Can a Minivan Tow a Compact Travel Trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
love2travel

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to the topic of Travel Trailers.

I love to travel and I'd like to see more of the USA.

We are soon going to buy a Honda Odyssey Minivan (probably 2006 model)

How much do most compact fiberglass rv trailers weigh? Do you ride in them while the car is in motion or only when the car is parked?

Looking for an affordable (under $10K), good quality Travel trailer that doesn't give HORRIBLE fuel economy (how does it affect gas mileage)? Thanks!

Allison
Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Allison... Welcome to the forums! You've found the place to get your questions answered! I moved your topic to Problem Solving area for you to get more answers.

The "Search" function on the top bar here will help you find the answers to many, many questions about towing and fiberglass trailers. There's a lot of information available to you on demand here as you learn more about what to ask.

Before you buy your minivan, do your homework. Not all Odysseys are equal when it comes to towing. It is my understanding that the later models are significantly different from earlier ones, and may not be as competent as tow vehicles. Up until the '04(?) models, I believe the Odyessy has a 3500 lb tow rating with the tow package.

Fiberglass RVs weigh from 1000 lbs to 5000 lbs depending on the make, model and how they're loaded. Once again, do your homework to find out what real-world weight numbers are.

Gas mileage depends on a variety of factors, most of which are determined by the tow vehicle, and how the tow vehicle and trailer interact as a single unit. You can expect a decrease of up to 50% towing with some combinations. Recognize, however, that the cost of towing is a function of the number of miles you tow annually. Your real fuel costs will be when you drive your tow vehicle unladen.

My recommendation is to find the trailer you want with the features you want in the price range you're looking for, and THEN find the appropriate vehicle with which to tow it.

Happy hunting!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft

This should answer part of your question. Our 1986 UHaul CT13 weighs about 1500lbs fully loaded and tows like a dream behind our 2004 Mazda minivan (3000lb. tow rated). We've put over 20,000 miles coast to coast on our FGRV, including a lot of mountain driving, with zero problems. In fact, the minivan is superbly convenient for this kind of work!

We bought our UHaul for $3500 and have probably put another $1000 into it with renovations - still pretty affordable, and cheap considering the pleasure we get from it. It sucks up about 5 more mpgs when towed, which still makes us mileage misers compared to almost every other RV on the road.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
There are people out there pulling scamps with the odyses, I have a sienna which has trans cooler etc for the 3500 tow, I am towing a 16 ft Scamp. I did put drag wheels on the hitch to avoid draging on driveways. I have towed it locally but am leaving on a 5000 mile trip Sat. The Odyses has a few more HP but you have add the coolers etc

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to the topic of Travel Trailers.

I love to travel and I'd like to see more of the USA.

We are soon going to buy a Honda Odyssey Minivan (probably 2006 model)

How much do most compact fiberglass rv trailers weigh? Do you ride in them while the car is in motion or only when the car is parked?

Looking for an affordable (under $10K), good quality Travel trailer that doesn't give HORRIBLE fuel economy (how does it affect gas mileage)? Thanks!

Allison
bdiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Oh - and riding in a moving trailer is a definite

Illegal in most states, dangerous in all of them.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Not all Odysseys are equal when it comes to towing. It is my understanding that the later models are significantly different from earlier ones, and may not be as competent as tow vehicles. Up until the '04(?) models, I believe the Odyessy has a 3500 lb tow rating [b]with the tow package.
According to the Trailer Life magazine's 2006 towing guide, the properly equipped Honda Odyssey continues to have a maximum tow rating of [b]3500 pounds. To achieve that rating, INSIST that your tow package includes:
1. class III hitch receiver
2. trailer light plug-in pigtail (installed inside left rear quarter panel)
ending in 4-pin flat plug.
3. trailer accessory 4-pin flat to 7-pin round electrical receptical adapter
4. trailer electric brake controller
5. transmission fluid cooler
6. power steering fluid cooler (Honda insists on this one to maintain warrantee coverage)

My sales associate thought that the towing package only included the [b]first 2 components. I knew better, and assembled the whole package myself, at considerably lower cost.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
"My sales associate thought"
Therein lies the problem... first the term "sales associate"... what ever happened to good ol' "salesman"? With whom do "associates" associate? And secondly... "sales associate" coupled with "thought"... an oxymoron to by sure...

