Carrying a Bicycle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Carrying a Bicycle

Has anyone found a creative way to carry a bicycle on the hitch/tongue of the Casita 17' RV? My old bike rack doesn't fit the new tow vehicle. I know you can't mount anything to the back of the RV. Just looking for an idea or two. Thanks in advance! Sherri
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Etrailer sells a tongue mounted bike rack.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Moto...on/CC-275.html

But while on the subject who says you can't mount bike racks to the backs of trailers? Just because people say you can't do it might just mean they have never seen it done right or that their head is locked up into thinking that trailer hitch mounting or ladder biker racks are the only solution.

Fiamma in Europe does it. Here is a Fiamma rack that was designed specifically for mounting under the rear window on trailers.
Fiamma Carry-Bike Caravan Hobby Bike Rack

Airstream adapted the Fiamma rack for their trailers. This Carry Bike rack is not widely distributed in the USA but Fiamma does have a USA division headquarters based out of Florida and can advise on how to get the rack. They also have an A frame tongue mount version of it.

As part of my Sunrader renovation I put 5/8" thick quality grade Okume Marine plywood against the back wall below the window so I could specifically bolt bike or luggage racks to it.

There are a numerous styles of bike racks that strap onto the back doors of SUVs and mini vans that could be adapted for this type of use. Trunk mount racks are quite common and can be adapted to wall mounting.

It all depends on how you approach it but you will need some blocking on the interior to bolt into. No doubt you will need to fabricate or adapt mounting brackets as well. A high strength aluminum tube rack that is properly engineered like the Fiamma is a good choice for weight savings as is a lightweight bicycle frame.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
After a lot of searching online I found the Arvika (Canadian company) tongue mount bike rack. It's pricey so I haven't purchased it yet but it will probably be the one. I found this real life review very helpful. Arvika Bike Rack Review | Travels Trails & Sails ™
We did one trip (1000 miles) with our 2 bikes on a rear bumper mount...never again! For the first time ever we experienced sway problems and our bikes got thrashed by all the bouncing around.
Good luck with your search.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have seen one of the Arvika racks on a trailer, but not a Casita. Looks good. Perhaps another option is to adapt a rack on to the "over the propane tank" rack that Orbital Machine makes. Check with them on that. They also sell a hitch receiver for the rear of Casitas that you could mount a bike rack on. Note that most bike racks are not rated for use on the rear of a trailer. Swagman does make one. I have carried two bikes on a rack on the rear of our Uhaul successfully, but that was after having a previous rack bend.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Casita 17 has a fairly high tongue weight, so mounting one bike on the back should not create any towing stability issues. Orbital machine works makes a bolt-on receiver for your Casita. Kuat bike racks are very well made. One member used a Kuat Beta on the back of a Scamp 16 without issues.

On the other hand, a tongue mount won't bounce around as much and you can keep an eye on the bike. It typically involves custom metal fabrication. You'll want it high and close to the shell to minimize turning interference. I would start with a tray mount from a roof mount system and take it to a good metal fabrication shop and see what they come up with. Make sure your vehicle can handle the additional tongue weight from mount, rack and bicycle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherritini View Post
Has anyone found a creative way to carry a bicycle on the hitch/tongue of the Casita 17' RV? My old bike rack doesn't fit the new tow vehicle. I know you can't mount anything to the back of the RV. Just looking for an idea or two. Thanks in advance! Sherri
Sherri,

Here's an idea or three.

Bicycle Racks At The Front And Other Ideas - Orbital Machine Works - The Casita Club Forums

"Several people including Jim Bedgood have asked about being able to carry bicycles in front of a Casita. He also asked what the possibility was of placing them above a carrier in the rear."

I don't think they ultimately followed through with any products for carrying a bike on the front.

As mentioned by others, Orbital Machine Works markets a bolt-on hitch receiver you can use to carry a bike rack or whatnot on the rear of a Casita. (It does requires some substantial drilling, so it's not "just" a bolt-on.)

