Can Am RV w/d on Jetta diesel sedan. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For reference, our biggest daily expense in Newfoundland is gas, $26 a day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Norm, I paid $1.38/Litre here in Niagara today for Premium. How much is it there on the Rock?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #23

Florida
Regular has varied during our stay from 1.29 to 1.33 a liter. Diesel is a 1/2 cent less. I don't buy premium so I hadn't noticed.

We have absolutely loved Newfoundland, it's people and culture.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #24

Florida
As an aside, it seems vehicle manufacturers have a lot more than small trailer towing to consider...note Jeep recalling a ton of Jeeps for a fire hazard. As some one suggested we are a small part of the equation and maybe unfortunately. I suspect small trailer towing and their drivers are safer than most.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
What's the big deal about towing an Alto??? That trailer weighs less than the Trillium I tow with my old '97 Kia.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Regular has varied during our stay from 1.29 to 1.33 a liter. Diesel is a 1/2 cent less. I don't buy premium so I hadn't noticed.

We have absolutely loved Newfoundland, it's people and culture.
We paid 1.35/L in Kilarney Ontario about 5 years ago for regular.

Yup, one of our good friends here is a Nufy. Really nice folks.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
What do you think the pupose of the tube is? I assumed the purpose was to stiffen the unibody frame.
Yes, to stiffen the unibody... or to strengthen the unibody, or to reduce load at the attachment points, or to stiffen or strengthen the hitch.

The most obvious purpose for a long longitudinal tube such as that described is as a lever to apply the WD system torque: widely separating the forward point where the hitch pulls down on the vehicle and the rearward point where the hitch might actually be pushing up reduces the magnitude of those forces. Transmitting this torque to the vehicle structure with this longitudinal tube also relieves the rest of the hitch structure of this load, reducing any twisting of the lateral structural tube which is typical of hitches.

Can-Am has also reported (in magazine articles) that as they heavily load some commercially available hitches they notice that the lateral structural tube of the hitch bends during use; the longitudinal tube acting in tension would reduce that bending under pulling force, by transferring load to whatever part of the vehicle it is attached. I note that the main structural elements of any common vehicle run along its length down each side, located to connect to the suspension mounting points and bumper mounts; there is relatively little structure suitable for hitch attachment along the centreline, which is why hitches are generally lateral structures connecting the receiver box to the vehicles main structures.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
What's the big deal about towing an Alto??? That trailer weighs less than the Trillium I tow with my old '97 Kia.
The big deal is that is shown being towed by a Pontiac Solstice, which is not based on a small commercial vehicle chassis like your Kia, and is substantially shorter in wheelbase.

Is the Trillium over 1683 pounds empty and dry, like the Alto? I don't think it's 17 feet long, like Alto.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #29

Quote:
In the USA it's rather prominent on the pump 10% ethanol.
I don't know about relative prominence, but it's normally clearly indicated on the pump here, too. Typically it is something like "may contain up to 10% ethanol".
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The big deal is that is shown being towed by a Pontiac Solstice, which is not based on a small commercial vehicle chassis like your Kia, and is substantially shorter in wheelbase.

Is the Trillium over 1683 pounds empty and dry, like the Alto? I don't think it's 17 feet long, like Alto.
Which Solstice???

I was talking about Norm's O.P....tug involved is a 4-cyl diesel. Guess I should've quoted it before...better late than never, right?

Quote:
Two Altos came into the park. The Alto is a fairly large and tall teardrop shaped trailer. The newer one did not have the pop up feature and was more than walk around tall.

The newer rig was towed by a new honda Jetta sedan with the 4 cylinder TDI diesel. He said it towed beautifully snd seemed to get excellent mileage, guessing two thirds of normal highway mileage.

He had a w/d hitch fom Can-Am RV so I took a look. It was welded near the bumber and had a fair sized steel tube running from the back of the hitch towards the front of the car somewhere between 4 or 5 feet in length. I suspect thid provided stiffness for the w/d system. The whole thing looked nicely done
A four cylinder TDI diesel ought to be able to tow that trailer no problem....In my opinion, the only thing worth marveling about in THAT combination is that the guy thought he needed a mucho-spendy "custom setup" to do it.

