Car tires for a Scamp....??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #29

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
P.S. We use the recommended tire pressure on the inside of closet door while towing not tire max listed on sidewall, over inflation will lower tire life.

(My wife worked in the office for Goodyear when in doubt I ask the expert)

Quote from tire manufacturer
Disadvantages of Underinflation
An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle’s tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could lead to tire failure. Additionally, the tire’s tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to deflect (bend) more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. You would experience a significant loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn’t seem excessively low, remember, it usually represents about 20% of the tire’s recommended pressure.

Disadvantages of Overinflation
An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher.

The pressure must be checked with a quality air gauge as the inflation pressure cannot be accurately estimated through visual inspection.

A little extra pressure maybe needed with extra load though

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
P.S. We use the recommended tire pressure on the inside of closet door while towing not tire max listed on sidewall, over inflation will lower tire life.
Seriously??? I am going to suggest that perhaps the tires on a 1978 boler have been changed more than once -as has the technology used to make them or if they are the same tires I would highly recommend that you change them!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #31

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Seriously??? I am going to suggest that perhaps the tires on a 1978 boler have been changed more than once -as has the technology used to make them or if they are the same tires I would highly recommend that you change them!
My '76 Scamp had the factory tires on it when I picked it up in April.

They had the date cast on the sidewalls.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
.They had the date cast on the sidewalls.
Determining Age of Tires
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #33

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
My '76 Scamp had the factory tires on it when I picked it up in April.

They had the date cast on the sidewalls.
Prior quote:
"They did say all tires have a stale date of 5 years though generally over looked, this is even more important in special duty tires like snow tires"

Not surprised, before we purchased out trailer its tires were very old, and had cracks all through the side walls and lots of tread. Unfortunately the prior owner made a purchase of car tires as replacement told came even with a new spare but they were all car tires. We replaced them with new trailer tires. Will not worry about over age as long as they inspect well I too may go over the 5 years.

But 25 years old can only say wow!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #34

Wisconsin
Quote:
Prior quote:

You mean 35?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #35

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Prior quote:
"They did say all tires have a stale date of 5 years though generally over looked, this is even more important in special duty tires like snow tires"

Not surprised, before we purchased out trailer its tires were very old, and had cracks all through the side walls and lots of tread. Unfortunately the prior owner made a purchase of car tires as replacement told came even with a new spare but they were all car tires. We replaced them with new trailer tires. Will not worry about over age as long as they inspect well I too may go over the 5 years.

Tire pressure listed on 25 year old trailer are out of date. Contact tire manufactures and they'll tell you the warranty is only good if the tire is cold inflated to the pressure embossed on the sidewall.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #36

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Tire pressure listed on 25 year old trailer are out of date. Contact tire manufactures and they'll tell you the warranty is only good if the tire is cold inflated to the pressure embossed on the sidewall.
I generally go half way between the listed pressure on the tire and the pressure on the vehicle if the tires are not OEM or extremely similar.

The suspension is set for a specific tire pressure. The tire's sidewall compresses as a part of the suspension. Certain auto companies may void the warranty on a vehicle with oversize wheels and super low profile tires.
I had a fun exchange with a customer about that. They were complaining about their SUV's ride quality after having installed 23" wheels.

trailers are not fun to pull.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #37

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
I run passenger tires and haven't had any problems... I just make sure they are load rated for more than my 13' weighs and never underinflated. (run them close to the max listed on the sidewall) I inspect them before, during, and after every trip. (and if the truth was known, they are ususally take offs from either my wife's car or some other car-- pre-tested that way, ya know) Larry
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #38

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 73,75,78 13' Boler 78 17' Boler
Alberta
I've had both ST & P tires on my trailers. Now I only have ST tires on trailers that I want to keep. Another thing I've been told is that its required by the D.O.T. that trailers have ST tires. You may want to check with dot regs for where you are traveling.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #39

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I've had both ST & P tires on my trailers. Now I only have ST tires on trailers that I want to keep. Another thing I've been told is that its required by the D.O.T. that trailers have ST tires. You may want to check with dot regs for where you are traveling.
So, who told you that?....
Was it her again??...
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #40

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So, who told you that?....
Was it her again??...
Floyd, Jeff is in Alberta. Perhaps DOT regs for tires are different there than where you live? So far, I've not found any rules/laws that are universal except for the need to use common sense and there are lots of people who don't know how to apply that....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #41

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Floyd, Jeff is in Alberta. Perhaps DOT regs for tires are different there than where you live? So far, I've not found any rules/laws that are universal except for the need to use common sense and there are lots of people who don't know how to apply that....
Great point! I am sometimes amazed at how heavy this site is on Canadian and west coast members. Both areas can be harbingers of things to come beyond our wildest midwestern imaginations or fears.
The photo is of Illinois Transportation Secretary Ann L. Schneider.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #42

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Tire stores and tow outfits will refuse to install tires beyond the "safe" number of years after manufacture date stamped on tire. That includes the spare that may have been sitting on the back of our FGRV for a lot of years.

Had that brought to my attention with the full sized spare for my car. Checked around and here in Mich. it was universal, for liability reasons I was told.

Tags
scamp, tires