Carrying a Motorcycle on Front Hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Carrying a Motorcycle on Front Hitch

Interested in hearing from anyone that carries a motorcycle on a front hitch. I have a '17 Chevy Tahoe. The bike would weigh around 300 lbs. From what I understand, the receiver type hitch make for our Casita is not rated for carrying much weight due to the frame on the Casita. I have seen them on the front of class c motorhomes and pickups but not a Tahoe. Not sure how much the weight the front of the Tahoe can carry. Chevy dealership was no help. I guess they are afraid of the liability.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Ask these people.
https://www.etrailer.com/customer-service.aspx
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Dick, you might get some info from an off road M/C dealer for that type of mount and truck ratings. You do see front mounts on many full size trucks with ladder frames.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #4

Texas
Great idea. I will do some checking around. I doubt if I find many doing it here in the big city. May need to ask around in areas where motorcycles and 4 wheels are abundant. I used to have a Duramax pickup and had a front hitch on it. Worked well but am not sure about the Tahoe because it is a half ton unlike the three quarter of the Duramax.

On a side note, one of my friends I used to ride 4 wheelers with has a brother in Borrego. Don't know his first name because he always just called him Bud. His last name is Leedy.

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

Texas
Darwin, your idea may be a good place to check also. They may have had some experience with some of their customers wanting to carry motorcycles.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Other than blocking headlights, turn signals, and front licence plate you will have to deal with load capacity for the SUV. Then should you hit something you may have to deal with blocked vision issues with the PD. If you can resolve those issues its far better than hanging it on the back of the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hi Dick
I carry a Tomos moped on a front hitch mounted carrier, it does weigh less than your bike at about 100 lbs but it works great. No problems with lights, signals, cooling or visibility, but the bike does get splattered with lots of insects.

Plan this summer to attend the boler 50th Anniversary Event.
All moulded fibreglass welcome,
This is a once in a lifetime event, more information and tickets available at www.MyBoler.com
Attached Thumbnails
P1080475.jpg  
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
look at the load capacity of the front hitch you're considering... the one I saw for a ford truck was rated for 600 lbs. then weigh your trucks front axle, with your passengers and typical payload, and subtract this with the front axle GWR... ifigure the bike weight is out in front of the front axle, so about double it will be on the axle due to leverage.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
When I was looking for a truck and "built" a truck on the Chevy website, there was a snow plow option. I wonder if the suspension parts for that truck might not fit on your Tahoe.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Most of the parties involved have a conflict. They either want to sell you a motorcycle, a hitch, or something. It doesn't mean it can't work, it probably means you should check their answers.

I have long wished they still sold Honda Trail 90s new (pic below). They are excellent secondary transportation at your destination, and many here want something less than a towed car. They hold their value better than Scamps! I have just begun educating myself about the advances in electric bicycles. I am impressed by Radpowerbikes.com from Seattle, but Amazon & Youtube have a lot of information. I offer it not to persuade you, but to help others deal with destination transportation. Some electric bikes can go 20-30 miles with no pedalling at 20-30 mph. Range doubles if you pedal.

Here is an excellent video that while not addressing front hitches, does address the math of vehicle loads, including GVWR, GCVWR, Payload, and more.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda ct90 pictures and wallpapers 3.jpg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #11

Texas
Tom 72 - I recently made a deal for 2 of the Honda Trail 90s. When I went to pick them up, they guy said his wife didn't want to get rid of them so I went home empty handed. They were very nice bikes and I was drooling over them. They had them since new.

I did find out that for a front hitch with a 500 lb. tongue rating, it will supposedly support 350 lbs. So mine would be marginal.

Here is a couple of links to a couple of alternatives. I wonder if a Casita might support the tongue weight of one of these with a receiver hitch?

The ultimate single wheel trailer system.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #12

Tennessee
Only thing I can find similar to the trail 90 is the Honda Ruckus, which is more of a scooter. 194 lbs. 49cc Honda engine. If they can make this why not something like the trail 90 or the 110.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Only thing I can find similar to the trail 90 is the Honda Ruckus, which is more of a scooter. 194 lbs. 49cc Honda engine. If they can make this why not something like the trail 90 or the 110.
The Honda Trail 90 is an awesome bike, just very hard to find these days.

The 49cc Tomos I have is available again in the USA. The larger wheels make them ideal for around campgrounds, I have added knobby tire to mine which is the Sprint model, advertised dry weight of the newer models is 143 lbs, earlier versions are lighter. Here is the US website with models and dealers PGI Moto

The one thing I really like about a gas engine over electric is not having to worry about recharging the electric, we boondock a lot and often don't have the ability to recharge conveniently and the potentially limited range of electric.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

Denver, CO
Ian, thanks, I will take a look at Tomos & PGI Moto. If you search CT 70 clone, or Honda Trail 70 clone (aka Mini Trail), you will find China is producing quite a few close imitations. I don't know about their quality, but I think some are offered in California. Their smaller frames are better suited for kids or circus clowns. ...Not a good first impression at the campground.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Ian, thanks, I will take a look at Tomos & PGI Moto. If you search CT 70 clone, or Honda Trail 70 clone (aka Mini Trail), you will find China is producing quite a few close imitations. I don't know about their quality, but I think some are offered in California. Their smaller frames are better suited for kids or circus clowns. ...Not a good first impression at the campground.
I'll take a look at the Honda clones. The Tomos is make in Slovenia, and they have been making the same basic design since 1954 (with ongoing improvements). The company has an interesting history you can see some of it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomos

What I find cool is the Tomos often gets more looks and comments than by boler does.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #16

Denver, CO
I am not 100% sure about availability of Tomos. Appears there is some, still checking.

I was also intrigued by the Sym Symba a 101 or 110cc motorxycle with a 4 speed. Appears they are discontinued. But worth a search.

But Sym does offer the Wolf Classic 150. It is a classic look 1 cylinder 5 speed that in theory goes 65 mph. When I was young and dumb, I might have tested that. Unfortunately, $2,995. 266lbs dry.
2018 SYM Wolf Classic 150 Reviews, Prices, and Specs
Old 03-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #17

Tennessee
PGI does have a website, but when I click on the listed dealers, they do not have the Tomos listed on their individual websites. I checked Amazon. It has TaoTao scooters but not Tomos. I also checked San Francisco and LA, same thing, nothing listed.

Seemed like a real possibility for a couple of minutes.

I sent an email to Pete at PGI Moto asking how to purchase a Tomos.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

Tennessee
Years ago I road motorcycles. My first bike was a Bridgestone step through. At least I think it was a Bridgestone, green and had a pale yellow leg shield. Not worth much, soon sold it for a real MC and never looked back. Never had a scooter, never even rode one.

The Tomos moped is interesting. So is the Honda Ruckus scooter. Both seem to weight about the same.

Can anyone compare and contrast a scooter vs moped?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #19

Tennessee
IanG
I just reread your comment and realized you have a Tomos. May I ask where you bought it and please note the website if they have one.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
IanG
I just reread your comment and realized you have a Tomos. May I ask where you bought it and please note the website if they have one.
Thanks
I bought it used through the local classifieds, it is a 2008 and only had 1200 km (745 miles) on it. I paid a staggering $500. and no it was not stolen, got all the papers and files on it

These are getting more popular but you can find them used