A welded front-frame extension is mentioned in the above-linked thread. I think there is also someone on this forum that has what they refer to as an 18' Casita.

And, yes, there's a lot of information on this forum regarding the effects of placing weight too far back, including this recent thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...way-76462.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
depending on your TV.....

this is the solution I just purchased.....lots and lots of fun....and fits in the back of my Nitro...folded up, standing on it's wheels and tied to one side of cargo area...weighs 40 lbs

I call it my "geezer scooter" on two wheels....goes like stink
Attached Thumbnails
porta5.jpg   porta6.jpg  

porta7.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Casita 17 has a fairly high tongue weight, so mounting one bike on the back should not create any towing stability issues. Orbital machine works makes a bolt-on receiver for your Casita. Kuat bike racks are very well made. One member used a Kuat Beta on the back of a Scamp 16 without issues.
That was me and was very happy with the light weight Kuat Beta rack - weighs 11lbs - was far more stable than a much heavier and expensive Thule rack I had.

Was also very happy with the specially designed for Scamp bike receiver Orbital supplied me with as well. Well made and designed to attach in all the right spots on the underside of the Scamp for safety. They make one especially designed for the Casita as well. As they are designed for those specific trailers the receiver ends up mounted nice and close in - right under the rear bumper of the trailer and does not stick way out.

Should note I NEVER carried heavy mountain bikes on the back of the Scamp - always light in weight road bikes and or cross overs - with lots of carbon fiber to keep the weight of the bikes down.

I currently also have the specially designed for Airstream Fiamma. It was a lot more costly than the 2 bike Kuat Beta I have though. About 3 times as costly as is everything with Airstreams name on it! LOL Again The Fiamma was made specially for Airstream and attaches at all the right spots for safety and it fits up very close to the back to the trailer - in fact two of the main attachment points are right on the back rear wall of the trailer well above the bumper - the other mounting points are right on the dumper itself. Its also designed so two bikes fit very snuggly together tight into the back of the trailer. Not much hanging way out at the back &/or wiggling around out from the back end of the trailer which is where issues can and will start.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherritini View Post
I didn't know that I "can't mount anything to the back of the RV" and travelled tenths thousands miles with a bicycle attached to the factory hitch on the back of my Scamp... That's why I ordered the hitch first of all...
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I didn't know that I "can't mount anything to the back of the RV" and travelled tenths thousands miles with a bicycle attached to the factory hitch on the back of my Scamp... That's why I ordered the hitch first of all...
I believe the key is to make sure what ever you put at the rear does not wiggle around, does not have a large overhang and is secured well to the trailer - not attach some inexpensive rack to the bumper or spare tire of a Scamp or Casita that are not designed to take weight.

Also the further back you have added weight you need to counter balance that by adding some weight back ahead of the axle of the trailer. That can be a challenge on some of the small trailers with fairly light tongue weights due to lack of storage up front on the trailer. I know on my Scamp 16' which was a side bath model I had to carry a large bin of camping gear (electrical cords, hoses, tire blocks etc) as well as my propane fire pit inside the trailer, so I could move them around on the floor of the trailer to compensate for times when I had added weight to very rear of the trailer - had to do it not only when traveling with bikes on the back but also anytime I had a full water tank. That system worked well for me for thousands of miles of travel also.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #11

Name: Jason
Trailer: BigFoot
British Columbia
We used to put 4 bikes on a hitch mounted bike rack at the back of my Bigfoot 17. Really bad idea as I was swaying like a drunken sailors on shore leave when hitting 60mph.

We suspect the reason was not enough tongue weight, as the fresh water tank is also behind the single axle. I calculated that i have at least 400lbs of weight behind the axle.

We have since changed the way we load, and put the bikes in the truck bed instead, which helped.
JasonCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
We had a Casita 17SD. I had a 15" 225/75-15 spare on the rear, along with the 25 gallon fresh water full, and an Orbital Machine Works receiver, yakima steel 4 bike rack, and 2 aluminum bikes. No added tounge weight. We traveled 1000 miles and not one bit of sway at all. We were pulling with a Silverado, with WDH and sway control.

On our new EggCamper, ive given this a lot of thought. Im leaning towards another rear receiver and bike rack if i can get Oribtal to fab one for the Egg. But im also most likely going to install a sway control. My spare is up front and will stay fwd of axle. I plan to use 2 batteries on the tounge vs the single i have now.

I dont necessarily believe the one size fits all rule of thumb on no bikes on back, or no lift kits. You just have to "do it right".
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: BigFoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
I dont necessarily believe the one size fits all rule of thumb on no bikes on back, or no lift kits. You just have to "do it right".
Totally agree, everyone needs to find something that work for them. Unfortunately, there is no way to know for certain without experimentation.

Btw, we tow with a v6 Tacoma. A full size truck might be better in minimizing the sway.
JasonCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #14

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCM View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to know for certain without experimentation.
I agree Jason. Experimentation is required. Our Casita setup was not smart, it was what we inhetited and we added the bikes and it still worked! I would have guessed it would sway but it didn't.

Fingeres crossed on the eggcamper mods. I really want the bikes on the back for convenience of storage while camping. Im hoping some up front weight and added quality sway control keeps her steady!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here are a couple of iterations of my tongue mounted hitch...
Mine has worked well for over a decade.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   IMG_7915.jpg 1.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCM View Post
Btw, we tow with a v6 Tacoma. A full size truck might be better in minimizing the sway.
spoken like a true "Its got a be a truck" to fix the sway issue guy!

Personal experience suggests something very different! Especially when talking about pulling light trailers with a small light weight mid size trucks such as a Tacoma or Frontier! VBEG

One of the best tow vehicles for a nice solid tow no matter what the weather conditions where - high winds, snow, pouring rain you name it, was a smallish cross over vehicle.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
British Columbia
Heres a link to the Casita forum post on the Arvika and someone who has one.
Bicycle Carrier - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums
Spencer doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
did u install anti sway system on the trailer hook up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglyons View Post
After a lot of searching online I found the Arvika (Canadian company) tongue mount bike rack. It's pricey so I haven't purchased it yet but it will probably be the one. I found this real life review very helpful. Arvika Bike Rack Review | Travels Trails & Sails ™
We did one trip (1000 miles) with our 2 bikes on a rear bumper mount...never again! For the first time ever we experienced sway problems and our bikes got thrashed by all the bouncing around.
Good luck with your search.
Because if u did then u should not of had a problem.
also I have seen many trailers going down the road with bikes attached and not only bikes some with motor cycles but they have done it right from the start and made it all legal by not blocking the license plate. I have also seen bike racks installed on front of vehicles as they have installed trailer hitch and done it that way, it is what ever works of you.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #19

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Stromberg-Carlson makes a rack that mounts on the tongue above the propane tanks and I believe it can hold 2 bikes. I use their generator stand on my Casita 17' with a Honda EU3000 generator. Total front add-on weight is 69 + 134 lbs. To offset this weight in back, I carry a cargo rack with box (106 lbs) OR bike rack with 2 34 lb bikes (105 lbs) mounted on an Orbital Machine works hitch.
Rides like a dream. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER carry both in the back at the same time!!! Talk about swaying like a drunken sailor!!!!!!!!!!
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:05 AM   #20

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
bike rack verses Pick up truck for TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellduh326 View Post
Stromberg-Carlson makes a rack that mounts on the tongue above the propane tanks and I believe it can hold 2 bikes. I use their generator stand on my Casita 17' with a Honda EU3000 generator. Total front add-on weight is 69 + 134 lbs. To offset this weight in back, I carry a cargo rack with box (106 lbs) OR bike rack with 2 34 lb bikes (105 lbs) mounted on an Orbital Machine works hitch.
Rides like a dream. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER carry both in the back at the same time!!! Talk about swaying like a drunken sailor!!!!!!!!!!
:
I guess if one does not want to attach a bike to the trailer in any way would it not just be a better way to have Pickup truck for a TV and put the bikes in the back of it?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote