Old 03-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Ian, thanks, I will take a look at Tomos & PGI Moto. If you search CT 70 clone, or Honda Trail 70 clone (aka Mini Trail), you will find China is producing quite a few close imitations. I don't know about their quality, but I think some are offered in California. Their smaller frames are better suited for kids or circus clowns. ...Not a good first impression at the campground.
I'll take a look at the Honda clones. The Tomos is make in Slovenia, and they have been making the same basic design since 1954 (with ongoing improvements). The company has an interesting history you can see some of it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomos

What I find cool is the Tomos often gets more looks and comments than by boler does.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter-ing as I shop
Denver, CO
I am not 100% sure about availability of Tomos. Appears there is some, still checking.

I was also intrigued by the Sym Symba a 101 or 110cc motorxycle with a 4 speed. Appears they are discontinued. But worth a search.

But Sym does offer the Wolf Classic 150. It is a classic look 1 cylinder 5 speed that in theory goes 65 mph. When I was young and dumb, I might have tested that. Unfortunately, $2,995. 266lbs dry.
2018 SYM Wolf Classic 150 Reviews, Prices, and Specs

Tom 72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
PGI does have a website, but when I click on the listed dealers, they do not have the Tomos listed on their individual websites. I checked Amazon. It has TaoTao scooters but not Tomos. I also checked San Francisco and LA, same thing, nothing listed.

Seemed like a real possibility for a couple of minutes.

I sent an email to Pete at PGI Moto asking how to purchase a Tomos.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

Tennessee
Years ago I road motorcycles. My first bike was a Bridgestone step through. At least I think it was a Bridgestone, green and had a pale yellow leg shield. Not worth much, soon sold it for a real MC and never looked back. Never had a scooter, never even rode one.

The Tomos moped is interesting. So is the Honda Ruckus scooter. Both seem to weight about the same.

Can anyone compare and contrast a scooter vs moped?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #19

Tennessee
IanG
I just reread your comment and realized you have a Tomos. May I ask where you bought it and please note the website if they have one.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
IanG
I just reread your comment and realized you have a Tomos. May I ask where you bought it and please note the website if they have one.
Thanks
I bought it used through the local classifieds, it is a 2008 and only had 1200 km (745 miles) on it. I paid a staggering $500. and no it was not stolen, got all the papers and files on it

These are getting more popular but you can find them used
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #21

Tennessee
I sent an email to the fellow listed on the PGI Moto website. This is his response:

Some of our dealers have not gotten around to listing on their sites.

We do not plan on listing TOMOS products for sale online. We prefer a brick and mortar shop.

This being said, we are still growing and have not had a chance to branch into all markets. So, at this time we are offering pre-assembled mopeds shipped to areas where we do not have dealers yet. We have authorized our local TOMOS dealer, Second Stroke Mopeds, to perform the assembly and we ship them out.

If you are interested, let me know and I will forward you to a sales rep.

Thanks for contacting us!

Peter D'Addeo
President
PGI Moto
(718) 779-6686
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #22

Denver, CO
I believe a true moped has bicycle pedals in addition to an engine, usually 49cc.

Scooters, usually have smaller tires than a motorcycle, and no pedals. But Honda's CT70 Mini Trail, discussed above has smaller tires. I think it is a motorcycle, maybe not. Many scooters are 49cc, and have no gear box. Mopeds and scooters under 50cc do not require license plates or a motorcycle endorsement in many jursdictions. If the nameplate says, Vespa, Piagio, or Geely, it is a scooter. The first two are Italian, the last is Chinese, I think. Geely acquired Volvo automobiles.

Scooters like those three are distinguished by frame design and engine placement. Generally, you swing your leg over the seat on a motorcycle. But in many scooters you step through. Many of most scooters have a floorboard, and splash guard in front to protect your legs. Women can ride scooters modestly in a dress. But men ride scooters too. Riding these scooters is more like sitting in a chair. Scooters may be best suited for urban riding.

Motorcycles often have larger wheels & tires which I think work better on rural roads. Motorcycle engines are mounted in the frame, midway between front and rear wheels. A chain or driveline transmits power to the wheel. Most scooter engines are mounted at the rear wheel, so no driveline, and a lower center of gravity for easier balance & control.

Motorcycles usually have manual transmissions. Scooters usually have no gears, or have some sort of variable ratio belt drive.

There is a big business in trying to sneak scooters with larger engines under the 50cc regulations. Mostly this is through modifications. Some scooters have 150, 250ccs, or more.

One reason I am exploring electric bikes, is that they are not prohibited on bike trails, and other off-road routes that ban motorized cycles. I like that Radpowerbikes.com offers a good price point by selling direct. But there are many others in Amazon, YouTube, and the web. Half the names will disappear in ten years. Enjoy.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #23

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Honda CT 70 on Ebay

I tried to post a pic. of the CT 70
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
I have had many plow trucks and have always ordered them with the "plow Package". It gave me several options that are need like bigger alternator, a different wiring package but most of all more leaf springs to support the additional weight of the plow. Perhaps a visit to a specialty shop, like I use to frequent, that can make and add extra springs or in your case check to see if yours should be beefed up for the load. New springs/shocks? Think about it if your 200 pound mechanic stepped on the bumper it wouldn't go down much. Tie him on and go for a ride and see how it handles...NA don't do that.

I thought an early '60s Ford Econoline ramp side would make a nice tow truck just for this reason. Paint to match...would be fun.

Rick W
Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #25

Denver, CO
For reference, a Honda CT 70, or Mini Trail. This bike is widely cloned in China. For some reason the Trail 90 hasn't been copied. Seems to me someone could sell thousands. Oh well, I can ride on most bike trails with an eBike, but with a Trail 90, I can't. eBikes are also much lighter to lift & load.
Attached Thumbnails
1972_honda_ct70_h__4_speed_1_lgw.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #26

Name: karen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Nevada
Thank you for the addy for the RAD e-bike.....Very interesting....Enjoying this thread.
artsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
the chinese scooters and small motorcycles have notoriously unreliable engines and generally poor machining and metalurgy. but they are cheap.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #28

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Interested in hearing from anyone that carries a motorcycle on a front hitch. I have a '17 Chevy Tahoe. The bike would weigh around 300 lbs. From what I understand, the receiver type hitch make for our Casita is not rated for carrying much weight due to the frame on the Casita. I have seen them on the front of class c motorhomes and pickups but not a Tahoe. Not sure how much the weight the front of the Tahoe can carry. Chevy dealership was no help. I guess they are afraid of the liability.
hy not install a tow hitch to the front end then make or buy a rig that the bike can roll up on and sit on or into. That way it does not affect the towing weight problems.
Stude

stude is offline   Reply With Quote