Camper not really movable in current state - what to do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
That puppy's done went down screaming. Time to start anew. That things been dead for along time. Your lucky you didn't loose the whole shebang. In a way its good you get a whole new suspension wheels and tires all at the same time. order the new axle with brakes. Better to have happen now rather than while your on vacation.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #22

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Ugh, this is getting frustrating. Bigtex (my closest Dexter distributor) basically wants me to have the axle removed and taken to them so they can take a look at it before they will order an axle for me - they are requesting a serial number off of it even though I've made it clear it's 30 years old and made by a company that no longer exists, but apparently the specs I have from scamp aren't good enough for them to order an axle. They are trying to tell me that Dexter is insisting they need this information. I don't believe this to be true at all... I feel like they're giving me the runaround so I'll just give up and leave them alone.

I don't really want to remove the axle yet since as it is now the trailer can still be moved around by hand - without the axle that prospect changes significantly.

I'm probably going to make some calls on Monday to the next closest dexter distributor who is about an hour away. Failing that I'd be happy to drive to Redneck Trailer supply in Arlington if they can get me what I want, but I'd prefer to only make the trip once to pick up the axle.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Will Scamp provide you with the axle part number they would order as a replacement if you took it to them? Part number and specs from Scamp should be enough to order the axle.

There is an advantage to having the trailer or axle at the shop, the shop confirms the measurements and orders the part. If nothing else if THEY get it wrong they eat the cost of the axle. Ordered off of your specifications if it won't fit you have an expensive piece of lawn art.

Just for the record the axle bracket may be welded through bolt holes in the bottom of the U of the bracket. Normally they just cut the arm off then cut through the bracket to get at those buried welds. As you can imagine that means the new axle had better fit.

Took the trailer place an extra couple of hours to grind off those hidden welds without cutting the axle apart so they could preserve the axle in case the new one did not fit. New one was built to their measurements and they ate the extra labor so just saying there can be reason for caution.

The way the Scamp axle tucks into the corner where the dinette riser is means it is a somewhat non-standard bracket. If your axle is leading arm (axle behind tires) then that too is a bit different than the usual installation. Axle get turned around and brake assemblies are swapped from side to side.

I'm pretty sure the 13 ft. Scamp would fit on a 8 x 10 utility trailer, might want some wood under the tires and tongue to spread the weight out. Should be able to pull it up with a pair of come-a-longs. Strap it down well and take it to a shop. Or have it taken there on a flat bed by a wrecker company.

Trick is to pick a good shop to avoid the expense or hassle of transporting more than once because the shop won't do the work after looking over the job or comes up with some reason that your job is going to be way more than they said before it got off the flat bed or trailer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your going through the trouble to get the tag number then you might as well talk to Al-KO they made the axle and they are still in business.

AL-KO
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #25

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
That was my husbands immediate impression. I think if we put the wheel back on (realizing of course that it's a less than optimal solution) that it could probably be loaded on a flatbed trailer and towed somewhere safely.. but I wouldn't directly tow it behind a vehicle of course

Well, I don't there is a concern about damaging anything. Sorry to see your trouble.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #26

Texas
Registry
I added some extra jack stands (for my own security) so I could crawl under the trailer and get eaten alive by bugs and I can't find any kind of ID plate on that axle at all... there's just nothing, unless it happened to be mounted on the face against the dropped floor.

We do have a 8x16 utility trailer, so as long as we can load it up we can transport it wherever, and if that ends up having to be done a couple of times, that's okay with me.

I may call around to a few of the local RV repair places and see if I can get anywhere that way. To be honest at this point I am starting to not care what it might potentially cost, I just want to have a solution in sight.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I ordered my AL-KO axle this year so yes still in business and every bit as reputable as Dexter.

Desperation or frustration does not make for good decisions. I'm betting in central Texas there are a fair number of places that build or repair trailers. Private shops with solid reputations, find one and not only will you have a solutions but probably pretty darn good workmanship and personal service. Anyone can order from Dexter or AL-KO small shops have the same parts books as the "distributors".