My appologies to all of you in sales... no offense intended... just having fun with a stereotype...

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Roger
Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I'm guessing that the Odys are pretty much the same as far as towing is concerned. Our '99 does very well, but of course in those days a "towing package" really meant something......
Attached Thumbnails
Ody_insigna.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have had two Honda Odysseys.. A 2000 with 210 hsp and 4 speed ... traded up to our 2004 Odyssey with 240 hsp and 5 speed. Big difference in towing. One of the big pluses is the Grade Logic on the 2004. The van is rated to tow 3500 pounds ... we have the Honda towing package and we also use a WDH for towing, because of the front wheel drive Odyssey.

Our trailer is a fiberglass Casita and weighs approx 3200-3300 when fully loaded for a trip. We have towed this trailer since 2001 .... love it.
Attached Thumbnails
898_9890_IMG.JPG  
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...but of course in those days a "towing package" really meant something......
V8 Odyssey: Nicely done Photoshop?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Double-stick tape.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
More info and an article on the Honda Odyssey as a tow vehicle for fiberglasss trailers can be found at this link.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=18785
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
For those of you who tow with Honda Odyssey, make sure you TV is level if you tow a night.

I was recently followed very closely by a handicapped individual in a Honda Odyessy. This person was carrying an electric cart on a hitch mounted platform. The added weight on their rear pointed their headlights so high that even on dim they were blinding me. I let them pass just so I coud see the road ahead.

I only ask you to do this as a courtesy to your fellow travelers.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree with Roger about purchasing the trailer first. It would be sad indeed to find that the vehicle you bought won't tow that absolutely perfect trailer you found. If you're like most, you'll have your trailer for a longer period of time than any one tug. (Okay, that's everybody but Roger, he changes trailers like most change their socks )

If you're new to looking for a trailer, be careful about the current rash of eBay scams. There are still plenty of bargains to be had on eBay, but there is still some vile people out there waiting to take your money and not deliver a trailer. Click this link for more info: PLEASE READ: Referral Ads - Buying Safely, eBay, Craigslist and Other Public Ads

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
he changes trailers like most change their socks

Roger is special.. he has 12 pairs of sock!

Most people only have 7, you know.. one for monday, one for tuesday etc..

but ROGER has 12!!!!!

.. one for january, one for febuary..

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
For those of you who tow with Honda Odyssey, make sure you TV is level if you tow [at] night.

I was recently followed very closely by a handicapped individual in a Honda Odyessy. This person was carrying an electric cart on a hitch mounted platform. The added weight on their rear pointed their headlights so high that even on dim they were blinding me...
This problem certainly isn't unique to the Odyssey, but it is particularly a problem for vehicles which have relatively soft rear suspensions, which includes front-heavy passenger vehicles such as minivans and SUVs. The Sienna has a headlight level control in fancier models, but not in mine; instead, I keep the van nearly level (and thus headlights aimed appropriately) by using air bags in the rear springs so the back end doesn't sag.

For those who like weight-distibuting hitches (WDH), maintaining headlight aim is one benefit of cranking the WDH to force the front axle to carry more load than it would otherwise, and the rear less load.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:

but ROGER has 12!!!!!

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:

but ROGER has 12!!!!!

Hi: Two young boys attending a wedding were over heard discussing how many women a man could marry... Why 16 the one boy said when asked...4 richer 4 poorer 4 sickness 4 health!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie sorry going to my room now
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #19

Quote:

but ROGER has 12!!!!!

OK, Gina... NOW you've done it.. you've gone and opened the proverbial Pandora's box... Go ahead... tell us please... just HOW you know this? My wife would LOVE to know what you were doing in my sock drawer...

Roger
Old 11-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Organizing it!

I have no life, remember?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote