Cars that perform well as TV's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Cars that perform well as TV's

It's great we have the technology to see what other countries are doing with TV's and towing.

Here is a link to car/towing testing. They really seem to cover all the bases with their test programs. Unlike here where many vehicles get little or no towing tests, just a rubber stamp.

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Would be nice if we could keep the forum about the trailers and not keep going back to the old "but they tow with it in Europe" thing time and time again, as we already know the cars may have the same name they are not built the same!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
As Carol points out, "test results" for vehicles none of us have access to pulling trailers very different in design than any in NA are irrelevant to users of this site who're looking for practical information. This not to mention confusing to many who may be unfamiliar with this Age Old Discussion.

It is an interesting subject in a sit-around-and-jaw way...suggest it would be more appropriate to remove it from the "how-to" section of the Forums, posting it instead in "General Chat", perhaps with a new title more descriptive of its nature.

Something like "Cars and Trailers I wish we could buy in North America but can't".
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
They really seem to cover all the bases with their test programs. Unlike here where many vehicles get little or no towing tests, just a rubber stamp.
You are implying that this test program is some sort of government or official program, when it is just a trailer magazine that conducted the test.

Perhaps you can persuade Car and Driver to do something similar on this side of the pond.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
It's great we have the technology to see what other countries are doing with TV's and towing.

Here is a link to car/towing testing. They really seem to cover all the bases with their test programs. Unlike here where many vehicles get little or no towing tests, just a rubber stamp.

Since the majority of Americans and I suspect Canadians do not tow with their vehicle ,I can see why the US auto manufacturers do not design , offer or test most of their vehicles for towing . Towing is a niche market and luxury , styling ,dependability and gas mileage are of greater importance to the general public. I am not sure if the tow ratings of US vehicles matched their European counterparts , I would choose to tow with what I consider an undersized and under powered vehicle just cause I could
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Tough crowd!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Registry
Well we in North America do have the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) SAE J2807 The SAE standard, “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” which most if not all the auto makers agreed to using - that was until a couple of the big guys pulled out of the deal in the final hours! :-( But not before most of them had actually started to use the test in prep and some of those resulted in the down grading of towing capacity on a number of different makes and styles of vehicles 2 years back. You can be sure that most of them are still using the test even if they aren't bragging about it. But some of the auto manufactures are making it public that they are using the test to set their ratings and are using it in their promotional materials for the vehicle - in fact a press release from Toyota last fall reads in part "Toyota has been compliant with J2807 since 2011"
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #8

Registry
Forgot to mention that GM announced that it will be J2807 compliant on its 2015 model year trucks as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
MC1

Ontario
It was a bit of a surprise to see the Jag and BMW were out gunned in this test. To bad there wasn't a bit more info and details on the vehicles and their drive trains.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
It was a bit of a surprise to see the Jag and BMW were out gunned in this test. To bad there wasn't a bit more info and details on the vehicles and their drive trains.
To bad we don't all live in Europe were this would actually be relevant.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My insurance company would either hate me or drop me....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Tough crowd!
Not really Mike. It's just that I have a way with the ladies:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Not really Mike. It's just that I have a way with the ladies:
Apparently men a well
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm following an equally relevant and no less controversial discussion right now at my favorite "RVing in The People's Republic of China" website, "21Rv.com".

Threadtitle is "Fancy a Favorite Car!" and it's a cliffhanger...here quoting from the opening post just to give y'all a sense of the excitement:

Quote:
Idle all right last night on the Internet, accidentally saw a car forum, all night, completely on top of it! Results of the study was to compare the Italian "Italian" self-propelled double extended C-type car, ready to buy, give retired Father! But the more entangled Parking Car Wash late repair and maintenance is also very troublesome, how do how to do? I have no Xi'an 4S shop ah? !
It goes on for four pages, and here's a sample of the heated exchange that begins on the very first page:

Quote:
Then please start ah, what are considered good timing on before.
Quickly rejoindered by:

Quote:
With in Xi'an, China and Italy with fancy double extensions, and really want to rent to rent, the landlord group to try chanting?
It just gets better from there...here's the link for anyone that cares to follow/ join in/listen and learn.

P.S.

I'm NOT revealing what my screen name is on that site!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
MC1

Ontario
In the end it looks like "Lotus" came out on top!

Let Lotus F1 Demonstrate The Proper Way To Tow A Caravan
Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
In the end it looks like "Lotus" came out on top!

Let Lotus F1 Demonstrate The Proper Way To Tow A Caravan
Looks like the suspension may be a bit worn in that Airstream.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Looks like the suspension may be a bit worn in that Airstream.
No! They couldn't find a ball mount high enough for the Lotus chassis so they installed a lowering kit on the Bullet.