Check with equestrian clubs or people that have horses (horse trailers), landscaping places (utility trailers), farmers, even local UHaul or trailer rental. Excavating or electrical line repair companies too. All of these have a regular need for trailer repairs and make trailer purchases so they can tell you who they would use. Place that did excellent work replacing my axle is in a pole barn behind a house and has no sign. Been doing it for 3 generations and have customers from multiple states in all those businesses and organizations I mention.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #28

Texas
Registry
Every place I have called so far has basically given me the "we don't work on RV's" line... I know I can order what I need directly from Dexter (as could anyone else) but them I am stuck paying for shipping. If I can get it through a distributor then I am not out that extra cost.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Flexride is another axle company. Last year I talked to someone that ordered a Dexter axle. He was very satisfied with it but it sounded like there were a lot of specs and dimensions to be submitted in order to get what you need. Various mounting options and suspension angles. Info from someone who has already done the identical trailer would be a big help. Finding a place that will do the swap AND order the axle is best, as long as they do it right. I'm thinking of a Flexride because the arms are adjustable, one less spec I'll need to worry about.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We had our Casita axle replaced at an RV repair shop (insurance claim). Even they were on the third azle before they got it right. As I recall the price was about $1200 for that part of the repair. The big shops do excellent work but don't often work on these little guys, so they were learning as they went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #31

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Sarah, I suspect the repair shop may have a good solid reason for measuring the axle currently on your trailer because there is no way to know if that axle is the one that came with the trailer when it left the factory. It could have been changed years ago. If there were any modifications made after it left Scamp and an incorrect axle is ordered you would be stuck paying for it.

The shops request for measurements might just be because they know exactly what they are doing. The old saying measure twice' cut once could be modified to, measure twice order once. Special order parts are most likely not returnable.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #32

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
You could cart it to Casita in Rice.. They might be willing to work on it

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #33

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
You could cart it to Casita in Rice.. They might be willing to work on it

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Casita is 5 1/2 hours away... not exactly close.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Redneck Trailer Supplies, locations in MULTIPLE locations, is almost a go-to supplier of Dexter axles, have you checked them out in Arlington, TX (don't know how close it is to you!) Redneck Trailer Supplies - Locations Details
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #35

Texas
Registry
It's less of a drive than Casita would be, but still a very long trip... at that point it's almost a wash between driving to get the axle and having one shipped to me.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 AM   #36

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
After reading all these posts Sarah, your axle is way past gone. I'm kind of suprised that after the seller towed it that far to you that the glowing hubs didn't burn it down from being red hot. The axle is to me the second most important item on a trailer just after the tires. You need to bite the bullet and get it to a GOOD repair shop with a great reputation that do axles.
Distance doesn't matter, I'm 70 miles from a large grocery store, so I understand traveling distance. I'm a DIYfer but even after having over 100 vehicles of every type, I wouldn't even think of trying to figure out exactly which axle will work properly for my trailer especially being yours is older.
I've bought a couple cars over the years that bit me big time in repairs.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, it's lifes learning expiriences.
Well, that's my two cents, now it's up to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #37

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The nice thing about getting a new axle is that you can have the trailer raised up a bit if you feel it rides too low. You'll have a better riding trailer, and comfort in the fact that you have a safe suspension system. While the trailer repair place is under there working on the axle, you can have them go over the frame, and also check the hardware that holds the trailer to your frame.
This is just a little bump in the road for you. (a little axle humor here haha). And when all is said and done, you'll still have a great little camper that will continue to hold its value much longer than today's new breed of laminated wall trailers.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #38

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Every place I have called so far has basically given me the "we don't work on RV's" line... I know I can order what I need directly from Dexter (as could anyone else) but them I am stuck paying for shipping. If I can get it through a distributor then I am not out that extra cost.
No need to tell them it's an RV. You only need a shop that is familiar with trailers and torsion axles. What is on top of the frame should make no difference to them.

You are going to pay for shipping, the price may be built in or added on, it just depends on where it is going to. The distributors get a bunch shipped at once.

I went to 1 distributor 4x before I finally got my axle. They would not order until they saw and measured it. Towed my trailer out and they would not crawl underneath, said to just give them the specs and I was responsible if it didn't fit. Second visit, I gave a deposit and provided measurements, had to fight with them not to get a flexride since they assembled them there. 3rd visit to pick up axle, got stuck behind an accident and got there 5 min after closing. Everyone including my axle was there. It was a union shop, need I say more. 4th visit and I finally got my axle.

If you have to measure your own, I put a lot of information together in my axle swap thread. Most get by with doing a straight swap, I chose to overengineer the design.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...arm-37248.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #39

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
You're missing the obvious source for the axle...scamp. I had mine 2-3 days after I called them, and it was right the first time. I would try them first. After that, any half competent welder can throw it on. I wouldn't necessarily trust the old axle for square. Mine wasn't. Granted, I couldn't have told you that before measuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I wouldn't let any "Half Competent Welder" do anything as critical as properly welding an axle in place. It's a simple job to do wrong, it's much more difficult to do right.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote