Casita 17' Deluxe and towing with Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #15

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
Thank you Carol H. I really appreciate your detailed response - I didn't know any of this and am so very glad I asked and that this is such a great group of generous people! I'm convinced that we must go with something that is at least rated for 5000lbs and more would be better and I will now ask about the tongue rating. Thank you!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jane I personally dont think you need to jump all the way up to 5000lbs although I know a lot of folks here would support that - personally think that 3500lbs would do just fine -I have towed thousands of miles with a TV rated at 28000lbs with no issues at all but as stated my trailer comes in at about 2500lbs fully loaded which is about 600lbs or more lighter than what you are considering. The problem is there are a limited number of TV's that have the 3500-4000lb tow rate that also have the higher tongue rating needed for the trailer you are wanting.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #17

California
I agree, but part of the problem is I don't see much in between 3500 and 5000 and I think I'd rather have a little more power / leeway than be right on the edge, especially with the apparently heavy tongue weight of the 17' Casita. Does that make sense to you? thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #18

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I would say no to the Ranger. We have one, a 1994 and love it. It has 290,000 miles on it and is on it's 5th trasmission. I would be afraid to tow with one, even the newer ones with the newer trans style still it's the weak link. I know several people here tow with newer ones maybe someone will chime in.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #19

Trailer: casita freedom dlx 17
We have a 17' Casita freedom deluxe and tow it with at 2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner V6.

We just got the camper last year. So far on our few trips it has towed very well. No problems with the truck at all. What I really like about the Tacoma is the smaller size which enables us to manuver the camper into our backyard. We have plenty of power, now on really steep hills I may want more but it is all okay.

Toyota Does not recommend a WDH on our tacoma and things seem to go fine with just the friction sway. The tongue load can be alleviated a bit by adding water to the tank in the back.

Happy travels

Don
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
I agree, but part of the problem is I don't see much in between 3500 and 5000 and I think I'd rather have a little more power / leeway than be right on the edge, especially with the apparently heavy tongue weight of the 17' Casita. Does that make sense to you? thanks!
Jane I really dont think there is a right or wrong answer to your question. If what you buy is within the legal tow limit and you have done all you can to make it a safe tow - ie use a good brake controller, be aware of your stow and tongue weights etc - it all comes down to a personal decision as to how much gas you want to burn on a daily bases for the occasional times you may need the extra power.

The big part of why I lean to the lighter side is what I use the TV for the other 90% of the time when not towing. I live in a big city, so for me it comes down to the fact its very hard to find a parking spot for a big truck around here and I dont have other uses for a larger TV. :-)

Have fun test driving your options - almost as fun as checking out the trailers!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #21

California
Thank you all! We've decided on either an extended cab (have to have space for the little dogs) Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, or Nissan Frontier - which ever we can find the better deal on.

Also, I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses - I have learned so much that I didn't know (and didn't know that I needed to know) and feel so much more confident in buying a TV. What a fabulous generous group of people!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
As I said way earlier in this thread, stick with the Toyota brand, it will outlive the Ranger and maybe even outlive you.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #23

California
You're right!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I tow my 17' Burro with a 2001 Tundra with the V8, the combination works well. I've gone up and down some really steep roads and can stay with traffic no problem. As others have mentioned, the truck is probably a bit overkill for this size trailer, but it's nice to not worry about too much tongue weight and all that. Given the high gas prices though, if I were in the market for another truck, I would seriously look at the current generation V6 4.0 Tacoma.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
I tend to agree with you that even though we've told him we're talking about a 2500lb trailer tops, he might not be hearing us and be thinking that we want to tow a monster size trailer.

I am with Carol H, our Casita 17ft freedom Dlx weighted in at 2800 pounds, Empty! No water, no clothes, no pot's, pans, not even a salt and pepper shaker! And as you saw on Fredericks Weigh in post, they tend to run heavier the newer they are.

When I first purchased the Casita, I owned a Chevy Z71 and it towed the Casita with ease. But purchased a 2009 Tacoma two years ago, while it tow's it nicely I can't imagine towing the Casita with anything smaller. In my opinion that wouldn't be fun at all...... The Tacoma handles it, but in no way is it too much truck for the Casita. Personally I think your mechanic is a smart man! Good luck on your search for the perfect combination.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #26

California
Thank you, ThomasE and Robin G. To be honest, I hadn't considered that the weight might vary that much from the stated weight. I'm so very glad I posted the question! Lots to learn!
thanks again!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #27

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
As I said way earlier in this thread, stick with the Toyota brand, it will outlive the Ranger and maybe even outlive you.
As long as the gas pedal doesn't get stuck! Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Also, I know of a guy who upgraded the engine in his Toyota to a Volvo B230.

Now that will last you. Because of course, the Guinness Worlds Book Record highest mileage for a private vehicle is a Volvo P1800, going on 3 Million miles.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #28

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
As long as the gas pedal doesn't get stuck! Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Also, I know of a guy who upgraded the engine in his Toyota to a Volvo B230.

Now that will last you. Because of course, the Guinness Worlds Book Record highest mileage for a private vehicle is a Volvo P1800, going on 3 Million miles.
Oh come on Clive, all those people had to do was turn off the ignition switch.

Tags
casita