You go, CanAm Rv!

Francesca
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #31

I agree, the Jetta is not a big deal. The conversation had moved on to the small convertible, which is a different matter.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
A four cylinder TDI diesel ought to be able to tow that trailer no problem....In my opinion, the only thing worth marveling about in THAT combination is that the guy thought he needed a mucho-spendy "custom setup" to do it.
Francesca
Yup sure would have been far more entertaining to hear about what happens after a couple of years of someone towing a 2000lb plus trailer with a car thats only rated for a 1000lbs and has attachment points designed for a class I hitch & 1000lbs only.

Oh wait I am pretty sure we have already had a member here tell that story!

Edit to add: for those who havent been around long enough to recall the story the thread is called Jetta Towing Issues.... caution
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Oh wait I am pretty sure we have already had a member here tell that story!

Edit to add: for those who havent been around long enough to recall the story the thread is called Jetta Towing Issues.... caution

Barry's 2.0L gas powered Jetta is about as similar as my Kia is to the TDI diesel that's the subject of Norm's post. And mine.

Francesca
Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:

Barry's 2.0L gas powered Jetta is about as similar as my Kia is to the TDI diesel that's the subject of Norm's post. And mine.

Francesca
Yup well aware of that and your point? mine was the hitch point failure and nothing to marvel at as you suggest in the owner having put a "mucho-spendy "custom setup"" on it. Its very simple put needed! The Jetta in Norm's post still only has a class I hitch point and a 1000lb tow cap..... just as Barry's Jetta had,
Old 06-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #35
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Vehicles have improved for the better..

This 50 year old ad is interesting. The unibody 190 Mercedes has the same weight and wheel base as the Solstice. It's 1.9L engine has 106 HP. The Solstice has much more power and so much technology working for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes_Convertible.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #36

Florida
4 cylinder towing.

Towing a 16 foot trailer, 2400 lb with 200 lb tongue weight for 6 years averaging 7.5 months per year on the road and 22 mpg. Includes 3 loops of the USA, across Labrador, all over Newfoundland, crossed the Rockies multiple times, more than 50,000 tow miles, driving a nine year old 4 cylinder Honda CRV, 194,000 miles, same clutch, only failure a radiator fan in 9 years ($60).

Hitch mounting as solid as day one.

I know there is opposition but its all worked well, actually very well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
All this about the hitches and tugs... let's hear more details about the Alto! What's the headroom like in the expandable one when the top is down, did you have a chance to see? Did the front hinge look like a potential leak point?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
All this about the hitches and tugs... let's hear more details about the Alto! What's the headroom like in the expandable one when the top is down, did you have a chance to see? Did the front hinge look like a potential leak point?
Mike you dont actually think the Alto was ever intended to be the focus of discussion on this thread do you?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #39

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
As an aside, it seems vehicle manufacturers have a lot more than small trailer towing to consider...note Jeep recalling a ton of Jeeps for a fire hazard. As some one suggested we are a small part of the equation and maybe unfortunately. I suspect small trailer towing and their drivers are safer than most.
Just to start another side channel for the thread to drift into, Jeep first told NHTSA to shove it and published NHTSA's own data regarding the incidence of fire due to the Jeep being rear ended. There were several other popular models with higher incidence, even some with the fuel tank behind the rear axle.

Here's Chrysler's side of the story:
http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Inve...tePaperNew.pdf

A few days later they caved, probably figuring doing a voluntary recall was less expensive than fighting it out in court. The media never tells these kind of stories in sufficient detail to let the reader really know more than a few oversimplified bullet points.

BTW; affects 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty SUVs.

Interesting note to us trailer pullers: The "fix" is to install a trailer hitch! They believe the extra structure of the hitch absorbs enough crash energy to reduce the odds of the fuel tank being punctured.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Mike you dont actually think the Alto was ever intended to be the focus of discussion on this thread do you?
Norm did title the thread "Can Am RV w/d on Jetta diesel sedan."

Mike, I do agree the Alto is an interesting trailer to talk about.