Buying grease seals online - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Buying grease seals online

Hi folks. I like to grease the bearings on our trailer yearly at the start of the season. In the past I just went to the RV store to pick up seals but this year I thought I would order them on line. What I am finding is a price range from $1.16 to $7.50 for the same seal. The seal I am after is for a Dexter 7" axle ( 010 009 00). Any reason to buy the $7.50 seal over the $1.16 seal? I am leaning toward buying them from etrailer. Anyone used seals from there? Any problems? Thanks Raz

Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I bought them from the manufacture and they were stamped "Made in China" so I would say go ahead and order the least expensive.

They are not high tech to begin with and as long as they fit, have a good rubber seal with the spring inside I would say OK. Let me know where you found the $1.16 and I will order a set for my next change.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Double lip seals

Raz
My Scamp 19 has E-Z lube spindles. Last winter I pulled the hubs to repack the bearings. I got the P/N off old the old seal which is the inside and outside dimensions of the seal and then and went to my local auto parts store and purchased new seals. When unpacking the new seal I discovered they were single lip seals. The seals on the trailer were double lip seals. I tried several other local auto parts stores and they had only single lip seals. I had to get the trailer together for a trip so I installed the single lip seal. By doing this I will not pump grease into the EZ-lube fitting until I replace the seal with a double lip seal. The price difference is probably between a single or double lip seal. If you have a E-Z lube axel make sure you get double lip seals if you want to use the E-Z lube function or you may blow grease into your brake assy.
Eddie
Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I recently ordered a set of grease seals, a wheel bearing, and grease caps from etrailer, got them in less than a week, and shipping was around $5. The total cost was the cheapest I could find online.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
I recently ordered a set of grease seals, a wheel bearing, and grease caps from etrailer, got them in less than a week, and shipping was around $5. The total cost was the cheapest I could find online.
Same here. The speed of their shipping is absolutely amazing; I've ordered from them four or five times and I don't think it's ever taken over four days.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
RVplus has the seal for $1.16, etrailer is $2.49, and Dexter is $7.50. The local parts place is $7.00. Since I like to do it every year I am going to buy several sets so my shipping will be a little more. I really have know idea what the difference is between the seal sold by RVplus and the seal sold by Dexter. But if folks are using etrailer seals and haven't had problems that's most likely where I will get them from. Thanks all, Raz