Can I install a new axle myself? Or who does this? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
I'm guessing we need a new torsion axle in my '83 Scamp as the damping seems to be coming from the tires only. If so, how do I go about this? I read several other posts concerning axles, but didn't notice if folks did this themselves or had it done.

If I have it done for me, do I order the axle from Scamp? Or will other places have one? And where is this usually done? (As a sidelight, Scamp offer an axle fitted with 7" brakes. Is this a good upgrade with the replacement or can the brakes be easily added later if needed?)

Thanks!
Bruce and Ann Johnson
johnsoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
If you are a welder, you can probably do it yourself.

I can do and have done a lot of things on my l977 Scamp, but I am not a welder. I ordered my replacement axle through a local heavy duty truck parts distributor. Didn't have to pay shipping...came out less expensive than ordering from Scamp. If you call Scamp with your VIN #, they will tell you the exact measurements that are needed to order the correct axle. I ordered an axle with brake flanges so brakes could be added if I choose to....can't add brakes without flanges. I also ordered a 45* down arm to get the most clearance above the road.

I then went to a local RV place (several were recommended by the truck parts distributor - I called and talked price and ability and chose) to have it put on.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #3

Good ideas, Jackie. Thanks! May I ask about cost? Scamp says $300 installed and $410 with 7"brakes, installed. I'll actually be about 1 hour from Scamp later this summer--but I don't know if they're up and running yet.

Again, thanks,
Bruce Johnson
Old 05-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #4

Bruce -
My axle - including brackets, new hubs and EZ Lube bearings was $203.81
Installation (cut off old welded-on axle - bolt new one) was 195.24
No brakes, just the flanges........ Total $399.05
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #5

Sounds good. Thanks, Jackie!
Old 05-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #6

I think I misread the Scamp site. The axle is $300 and installed it's $475. Then the prices jump to replace a hub with brakes.

SO, I'm definitely looking at trying this myself--well, sort of, my son can weld.

Thanks!
Bruce
Old 05-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
my ?? is what is there to weld mine is all bolt together on my amerigo 45 min and i was done..un bolt shackles both sides drop axle jack new axle up line it up install new plate and shackles all done nothing to weld...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
John, have you checked out any utility/ cargo/ horse trailer builders?....they may get the axle and install for you.....This is if you wish someone else to do it....call around different shops ......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Dan Quinn Posted Today, 07:00 PM
my ?? is what is there to weld mine is all bolt together on my amerigo 45 min and i was done..un bolt shackles both sides drop axle jack new axle up line it up install new plate and shackles all done nothing to weld...
Dan

My original axle was actually welded on to the trailer, so it had to be cut off. Then, the new brackets to bolt it on to had to be welded on to the trailer.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I replaced my axle inorder to put the high lift axle on my new Casita back in 2001. The axles then cost $350 with brakes and EZ lube hubs.

I had to cut off the old one and weld on the new one.

Now they make the torsion axles so they bolt on.

FYI, for those that have standard leaf spring axle set ups, the Scamp and Casita use a rubber torsion axle that is quite different.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #11

Should I weld on a new axle or are all replacements bolt-on?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Should I weld on a new axle or are all replacements bolt-on?
Since your trailer is an oldy but goody, the original was more than likely welded on and will need to be cut off. However, you can weld on the brackets, then bolt on the new axle.

I replaced the original Al-Ko axle on my Scamp two summers ago. Went with a Dexter. Check out the information from the Helpful-Links page: Axles & Running Gear.

Although yours is a 13 footer, if you're getting a new axle..consider putting brakes on
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Although yours is a 13 footer, if you're getting a new axle..consider putting brakes on
I'll second that.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I'll third that.

We replaced our axle ourselves. It was very easy, the old one was bolted in. It took maybe an hour to do. The brakes took awhile to get broke in but they worked very well on the Cambria trip.

Tags
axle