Casita 17' Deluxe and towing with Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #21

Name: Jane
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
California
Thank you all! We've decided on either an extended cab (have to have space for the little dogs) Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, or Nissan Frontier - which ever we can find the better deal on.

Also, I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses - I have learned so much that I didn't know (and didn't know that I needed to know) and feel so much more confident in buying a TV. What a fabulous generous group of people!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
As I said way earlier in this thread, stick with the Toyota brand, it will outlive the Ranger and maybe even outlive you.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #23

California
You're right!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I tow my 17' Burro with a 2001 Tundra with the V8, the combination works well. I've gone up and down some really steep roads and can stay with traffic no problem. As others have mentioned, the truck is probably a bit overkill for this size trailer, but it's nice to not worry about too much tongue weight and all that. Given the high gas prices though, if I were in the market for another truck, I would seriously look at the current generation V6 4.0 Tacoma.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
I tend to agree with you that even though we've told him we're talking about a 2500lb trailer tops, he might not be hearing us and be thinking that we want to tow a monster size trailer.

I am with Carol H, our Casita 17ft freedom Dlx weighted in at 2800 pounds, Empty! No water, no clothes, no pot's, pans, not even a salt and pepper shaker! And as you saw on Fredericks Weigh in post, they tend to run heavier the newer they are.

When I first purchased the Casita, I owned a Chevy Z71 and it towed the Casita with ease. But purchased a 2009 Tacoma two years ago, while it tow's it nicely I can't imagine towing the Casita with anything smaller. In my opinion that wouldn't be fun at all...... The Tacoma handles it, but in no way is it too much truck for the Casita. Personally I think your mechanic is a smart man! Good luck on your search for the perfect combination.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #26

California
Thank you, ThomasE and Robin G. To be honest, I hadn't considered that the weight might vary that much from the stated weight. I'm so very glad I posted the question! Lots to learn!
thanks again!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #27

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
As I said way earlier in this thread, stick with the Toyota brand, it will outlive the Ranger and maybe even outlive you.
As long as the gas pedal doesn't get stuck! Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Also, I know of a guy who upgraded the engine in his Toyota to a Volvo B230.

Now that will last you. Because of course, the Guinness Worlds Book Record highest mileage for a private vehicle is a Volvo P1800, going on 3 Million miles.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #28

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
As long as the gas pedal doesn't get stuck! Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Also, I know of a guy who upgraded the engine in his Toyota to a Volvo B230.

Now that will last you. Because of course, the Guinness Worlds Book Record highest mileage for a private vehicle is a Volvo P1800, going on 3 Million miles.
Oh come on Clive, all those people had to do was turn off the ignition switch.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Oh come on Clive, all those people had to do was turn off the ignition switch.
Clive,

It's called common sense Greg, and unfortunately some people don't have it! What I have never understood (all this went down just after I bought my Tacoma!) but I have never read where acceleration occurred from a dead stop. Example where it went from 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds. To me that then would be an acceleration issue! But when they are supposedly drive down a highway and all of the sudden it's doing 90? hmmmmmmmm, are they sure they didn't lead foot it? Just weird to me. And I hope to never have to experience an issue like that. But I still wonder how...........

Jane, the reason weights vary is that some of the manufactures post weights before things are put in such as Air conditioners, Fridges, heaters, ect........ Some are getting better at it, but most still use the basic/stripped down weight guide. And then the consumer doesn't realize/read the information provided.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #30

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Weight Distribution hitches increase the tongue weight we can have on the tow vehicle and the boler manual says

Quote:
LOAD EQUALIZING HITCH
A load equalizing hitch is recommended which will distribute part of the trailer hitch weight toward the front wheels of your car. This helps to reduce unfavorable hitch weights and sway at highway speeds.
We recommend that you consult your automobile dealer and your R.V. dealer to select a proper hitch that will match your travel trailer to your tow vehicle.
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND COMFORT, have your hitch properly installed by and expert.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #31

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Clive,

It's called common sense Greg, and unfortunately some people don't have it! What I have never understood (all this went down just after I bought my Tacoma!) but I have never read where acceleration occurred from a dead stop. Example where it went from 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds. To me that then would be an acceleration issue! But when they are supposedly drive down a highway and all of the sudden it's doing 90? hmmmmmmmm, are they sure they didn't lead foot it? Just weird to me. And I hope to never have to experience an issue like that. But I still wonder how...........

Jane, the reason weights vary is that some of the manufactures post weights before things are put in such as Air conditioners, Fridges, heaters, ect........ Some are getting better at it, but most still use the basic/stripped down weight guide. And then the consumer doesn't realize/read the information provided.
Robin, I had one of the first year Tacoma's with auto trans and when the ac kicked in at a stop light it would try to launch through the light, you just had to be sure that your foot was on the brake pedal real good.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #32

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Weight Distribution hitches increase the tongue weight we can have on the tow vehicle and the boler manual says

Quote:
LOAD EQUALIZING HITCH
A load equalizing hitch is recommended which will distribute part of the trailer hitch weight toward the front wheels of your car. This helps to reduce unfavorable hitch weights and sway at highway speeds.
We recommend that you consult your automobile dealer and your R.V. dealer to select a proper hitch that will match your travel trailer to your tow vehicle.
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND COMFORT, have your hitch properly installed by and expert.
Borden, the Toyota manual say's that WDH's are not recommended for towing with their vehicles.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Greg H,
I'm sure you meant that Toyota doesn't approve the use of WDH with the Tacoma and not all Toyotas. My 2006 Sienna owner's manual lists maximum load on the hitch as "weight carrying hitch, 158kg (350 lb.) & weight distributing hitch, 238 kg (525 lb.)" page 409.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
Maybe Tacoma's that are 2004 and earlier aren't supposed to use a WDH, although I would find that hard to believe, but it's fine on my 2005.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The owner's manual for our 2008 Tacoma recommends the use of a WDH.
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #36

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Greg H,
I'm sure you meant that Toyota doesn't approve the use of WDH with the Tacoma and not all Toyotas. My 2006 Sienna owner's manual lists maximum load on the hitch as "weight carrying hitch, 158kg (350 lb.) & weight distributing hitch, 238 kg (525 lb.)" page 409.
Hi Tom, I just a while ago had several PM's with another member who also has a Sienna. Originally I was talking about real Toyota's P/U's and 4Runners not little grocery getters. My manuals in bold print advise against WDH's. Your Sienna probably does benefit from a WDH and should be a capable tow vehicle. And again I dont believe any Toyota engineer ever expected people to be towing rv's with a grocery getter.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
Toyota must have added that because mine doesn't. It is a good idea though with the weak rear leafs that were stock. They were upgraded with a TSB that gave us 4 leaf spring packs plus I added airbags that work great.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
I use a WDH with my 2002 4Runner, towing the 17' Escape. And it works great, no swaying or tail wagging whatsoever!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Clive,

Glad you got the humor Robin!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
Glad you got the humor Robin!

Got it! Though I don't find anyone having car issue funny and having just bought a new Toyota when it was all going down I still for the life of me don't understand how the whole "acceleration issue" got so outta control. Basically like Greg said, TURN OFF THE KEY! Now if the Key didn't turn of, well then your S/O/L but at least try.

Tags
casita