small additional expense over the standard normally aspirated 2.5L I4.
Thanks... I did not know of the larger mirrors.. We will be test driving one tonight. They seem to be very hard to find. My local dealer said there are only a few nearby (100 plus miles). So I assume my options are limited. I have hopes for the shorter version of the passenger wagon. But the longer version is ok if we can't find the shorter.
Thanks for your input on this.
Ralph
Old 09-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
Thanks... I did not know of the larger mirrors.. We will be test driving one tonight. They seem to be very hard to find. My local dealer said there are only a few nearby (100 plus miles). So I assume my options are limited. I have hopes for the shorter version of the passenger wagon. But the longer version is ok if we can't find the shorter.
Thanks for your input on this.
Ralph
The driver's seat on some models has a lever on the side to adjust the height, nice feature, look for it.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Research led me to aJeep Cherokee with a v6 & a tow pkg . I'm well satisfied .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Tow vehicle

Research led me to a Cherokee V6 & tow pkg. l'm well satisfied .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #8

Kentucky
New info

I now find that the tow package for the Connect is smaller than the two inch receiver and is only a class 1 hitch! Might this be problematic???
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I now find that the tow package for the Connect is smaller than the two inch receiver and is only a class 1 hitch! Might this be problematic???
Here is a picture from the Ford site for 2016 Transit Connect...
Still it is rated to tow 2000 pounds.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Registry
Drive them both... I'm betting you'll both like the Escape.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Yup.... especially when you consider that their website also clearly states:

"Includes items that must be installed.* Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see your dealer for a copy) may be voided if you tow without them.
Transit Connect
– For trailers over 1,500 pounds – Class I Trailer Tow Package"

Also indicates the tow package only includes a 4 pin connection.

So I guess you could order & pay for the tow package and then pay to have someone else remove it and replace it with a Class II & upgrade the wiring to a 7 pin so your trailer brakes work but that does not address the warranty issue they have made pretty clear - they are not hiding it in the back of the manual - instead right up front on their web page... that would concern me. ;-)

Might have some explaining to do if the service manager happens to notice you changed the hitch out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup.... especially when you consider that their website also clearly states:

"Includes items that must be installed.* Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see your dealer for a copy) may be voided if you tow without them.
Transit Connect
– For trailers over 1,500 pounds – Class I Trailer Tow Package"

Also indicates the tow package only includes a 4 pin connection.

So I guess you could order & pay for the tow package and then pay to have someone else remove it and replace it with a Class II & upgrade the wiring to a 7 pin so your trailer brakes work but that does not address the warranty issue they have made pretty clear - they are not hiding it in the back of the manual - instead right up front on their web page... that would concern me. ;-)

Might have some explaining to do if the service manager happens to notice you changed the hitch out.
The info I received and the photo from the website shows a 2" receiver.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If you can deal with an older used tow vehicle, check out V6 RAV4s with tow package. I hauled a 3000 lb Escape 17 77,000 miles with a 2010 Sport. They stopped making the V6 in 2013...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
To me Ford Transit Connect is a joke. It is supposed to be a minivan in the Ford product line, but falls short against minivans from other manufacturers.

Edit: OMG, ecoboost 2.0 engine is even not offered to transit connect... If I'd be you, I will look at Escape.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The info I recieved and the photo from the website shows a 2" receiver.
Hummm. Here is where I got the info on the tow package being a Class I hitch
Ford.com Ford Transit Connect towing guide PDF

The above was all I could find on the their website for a towing guide for it ... but just noted it says 2015.... hummmm
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #16

Name: Lee
Trailer: Market
California
Ford Escape as Tow Vehicle

Quote:
I have a 13ft Scamp... it weighs in at just under 2000 pounds loaded.
I tow it with our 2 door Jeep Wrangler which does fine with it. My wife needs a new car and we figure on buying a vehicle that can tow the Scamp as well.
We are looking at two brand new vehicles in particular and would like your input...
2016 Ford Transit Connect Wagon (not the full size van)
and...
2016 Ford Escape
The Transit connect can tow 2,000 with tow package.
The Escape can tow up to 3500 with tow package.
I have not read anywhere about actual towing experiences with the Transit Connect Wagon... Makes me wonder if nobody is actually using it for towing small campers?????
Can anyone give me any real life experiences towing with the Transit Connect Wagon and/or the Escape?
Thanks
Ralphieboy
I own a 2013 Ford Escape with a 2.0 liter EcoBoost engine (turbo charged engine). Brochure says you can tow a 3500 lb. trailer but in most states you must have electric brakes. The 2013 and 2016 both have a trailer towing package (Class II) which does not have the wires for electric brakes or the heavy ground and 12 volt wire to charge the trailer battery. Both my dealer and Ford Motor can not and will not add the wires required and told me that if I had these wires added that it would void my warranty. Without brakes the vehicle is limited to towing up to 1200 lbs.
Evis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Better to buy a used model that's a bit out of warranty, then, and save thousands; then add wires and hitches to heart's content. Fooey on their silly warranty.

To me, the picture of the transit connect's rear end looks more like it has a 1.25" receiver than a 2". That would make sense given the tow limit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evis View Post
Both my dealer and Ford Motor can not and will not add the wires required and told me that if I had these wires added that it would void my warranty. Without brakes the vehicle is limited to towing up to 1200 lbs.
They lied to you!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
To me Ford Transit Connect is a joke. It is supposed to be a minivan in the Ford product line, but falls short against minivans from other manufacturers.
Even Ford says it is not supposed to be a minivan. There is nothing on the market that I think competes with it. We are looking at it as a "sedan delivery". It is sold as either a cargo van or a station wagon. I actually drove a short box van, a long box van and a wagon with third row seating.
I like the short box cargo van. You have never driven a Mini Van that handles like it.
Which one did you drive?
Biggest problem I see is that it only comes with the handicapped transmission (no manual) If it cost an "arm and a leg" I could understand... but it is under 25Gs with everything available that I want on it.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #20

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Shopping
California
There's also a www.fordescape.org/forum/ that may be of some help.

I'm looking @ the 2017 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost to tow a 13' Scamp.(w/brakes)
Now I'm learning here that I will need to take it to be wired...

I just assumed that if you have a tow "package" installed that it would be wired for lights and brakes
You know,like the whole pkg....

(Well the links not working but you can type it into your browser)
Save
Save
Save
GirlGone is offline   Reply With Quote