Buying tires online - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Buying tires online

I'm in the market for new tires on our Trillium. Being in rural Vermont I can't just walk in somewhere and buy them. I can go to a local shop and they will order them. If their supplier (there appears to be only one no matter where you go) has them then it takes up to a week, otherwise it will be longer. The cost is usually list price. The alternative is to buy them online at considerable savings ($40-50) and delivery is about 7-10 days. *Obviously it's winter, so I'm not in a hurry. *Anyone ordered tires online. Problems? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
I've ordered motorcycle, car, and trailer tires online from various dealers. I've ordered trailer tires from;
Trailer Tires & Wheels at Trailer Parts Superstore

How will you mount them? I have my own tire machine. Any online purchase saving may be wiped out by mount and balance fees. Be sure to consider the entire cost.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
I've ordered motorcycle, car, and trailer tires online from various dealers. I've ordered trailer tires from;
Trailer Tires & Wheels at Trailer Parts Superstore

How will you mount them? I have my own tire machine. Any online purchase saving may be wiped out by mount and balance fees. Be sure to consider the entire cost.
You should also confirm with the seller prior to purchasing that you are getting "fresh" tires, rather than something that has been sitting in their warehouse for years.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post

Good point. In the spring lots of places do tire change specials as folks switch to summer tires. I figured I'd take advantage of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
You should also confirm with the seller prior to purchasing that you are getting "fresh" tires, rather than something that has been sitting in their warehouse for years.
Saving a few bucks is nice but I also figured I would get fresher tires from a national dealer with higher turn over than the local warehouse. Perhaps I'm wrong? Raz
Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Do you have anyone living near a Costco that could pick them up for you. They would have a high turn over and I have found their prices to be pretty good.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Do you have anyone living near a Costco that could pick them up for you. They would have a high turn over and I have found their prices to be pretty good.
Nope. The nearest Costco is 60 miles so I'm not a member and don't know anyone who is.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Tire rack.com will ship to a local installer, you can see the local guys install price on the tire rack website. I've used them several times, always good service.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Costco in Calgary told me they don't carry ST tires.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I buy my tires from my local repair shop. He does my state inspections for me, is not too strict, so I feel I have to give him some business. I could no way feel right about asking him to mount tires that I bought somewhere else if he could have got them for me. I do some of my own tire work, but don't have a good balancer, so can only do my off road equipment myself.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
tirerack online for me.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I buy all my tires at Les Schwab so this is a non-issue for me, but if it was:

I'd use my regular mechanic, with the same understanding we have for other work for which we supply the parts: he's allowed a fair markup on the cost thereof. We still save because we do the shopping, but he doesn't lose out on his small piece of the action.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
buying online

We recently bought tires for our Honda Pilot. I found good information at tire rack and their price was good...until I added shipping and then added in the install cost. So I went shopping locally and at a little Podunk tire shop got the best installed price even after paying tax. I suggest you at least try shopping locally. Those local businesses are sorta like neighbors and they need to make a living too.
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I need a spare to match my trailer tires that were put on by my previous owner. here is where I bought it all good experience.
Hercules Power Str Trailer Tire s Only 175 80R13 175 80 13 1758013 80R R13 | eBay
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
+2 for tire rack. Several buys, zero problems.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #15

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I try to buy everything online. B&M stores just cant beat the prices I can get online.
I just had to replace a tire and no one came close to the price I got online. And yes I added the cost of mounting. Remember the B&M stores charge for mounting too. Free shipping is all over the net now a days. If you know the size and brand you want it is only a 10 min search for the best price online! I plan on buying new wheels and tires for our Boler this year so mounting wont be a problem.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Keep your eye out on the sales. You will frequently find tires already mounted on rims for less than the cost of tires alone.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO
Keep your eye out on the sales. You will frequently find tires already mounted on rims for less than the cost of tires alone.
I don't know, Roy. The trailer came with these pretty snazzy alloys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3239100163.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	68090

Actually, I prefer steel wheels as the alloys seem to develop slow leaks over time. I'm after Carlisle Radials. Nobody seems to offer them mounted. The only mounted tires I have found were brands I was not familiar with. But I'm still looking.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Princess Auto sells Carlisle tires already mounted. When on sale, they are quite a good deal.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I don't know what kind of tires you are looking for but I've noticed that Amazon is offering a lot of tires now with free shipping, including many ST tires like the Maxxis M8008. Might be worth a look.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
P Raz.......

Discount Tire sells Carlisle radials....in stores and online. Several years ago I purchased a set of 4 at their store in Albuquerque for our prior stickbuilt.....and just got 2 (with shipping included) for the Casita online last year. Their price...even with local install, was excellent.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires